Confused about setup
Jan 12, 2018 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Tenebras

New Head-Fier
Hello,

Looking to run audio from an iMac to speakers. Do I output from the iMac to a DAC, DAC to an amp and then amp to the speakers?

If so, do I need to be looking for any specific outputs on the iMac or would it just be USB?

Sorry, noob questions, just trying to wrap my head around it.

Thanks.

Jan 12, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 15
you've got it exactly right -- usb out to dac to amp to speakers

Jan 12, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 15
There are many different configs - from simplest to...more expensive:

1. iMac headphone output direct to stereo powered speakers / active monitors with analogue inputs (inputs 3.5mm, RCAs or XLRs). e.g. JBL LSR305 around $200 or Focal Shape 65s for $2,000)
2. iMac USB output to stereo powered speakers with USB inputs (e.g. Audioengine A2+ $250) - this isn't tons different from 1 except you're now relying on the quality of the speakers' DAC being better than that of the iMAC)
3. mish-mash of 1 and 2 - e.g. Dynaudio Xeo 2 ($999) - these speakers can be run from analogue, optical (which wouldn't work from the iMAC without a USB-optical adapter), and Bluetooth wireless
4. iMAC USB out > external USB DAC > stereo powered speakers. You're relying on the quality bump of the external DAC here. e.g. Chord Mojo ($500), Chord Qutest ($1800)
5. iMAC USB out > USB amp > passive speakers. There are now a neat range of amps with USB inputs. See here http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/desktop-usb-amplifiers-usb-amplifiers -- you're reliant on the quality of the amps' DAC, but have more choice over which passive speakers to go with. Cost variables are which amp, which speakers. Speakers could be anything from say $100 for used bookshelves or a DIY kit to hmmm, let's say $1,700 for ATC SCM12Pros
6. iMac USB out > external USB DAC > conventional analogue stereo power amp > stereo pair passive speakers (this would just be like a normal home hifi setup with computer as source). Could run from a couple hundred bucks to infinity.

I think a sane person would choose 1. An audio nut would go 4 or 6 :D

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 15
There are many different configs - from simplest to...more expensive:

1. iMac headphone output direct to stereo powered speakers / active monitors with analogue inputs (inputs 3.5mm, RCAs or XLRs). e.g. JBL LSR305 around $200 or Focal Shape 65s for $2,000)
2. iMac USB output to stereo powered speakers with USB inputs (e.g. Audioengine A2+ $250) - this isn't tons different from 1 except you're now relying on the quality of the speakers' DAC being better than that of the iMAC)
3. mish-mash of 1 and 2 - e.g. Dynaudio Xeo 2 ($999) - these speakers can be run from analogue, optical (which wouldn't work from the iMAC without a USB-optical adapter), and Bluetooth wireless
4. iMAC USB out > external USB DAC > stereo powered speakers. You're relying on the quality bump of the external DAC here. e.g. Chord Mojo ($500), Chord Qutest ($1800)
5. iMAC USB out > USB amp > passive speakers. There are now a neat range of amps with USB inputs. See here http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/desktop-usb-amplifiers-usb-amplifiers -- you're reliant on the quality of the amps' DAC, but have more choice over which passive speakers to go with. Cost variables are which amp, which speakers. Speakers could be anything from say $100 to let's say $1,700 for hmm, ATC SCM12 Passive Pros
6. iMac USB out > external USB DAC > conventional analogue stereo power amp > stereo pair passive speakers (this would just be like a normal home hifi setup with computer as source). Could run from a couple hundred bucks to infinity.

I think a sane person would choose 1. An audio nut would go 4 or 6 :D

Thank you. I am leaning towards 6, it's just a little confusing as I'm not super in-the-know about technology names or suggested pairings down that route.

Any suggestions?

I was looking at the Schiit Bifrost but couldn't really find an amp to pair it with. Almost everywhere I look it's all to do with headphones and not speakers, thus the confusion :)

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 15
Thank you. I am leaning towards 6, it's just a little confusing as I'm not super in-the-know about technology names or suggested pairings down that route.

Any suggestions?

I was looking at the Schiit Bifrost but couldn't really find an amp to pair it with. Almost everywhere I look it's all to do with headphones and not speakers, thus the confusion :)
i agree that either mac > usb dac > powered speakers or mac > usb dac > amp > speakers is the way to go.

what's your budget and where will the system be? just too many dacs, amps, and speakers out there . . . .

Jan 12, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 15
i agree that either mac > usb dac > powered speakers or mac > usb dac > amp > speakers is the way to go.

what's your budget and where will the system be? just too many dacs, amps, and speakers out there . . . .

If I can get it all for £500-750 I'd be happy but I am prepared to go to £1000.

I was looking at the Q Acoustics 3020 Bookshelf Speakers as they are well-reviewed and look like a good size for my desk.

This will be for my desk at home. I don't want or need the speakers to be very loud as I mostly listen to soft classical, jazz and opera; but ultimately I just don't listen too loud out of consideration of my environment in that I have others living with me.

Jan 12, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 15
$1,000 is plenty for a quality desktop setup. Diff configs I'd consider:

1. JBL LSR350s - $200 for a pair and you're done! You can upgrade by adding a USB DAC down the road (e.g. Chord Mojo, Pro-Ject S2)
5. Teac AI-301DA DAC/AMP to yes, I'd also go for Q Acoustics 2010/2020/3010/3020s passives
6. Chord Mojo > SMSL or Topping amp from Parts Express > Q passives or if you're DIY inclined, the Hitmakers from the Part-Express kit which are designed specifically for desktop nearfield https://www.parts-express.com/hitma...speaker-kit-with-knock-down-cabinet--300-7116

Just realized you're in the UK; another "all-in-one" option to consider is Q's active BT3 - treat it like another option 1 or much cheaper Dynaudio Xeo's
https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/bt3-active-bookshelf-speakers-with-bluetooth.html

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #11 of 15
$1,000 is plenty for a quality desktop setup. Diff configs I'd consider:

1. JBL LSR350s - $200 for a pair and you're done! You can upgrade by adding a USB DAC down the road (e.g. Chord Mojo, Pro-Ject S2)
5. Teac AI-301DA DAC/AMP to yes, I'd also go for Q Acoustics 2010/2020/3010/3020s passives
6. Chord Mojo > SMSL or Topping amp from Parts Express > Q passives or if you're DIY inclined, the Hitmakers from the Part-Express kit which are designed specifically for desktop nearfield https://www.parts-express.com/hitma...speaker-kit-with-knock-down-cabinet--300-7116

Just realized you're in the UK; another "all-in-one" option to consider is Q's active BT3 - treat it like another option 1 or much cheaper Dynaudio Xeo's
https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/bt3-active-bookshelf-speakers-with-bluetooth.html

Thank you. I like the look of the Teac. Of the three options, which would you go for personally in my position?

Jan 13, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #12 of 15
Thank you. I like the look of the Teac. Of the three options, which would you go for personally in my position?

My thoughts:
- 80-90% of the sound quality from a desktop setup is determined by the speakers
- most home hi-fi speakers are not designed for nearfield listening on a desktop; pro/studio active monitors are, however -- plus you won't need a separate amp
- speakers are the most personal thing; nobody can tell you what's best; it's all taste - you need to go audition or home trial (with return) several pairs

I'd go back to option 1 but look at higher quality options like Adam A5X, Focal Alpha 65, Dynaudio Lyd-5, even Focal Shape 50 if you can push the budget

Upgrade options down the road would be a nice USB DAC and a subwoofer, but I'd start with good monitors first.

Jan 13, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #14 of 15
Yes, look here https://www.focal.com/sites/www.foc...alog/document/shape50_specification-sheet.pdf

The Focals have XLR and RCA analogue inputs. Balanced inputs from balanced outputs are best, but you could just start with a standard 3.5mm (mac out) to 2x RCA stereo cable (n.b. the left speaker needs 1 RCA input, the right needs another, so make sure the RCA cable sides are separable and not stuck together).

The DACMagic is OK but quite old and maybe not a huge improvement over the Mac's built-in. The Pro-Ject S2 is recent and would offer more an upgrade. A Chord Hugo TT balanced out would be the ultimate :D

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #15 of 15
Hello,

Looking to run audio from an iMac to speakers. Do I output from the iMac to a DAC, DAC to an amp and then amp to the speakers?

If so, do I need to be looking for any specific outputs on the iMac or would it just be USB?

Sorry, noob questions, just trying to wrap my head around it.

Thanks.

Yeah that's not bad but I would get an audio interface just to take the load of your computer. Any decent brand with RCA outputs (Not 1/4") should be fine. Usually less than a $100 bucks and will increase the life of your iMac as well (Due to the "lack" of load).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back