Confused!!! What Comply tips are best for the IE8?
Jan 28, 2011 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ickle97116084

New Head-Fier
I have searched the forum and read reviews and comments on Sony hybrid, Sennheissers own stock tips and have tried an old pair of tattered T400s. I have read some comments on users trying the t500, can anyone confirm as one website claims the Comply t400 is suited for the Sennheisser IE8 whereas another website claims the Comply t500 is better. Can any users of either or both are best suited for isolation.

Many thanks,

ickle

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #4 of 15
I wouldn't use comply w/ IE8s as the foam is not only low quality but also absorb the already passive-like treble on the IE8, I would go with decored olives instead, better isolation and does not absorb treble. 

Jan 28, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 15
I rather use Comply foams as cotton buds than earphone tips. Also note that there have been numerous cases of folks dislodging the nozzle of the IE8 when trying to get off the T400s. I suppose the T500s may be a more suitable fit. Those comply tips were a colossal waste of my time=money but that's just my take.

Jan 29, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #6 of 15
I used sensaphonics tool tocheckthe isolation I am getting from my setup (senns own soft foam tips) and I feel I am lacking a little bass. I thought using the comply (t500s) would help but not at the expense of the treble. Will the sony hybridtips suit me better?

Jan 29, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #8 of 15
I think it depends on what kind of sound you prefer, to me, foam or Monsters super tips tend to emphasize the already bass heavy sound signature, while Sony hybrids make it more neutral and balanced sounding. However, the comfly tips are the most comfortable, but the most expensive too because they barely last more than a month for me. 
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #9 of 15
I popped into the Sony centre at Edinburgh West end, they didnt have the hybrid tips for sale. In HMV however they had a set of MDR 35LP which have the hybrid tips (S, M and L) so I got a pair of those for £7.99. Thats only £2.99 (the price of a McDs Big Mac) more than they I would have paid for a pack of hybrids in the Sony centre and I get a pair of earphones too. I will probably never use these but at least I have another pair of earphones to compare too my IE8s.

Just to follow up, I tested all the hybrid tips against a pair of Senns foamy tips and a tattered pair of Comply t400s that have lost the memory (I washed them with water and soap - oops). The medium hybrids tips give me a great seal and good bass response. They don't have as much treble as with foam tips buts it seems all tips are a compromise in some way. Hope this info can help anyone else in the future.

Thanks for your words of wisdom head-fiers.

Ickle.

Feb 16, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #10 of 15
After a few more hours service with the sony hybrids I was still a little underwhelmed by the bass response and poor isolation. I have bought a set of Comply t-500s (mediums) which fitted the ie8s very easily. I am thrilled with the t-500s, they isolate very, very well and this brings out the bass response. Lose a bit of treble to the sony hybrids but gain a lot of bass, I must admit the bass from these ie8s far surpasses anything Ive ever heard and that includes the HD800. Very impressed, I would reccomend the Comply t-500 to all users who are finding they are having isolation and fit issues with the ie8s.

Cheers,

Ickle

Feb 16, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
I wouldn't use comply w/ IE8s as the foam is not only low quality but also absorb the already passive-like treble on the IE8, I would go with decored olives instead, better isolation and does not absorb treble. 

I did try decoring a pair of olives from a pair of faulty SE310s but the lack of a core meant the earphone tips moved too freely and adding a plastic sheath made the foam too rigid which made the olives less squishy and affected isolation. The sony hybrids were better than the decored olives.

My method used to decore and fit the olives might not have been optimal but as I have found the t-500s are perfect the olives are no longer neccessary.

Regards,

Ickle.

May 12, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #13 of 15
After not being able to get a proper fit/seal with the default tips I ordered bothcomply tx500 and sony hybrids. Both fit and seal, which makes me wonder why sennheiser couldnt get this right..

Comply is most comfortnable and by far the best solation. Bass gets maybe too big with them, eq'ing kindof needed. Hybrids are mosr balanced but sound seems a bit constricted (maybe cause of the thinner inside tube?).Also not much isolation with these.
Both are worth trying, but right now im preferring the comply's due to full sound, great isolation and comfort.

Nb t(x)500 fit perfect on the ie8, i guess unlike t400 from what i read. Sony hybrids too slim but will stretch around them with a little effort.

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #14 of 15
I just got TX500's for my IE8's, They are terrible i just bought some Denon 452's whacked on the tx500's on them as well they now sound better then my IE8's( with complys) what a waste of time it's totally killed the highs and meds it's just this crap booming bass overwhelming everything and it's not even good solid bass, Waste of money the hard coated foam ones are still the best.

Don't waste your money for the IE8, They seem amazing for earphones like denon though lol.

Edit: You can improve the sound by cutting about 1mm of the end of the tip, Seems the Treble comes out then, Still not even close to as good as the stock foam pads, Just there more comfortable.

Nat.

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
After a few more hours service with the sony hybrids I was still a little underwhelmed by the bass response and poor isolation. I have bought a set of Comply t-500s (mediums) which fitted the ie8s very easily. I am thrilled with the t-500s, they isolate very, very well and this brings out the bass response. Lose a bit of treble to the sony hybrids but gain a lot of bass, I must admit the bass from these ie8s far surpasses anything Ive ever heard and that includes the HD800. Very impressed, I would reccomend the Comply t-500 to all users who are finding they are having isolation and fit issues with the ie8s.

Cheers,

Ickle

Cheers. I'm glad you got the right size and found a solution. People tend to assume the T-400 is the right size because it works with most earphones, which is why a few IE8s have been ruined. Let me know if you ever have questions. I'm here to help.
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back