Confused soul with some money..
Aug 3, 2010 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rdnrvn

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm relatively new here. And after spending quite a while at these forums, I'm totally confused as to which direction I should take to improve my listening experience. I don't have crazy amount of money, so please go easy on me
smile_phones.gif
Budget is $150-200

I'm looking something for my dorm room and/or while traveling in subways/buses. This is what I currently have:
Audio Source:
Dell Inspiron Laptop
Ipod Touch (First generation, giving me some problems, needs to be repaired/replaced)

Headphones:
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Klipsch Image S4

What I'm confused about is that I dont know whether I need to buy a better pair of headphones or amp and/or dac or better SQ portable player (something which can play FLACs. say, Nationite S flo2)

I listen mainly to rock music.

Thanks for reading!

Aug 3, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 8
Not sure if rockbox firmware works for ipod touch, but if it does, you can play flac.
Amps are only needed where you can't get the volume high enough, basically. And DACs are highly overrated by the Audio Religious.

If you're replacing the ipod, Clip+ is good choice.
If you're gonna fall into the "better sq player" trap, well, stay away from the hifiman. Total ripoff.

As above stated, headphones will make more difference than a dac or amp ever could.

Aug 3, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 8
I think so too. Cuz I've read that ATH-M50 don't improve a lot from an amp or a dac. 

So, in the case of getting new headphones, should I look for something which will run decently directly through my laptop or ipod or should I get something for which I'll need DAC and/or amp soon? I wont have the money immediately for those if I go for a headphone in the 150-200 range 

Aug 3, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
I'm not sure but my signature might be of some help to you understanding where you should allocate your coins to get better SQ.

That breaks it down quite simple :) But one question, by Source Material, do you mean like mp3, FLAC, vinyl etc?

I'm definitely leaning towards a better set of phones now. I should start digging into the other forum.

Aug 4, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #7 of 8
If you plan to stay with Apple for your portable player it's worth investigating ALAC as a lossless audio format. I believe this format is compatible with all of their offerings without the need for firmware changes etc.

Aug 4, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
That breaks it down quite simple :) But one question, by Source Material, do you mean like mp3, FLAC, vinyl etc?

Yes I certainly do. The biggest difference is going from low bitrate mp3s to higher bitrate mp3s and/or lossless files like FLAC.
PS: I'm glad it could be of some help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back