Connect Computer to HiFi system
Jul 11, 2012 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

defianttek

New Head-Fier
I'm wondering what the best bang for the buck way to connect my computer to my Hi-Fi system.

Options to explore:
  • USB-DAC
  • High End PCI-E audiocard
  • Studio audio interface
  • Optical into external DAC
Looking to spend up to $600 for this.

My Hi-Fi system consists:
Wharfedale Evo2-40 (pair)
My Hifi Rig in the Sig
Yamaha RX-A710BL (for now, will be getting separate amps)
LG 47LM6200 TV

I had an interest in the PeachTree Audio Decco (the tube interest me) because of their claim that it livens up music. this interests me because I will be primarily using MP3's, from 192-320kbs.

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 9
I am setting up something similar for my home cinema as well (Onkyo NR5008 to Krell showcase power amps)-
If you computer has HDMI, I would connect that to your amp for video and also take the digital out from your computer to an outboard DAC (assuming that it is a higher grade one that the built in DAC in your amp); analog out from the DAC to the amp as a second connection for two channel music listening.

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
I'm wondering what the best bang for the buck way to connect my computer to my Hi-Fi system.

Options to explore:
  • USB-DAC
  • High End PCI-E audiocard
  • Studio audio interface
  • Optical into external DAC

My Hifi Rig in the Sig
LG 47LM6200 TV

I had an interest in the PeachTree Audio Decco (the tube interest me) because of their claim that it livens up music. this interests me because I will be primarily using MP3's, from 192-320kbs.

Is your audio setup going to be 2.0, 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1?
I'm assuming you know the Yamaha's Silent Cinema feature provide headphone surround sound.
I think the Yamaha RX-A710BL is a good pick, It comes with better built in amplifiers then the cheaper Yamaha A/V receivers.
I was looking at getting the RX-A700 myself, ended up getting the RX-V671 (for the price of the RX-V667)

If you use an external DAC between your computer and the receiver, all you will get is 2-channel audio, no surround sound.

If your graphics card has HDMI.
Run HDMI from the graphics card to the Yamaha RX-A710BL, then HDMI from the Yamaha to the LG.
So, for under $20 worth of cable, you computer is hooked to your Hi-Fi.

Or (and) run optical from your motherboard to the Yamaha.

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 9
Going from the computer to the HiFi, all I care about is 2 channel audio as the computer is just a music server. I might add in a sub if I feel I'm lacking bass.

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Going from the computer to the HiFi, all I care about is 2 channel audio as the computer is just a music server. I might add in a sub if I feel I'm lacking bass.

External DAC, sold on eBay, for around $100.
SMSL SD-1955

S/PDIF (coaxial or optical) or USB digital input from the computer
RCA output (to the Yamaha).

you can order "premium" cables from Monoprice.

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #8 of 9

Options to explore:
  1. USB-DAC
  2. High End PCI-E audiocard
  3. Studio audio interface
  4. Optical into external DAC

My Hifi Rig in the Sig

LG 47LM6200 TV

If I understand correctly, your receiver will take digital audio input via coax. That means you have another option, to use a USB > S/PDIF converter between your computer and the receiver. Search here - there's a lot of information on this site. My experience is that they greatly enhance the listening experience of lossy music. I'm partial to the ART Legato, which is in your price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back