CONFUSED: $100 range? hd280/dt231/hd497/hp890?
Aug 29, 2002 at 4:58 PM Post #16 of 43
A cheap semi-supraaural bass-phone with good dynamics elsewhere? The Sennheiser HD 212 Pro, no contest. Looks good IMHO too for a cheapo phone. I think it might actually suit girls better than us lot.

Good isolation, minimal leakage. Superlight - as light as the Beyers in practical terms. Hopefully she doesn't have too wide a face as it can exert a bit too much pressure if you have a huge head.

Major demerits for portable use:
Double-sided cable entry (some ppl have a prob with that) and a very long cord which you'll have to ziptie for portable applications.

Alternatively, Eggos. I have no experience of these but they seem popular with headphone beginners, because they fold, look good and can be easily powered from weedy equipment. Now why hasn't an image merchant like me invested in a pair yet
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Why not be casually flicking thru printouts of headphones from the web when she comes in? Ask her opinions about X?

Aug 29, 2002 at 5:21 PM Post #17 of 43
hahaha

thanks magicthyse!! good suggestions, im gonna look into both of those. nice idea too, i think ill use that one

for the eggos, any experience with the 22s or 66s? did you ever pick up the 22s for gaming?

anyone else who knows about eggos, please do chime in!

Aug 29, 2002 at 5:24 PM Post #18 of 43
No, but a friend has ordered the D22's and I'm going to listen to his when he gets them in about a week. I'll be able to tell you the difference between HD212/DT231/D22SL after that.

Aug 29, 2002 at 8:35 PM Post #20 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by a1leyez0nm3
sony EX70 canal phones. or HD212.
i have heard the eggos dont have that much bass, but i could be mistaken

What did you think about the headband design of the 212 and how it matched to your head/hair? Curious.

Aug 29, 2002 at 9:20 PM Post #21 of 43
adding on to Magicthyse's question:

im going to search the forum for any comparisons, but does anyone have any thoughts on Senn HD497 vs HD212?

similar looks, similar price....any specific differences?

thanks

Aug 29, 2002 at 9:45 PM Post #22 of 43
oh screw it. just buy grados. i think if you put your mind to it they can be made perfectly comfortable (i didn't notice any issue). plus they're extremely sturdy and they're huge performers when you're looking for "bang". go to the used section and pick up some 125's or something. if not sr60's are pretty damn good for $65. blows away boring sony's.

edit: yeah i'm an idiot, i already read this one. might want to try mods for grados. i'm all for them now on the lower end of price spectrum.

still though, since it goes up a lot from sub-$100, might want to scope the buy/sell/trade board for some good deals. maybe end up with some cheap HD580's or something, which would beat the pants off of 497's...

Aug 29, 2002 at 10:03 PM Post #23 of 43

Aug 30, 2002 at 4:55 PM Post #24 of 43
are there any other thoughts on:

Philips HP890 vs Senn HD280 vs Sony MDR-D66sl Eggo?
theres nowhere nearby that i can find which stocks these, therefore i cant try any out myself

Also, HD212 vs HD497?
does one sound far different than the other? see above post regarding my g/f's music tastes if necessary.

i'm looking to order a pair SOON, so if you guys have thoughts, dont hold 'em back =)

thanks!

Aug 31, 2002 at 6:03 AM Post #25 of 43
no to grados. a BIG NO. 212 is closed, so they seal out lots of noise, and they have lots more bass then the 497... the 212 would probably be better for your GF

i already said about the 280, but i dont think that your GF would think that they look very cool...

and magicthyse:

i thought they looked goofy on my head... the ball pivot joint just looks strange... but not too bad, the would probably look much better on somone elses head. I know what you are pointing at with this question, so i am just going to ignore it.. and im probably going to get a new pair of EX70s for portable anyway, or etys if i have money. i looked in the mirror with my 280s the other day and I realized how ugly they really are.... i wish i had the V6 almost. oh well. i dont really care too much about the approval of other people anyway.. a really cool looking headphone for portable is the Phillips HP550 i think the model is.. you would probably like them. my brother left them after he went to college in switzerland, so i use them sometimes on the go. they sound ok, and they block out a bit of noise, and they look pretty cool...

Aug 31, 2002 at 4:10 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by nanahachi
are there any other thoughts on:

Philips HP890 vs Senn HD280 vs Sony MDR-D66sl Eggo?
theres nowhere nearby that i can find which stocks these, therefore i cant try any out myself

Also, HD212 vs HD497?
does one sound far different than the other? see above post regarding my g/f's music tastes if necessary.

i'm looking to order a pair SOON, so if you guys have thoughts, dont hold 'em back =)
thanks!

The HP890 will be heads and shoulders above the phones you mentioned. If you intend to use them in a mobile fashion then perhaps something smaller like the Koss-35 or even the Sony 66s will do but for pure sound quality stick with the HP890.

Aug 31, 2002 at 4:58 PM Post #27 of 43
What about these ? They're rated as high as the HP890's by these guys.

Grrr. They gave the RP-FDA100 3 stars.
(However I have to agree with their eval...)

Aug 31, 2002 at 5:05 PM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

and magicthyse:

i thought they looked goofy on my head... the ball pivot joint just looks strange... but not too bad, the would probably look much better on somone elses head. I know what you are pointing at with this question, so i am just going to ignore it.. and im probably going to get a new pair of EX70s for portable anyway, or etys if i have money. i looked in the mirror with my 280s the other day and I realized how ugly they really are....

You realized just now?
rolleyes.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
And what was I pointing at? I was curious as to what other people think of the forward-canted, spoiler-like band design.

Quote:

a really cool looking headphone for portable is the Phillips HP550 i think the model is.. you would probably like them. my brother left them after he went to college in switzerland, so i use them sometimes on the go. they sound ok, and they block out a bit of noise, and they look pretty cool...

Very Eggoey. I've never seen them before.

Aug 31, 2002 at 5:11 PM Post #29 of 43
I'm a headphone "beginner", and I love my D66s. They just sound "right" to me.
Mind you, I've not really tried anything else, so I can't compare.
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2002 at 11:34 PM Post #30 of 43
ok, now i have to do my homework

other than meier, any recs for retailers (online) that I can order headphones only avail in Europe from? the technics are europe only it seems, and meier has the hp890s (which im kinda leaning towards for my own use)

still not sure about phones for gf, will try to get her to try on 212/497s today...

keep the suggestions coming!!!
thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back