Confused on Tube Choice For The WooAudio3
Jan 20, 2006 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

scm207

100+ Head-Fier
I love tight, slammin' bass. So, for a tube upgrade, I thought I would try a 6336 tube. When I wrote Woo Audio, Mr. Woo replied:

"...the 6336's filament current is 4.7A, not a direct substitute for the
6080/6AS7. Using the 6336 with the WA3 will overload the transformer..."

So then I asked about the 5998 and 7236 and got this response:

"Please bear in mind that the 5998 is not a direct substitute for the 6080. To safely use this tube on the WA3, you must not turn on the unit for more than 2 hours continuous play time which might over heating the power transformer..."

OK. So, what power tube gives me the best shot at slammin' bass, sweet mids & detailed highs but won't overheat my Woo3??
580smile.gif

Jan 20, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #2 of 2
I doubt that you're ever going to get slammin' bass out of the Woo, but if you're looking for more bass then the input tubes are just as important, if not more so, than the output tube in regard to bass quantity and quality.

As far as the Woo* company's recommendations in regard to 5998 and 7236 output tubes, I've been running a Tung Sol 5998 in my WA-3 for about a year now, and I've never had my transformer get more than luke warm, even after having played the amp at loud volume levels for many hours. I also briefly ran a 7236 in the amp, and although I didn't specifically check to see if the amp was running warm or not, I don't recall the amp getting any warmer than normal. There are other Head-Fiers (Captain Z and jamato8 come to mind) that exclusively run the 7236 output tube in their WA-3's, and I've never heard them mention anything about their amps running warm with that tube type. But you can PM them and ask for yourself what their experiences have been with the 7236.

*Although Woo is the name of the company that makes the WA-3, there is in fact no Mr. Woo. The head of the company is a Mr. Wei (or Wie, I don't remember the spelling), but his assistant Jack is probably the one that you corresponded with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back