CONFUSED: $100 range? hd280/dt231/hd497/hp890?
Sep 1, 2002 at 6:42 PM Post #31 of 43
ex70s. they are canal phones. they are $50, they block out a good amount of noise, they have a lot of bass. they look pretty cool too...

$42 if you run a search on yahoo shopping or pricegrabber.com

Sep 1, 2002 at 8:51 PM Post #32 of 43
a1leyez0nm3

ive had the ex70s for a few years, since i lived in japan, and have loved them. theyre probably nothing compared to etys, but hey, i only paid 3800yen.

my g/f doesnt really go for ear buds, but i appreciate your suggestion...

unfortunately, during my ruse to make my g/f think that the 212 or 497s were for me, and she was just trying them on in order to offer me a second opinion, my g/f stated that she didnt like how either pair were silver. she did like the sound of the 212s tho.

she prefers inconspicuous black headphones. so...im looking at BLACK, lightweight, comfortable, headphones with good BASS for my g/f....i think that v6s might be good soundwise, but not in terms of comfortability for her. she likes her SUPRA-aural pair, which are bass heavy...but so unrefined in sound.

as for my headphones...still looking at the hp890s, sony d66s, senn 280s, etc...

keep the suggestions coming.
thanks!

Sep 2, 2002 at 5:04 AM Post #33 of 43
Oh oh oh !!! Phillips SBC HP550!!!

they look really cool and only like $30 at target. but oh wait, they are silver. but they still look really cool! they are shiny silver, with like a blue reflection sorta.

or you could go.... sennheiser hd280 pro, maybe. they are black. completely black. they have really good bass, but there just isnt loads of mid bass like other phones. they go really deep tho

Sep 2, 2002 at 6:07 AM Post #34 of 43
thanks a1leyez0nm3

for the gf, the 280s may be a bit big in size, ill see if i can find a local pair for her to try on. i did a search for the 280s here at head-fi to read more on them, and read the post by alan on beyer 250-80 vs senn hd280 (more or less):

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...threadid=15429

he seemed to like the beyer 250-80s...which are about $70 more than i wanted to spend....while the 280s are within my sub $100 range.

im waiting for the beyer 231s i bought from meithkiller to arrive, so maybe my problem is solved for MY use....and if they dont work, i might just have to spring for the 250-80s...oy.

however, im still searching for phones for the gf...if only grados would fit her needs....

Sep 2, 2002 at 7:20 AM Post #35 of 43
Well - I'll be getting both the D22 and D66 Eggos in about a week. I'll let you know what they're like in comparison with the other phones we discussed here if you're interested.

Sep 3, 2002 at 12:59 AM Post #36 of 43
you should really try the hp550s

philips_hp550.jpg

Sep 4, 2002 at 2:33 AM Post #38 of 43
hp550s vs d22/d66 eggos?

hey a1leyez0nm3, any idea how the philips compare to either sony eggos? have you or anyone else tried both? i do recognize that theres a rather sizeable price difference ($30 philips to $100 sony), so i dont expect *too* much out of the philips.

im really considering getting d66 eggos for myself and/or gf. magicthyse, please do chime in when you get your 22s and 66s.

thanks all! youve all been tons of help.

Sep 4, 2002 at 3:13 AM Post #39 of 43
nanahachi,

You said you were looking for inconspicuous headphones. Well you might as well take the 280's off your list of possibles cause inconspicuous they aren't. Don't get me wrong I love my 280's but the design is not lets say "fashion conscious". In other words they make you look like a big dork.

Phil

Sep 4, 2002 at 5:30 AM Post #40 of 43
i havent heard the eggos, but i have heard they dont have that good of bass/much bass. the 550s sound like 212 lites, well sorta. they look really cool tho.. they sound pretty good. if you have ex70s, the 550s arent really much better then the ex70s. they are a bit lighter on the bass, and a bit lighter on the mid-treble, and have better mids, but comparable sorta. the 280s are pretty large, but if you have long/ big hair, they might not be too much of a problem. they are completely black tho and they have great bass, but they are a bit hard in the treble, maybe a little forward sounding sorta. if you want something that sounds like the ex70s but sounds a lot better go Sony V6. you wont be disapointed. if you want lots of isolation and v6 sound, or more soundstage, go 280pro. you do have to get used to the 280 pro sound though. it has very very tight, deep bass, but not loads of midbass, like the ex70s, which you just have to adjust to.

Sep 4, 2002 at 5:56 AM Post #41 of 43
elnero:

yeah, i agree about the 280s. "inconspicuous" is supposed to be for my g/f's headphones, as she didnt like how the senn212 or 497s were silver. i may get her a pair of black eggos....

a1leyez0nm3:

thanks for the extra words...ill see if i can ill pick up a pair of 550s locally and give them a listen. given that i find that i like their sound, perhaps if my g/f doesnt like their look, ill start using the 550s instead of my ex70s. who knows til i try them.

like you & elnero wrote in evil.jelly's thread....this site is damn addictive...im less than a month old lurking and posting here, and im addicted. dvds, crack, and saving $$$...who needs em...im already greedily considering what headphones i should move onto next...

im really curious how to compare the hp890s and the eggos, since they have become the forerunners in the "should the dt231s not work out now i need another pair of headphones race."

I added this to my first post in this thread, but will add this here too:

9/4/02 EDIT:
after reading asc236's thread on senn 590s, i feel like i should add something more. i definitely agree that i probably prefer LESS bass to the fidelity of the sound of accoustic guitar and more precise detail of the other instruments or subtle sounds (like a hidden cymbol crash or some cool little electric sample in the N.E.R.D. cd for instance). i love the twang or flick/slap sound from an accoustic bass...i possess no doctorate in music or music theory so excuse my imprecise language, but i do love the subtle details in music.

from my list of cds, you could say that i do listen to rather bass heavy music; however, i NEVER have my megabass button turned on when im out and about and using my portable, and at home im forced to turn down the bass due to overly sensitive (read ridiculously anal) upstairs neighbors. listening to cds, and finding hidden treasures among those subtle sounds is part of what makes music so enjoyable for me.

now, whether this is possible on a sub $100 budget, i dont know. certainly, after im done moving and buying furniture, ill start saving a for truly nice pair of phones for HOME, for several hundred bucks perhaps? who knows....

hope that sheds some light.

really, thanks to everyone who's read this and offered up suggestions!

Sep 6, 2002 at 5:45 PM Post #42 of 43
*** before I get into my review...I'm beginning to think about getting an amp (around $100) to use both with my portable Sony PCDP and with my computer at work (unknown soundcard....i'll look into it). i tried looking for the review Jan Meier did last week on an amp, but didnt find it, not yet at least, I will try again. If anyone knows the url for the thread, please post it. Also, i did a search for meta 42, but couldnt find where to actually buy one. i will keep reading reviews on it, and maybe ill discover where to procure one. any help you guys and gals can lend would be great (i hope this isnt too off topic!! sorry mods!!)***

Well, my Beyer DT231s have arrived, and while i've only had them on for 20 mins or so....but i really like them.

here's my tyro-approach review of them, EXTREMELY superficial since im pretty inexperienced:

Comfort:
A little heavier than the Sony MDR-v2's i was using. the velour pads make my ears feel warmer than the pseudo-leather on the Sony's, but I like the soft velvety feel more. the self-adjusting band (like that of the philips hp890) is nice in that i dont have to do anything to make them fit just right, and it's very comfortable atop my head. We'll see how they feel a few hours from now.

Sound:
My g/f and bass fanatics probably would not go for these at all. However, I really like the way they sound. Listening to the Red Hot Chili Peppers "One Hot Minute," I can hear every strum and note from the accoustic and electric guitars...so nice. I'd say they have a very nice and detailed midrange. The human voices seem a bit recessed, but it could be this recording.

I will edit this portion later, since I'm sick, and am sure the congestion in my head is affecting the sound. I will also try them with my more bass-heavy cds later.

But i love they way they make the accoustic guitar stand out!

Leakage/Isolation:
Well, as far as i can tell, there is minimal leakage with these phones. I'll ask my coworkers later if they hear anything.

As far as isolation goes, while i can hear my neighbor's phone ring, i cannot hear the conversations going on around me. Therefore, perfect!

Conclusion:
I will have to get back to this later, but I think i will rather enjoy these phones. It could be that I won't find them comfortable for hours on end, or that the strong midrange/highs are fatiguing on my ears, but i won't know till i give them more of a chance.

thanks meithkiller.

I'm STILL searching for a pair of phones for my g/f, may end up getting her sony d66-eggos....

Sep 6, 2002 at 9:13 PM Post #43 of 43
They are capable of producing quite a serious bit of bass - although it depends on your source as well of course.

They will blow the Sennheiser HD280's out of the water, bass-wise... (Although I do admit that's like saying I won the "Mr. Loquacious" contest ahead of George Bush...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back