Confused about the upgrade of Denon AH-C751
Apr 17, 2013 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Ninetou

New Head-Fier
My Denons AH-C751 were going strong for 4.5 years (mostly because of their thick metal housing and stiff & short cable, which required an extension). I didn't like them too much for the first 2 years but, then I decided to experiment with tips one more time and oh boy, I felt madly in love with them. They are covered in scratches, in many places you can see colour of raw metal and, what's more important to me, because I wore them everyday for 6h+ for past 1,642 days, traveling around different countries, moving to different places and meeting new people, for some reason they seem a friend, and its a shame that their life is coming to an end because internal wiring is damaged in the right earphone making it drop the signal.

Let's get to the point
I will be looking to fix them, however I feel like I should replace them with a new pair anyway. I'm slightly confused about what to pick since I would love to try something new when it comes to sound signature and design. I listen to Avant-Garde, Experimental, Instrumentals but also to Chiptune. I just love listening to the music, analysing how all sounds come together, and appreciating the beauty of it. I had a lot of fun with my Denons but they had awful noise isolation (painful when traveling by a bus and plane), and were getting very uncomfortable after 2h. I like how the lows in them were full of energy (unlike lows in S4i) but yet not fatiguing after some time, with quite bright highs and nicely presented yet small soundstage.

Etys HF5/3
At first I was looking at Etys HF5/3 because, according to many opinions, they are second-to-none when it comes to noise isolation (which would allow me to save my hearing). I'm also being curious about their sound signature (clear highs and mids with almost no lows), and the fact that I have never heard BA IEMs before. I don't like however that they have one long cable (I have replaced extension cable 3 times in my Denons because audio jack is always prone to damage).

Shure SE215
I'm also considering them because of their design, which seem to make them very comfortable even when sleeping on the side. I do like that they have detachable cable which, I hope, will translate into long life. I have heard that mids are slightly rolled off in them and therefore I'm not sure if they would satisfy my expectations.

I was looking at many IEMs but to be honest I haven't been much up to date with audio eq in past year so I'm wondering if there is anything else worth buying. Considering my expanses atm, price point for my IEMs would be ~£100 (~$150) but I'm happy to pay more if there's something interesting out there. I'd love metal housing, but I'm ok with plastic as well (I don't want them fail me in the middle of 2months trip).

It got a bit long but well.... There it is. Thank you in advance.

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 10
If you are looking for bassy yet detailed IEMs then UE TF10Pro, Klipsch Image X10, JVC FXZ100, FXZ200, Sony XB90EX, Yamaha EPH100 and GR07BE are highly recommended. GR07 are amazing for the price with tight punchy bass and shows lots of hidden detailed(wider soundstage).

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for suggestions. I have looked at GR07 and EPH100 while I was browsing HeadFi but when I wanted to see how much they cost over in the UK it turned out that they are not available here at all. UE are way beyond my budget, and JVCs don't look comfortable to me. I have been put off by Klipsch when I gave S4i a go. They are not bright and detailed enough to my liking. Are X10s similar?

What do you think about Shures SE215? Are they really that weak when it comes to reproducing detailed mids and highs? I'm wondering because I can get them relatively cheap.

I mentioned that I could buy something with completely different sound signature (as long as it is not lows covering everything else) out of pure curiosity.

Apr 17, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for suggestions. I have looked at GR07 and EPH100 while I was browsing HeadFi but when I wanted to see how much they cost over in the UK it turned out that they are not available here at all. UE are way beyond my budget, and JVCs don't look comfortable to me. I have been put off by Klipsch when I gave S4i a go. They are not bright and detailed enough to my liking. Are X10s similar?

What do you think about Shures SE215? Are they really that weak when it comes to reproducing detailed mids and highs? I'm wondering because I can get them relatively cheap.

I mentioned that I could buy something with completely different sound signature (as long as it is not lows covering everything else) out of pure curiosity.

Just so you know, you can pick up EPH-100 in your country through Audio Affair. Most members were purchasing them there last year. http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/Yamaha-EPH100-Earphones/product_5924

Apr 17, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 10
Thank you for bringing this up. I have found GR07 on eBay UK and was wondering if they are many fakes out there and how risky would it be to buy them:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VSONIC-GR07-MK2-Flagship-Version-Inner-Ear-Earphones-Black-/261144323579?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item3ccd6a25fb

Apr 17, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 10
Thank you for bringing this up. I have found GR07 on eBay UK and was wondering if they are many fakes out there and how risky would it be to buy them:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VSONIC-GR07-MK2-Flagship-Version-Inner-Ear-Earphones-Black-/261144323579?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item3ccd6a25fb

There aren't't any fake Vsonic products we know about to date, so you'll be fine.

I have owned both EPH-100 and GR07 MK2, personally from an audiophile perspective I would take the GR07.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #7 of 10
GR07 seem very promising. I have noticed a tiny gap near the cable on the earphones which would suggest that they have a detachable cable. I couldn't find any info about that so I'm wondering if that's true or is it just their design?

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #9 of 10
Im not sure if that would be a good buy for me. I wear my IEMs everywhere everyday and I can see them being broken after 2 months, especially with L shaped plug. Is there any alternative with similar sound signature but with removable cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back