Confession time..Your most useless upgrade?
Oct 31, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #32 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by n00b
I bought a Super-Mini Moy and ended up selling it.. The sound quality to price to portability/convenience wasn't worth it..

Same for me, but with PA2V2. It's just been sitting there but I'm keeping it for now to compare with my Xin.

Maybe I'm just not an amp guy. People talk about great improvements through sources that I've used. I have never heard a huge difference. My ears are not the gold I guess.

Oct 31, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #33 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
The only useful upgrade is my next upgrade.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

That should be your moniker, bro!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
Wiring my Senn 580 directly into my amp. Figured it might offer a tiny improvement since it would eliminate some wires, solder joints, and the connectors themselves from the signal path. There was absolutely no difference.

Yikes! I can't see myself doing that, I'm too content with my Mu...
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
Lucky for me I tried my most useless upgrade for free. I tried the Cardas wooden blocks under my components and I honestly could hear no difference.

Dang, I'm jealous, I always wanted to know how those worked
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
Cardas RCA caps.
rcacaps.jpg

But, they do add some style points to the back of my components.

Hearing this makes me want to take a trip to Bandon to check out Cardas in person on behalf of HeadFi
smily_headphones1.gif
My HPI was a nice upgrade IMO and I'd love to know what they have in store and how they go about doing their stuff...
(and who knows? George Cardas could always pull a John Grado, and come out with a produt for the 'Fi
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
My first amp, a Total Airhead. Sounded worse than unamped in almost every case.

I can remember wanting one really bad when I first joined HeadFi...

580smile.gif
Abe

Oct 31, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #34 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by n00b
I bought a Super-Mini Moy and ended up selling it.. The sound quality to price to portability/convenience wasn't worth it..

Oh, great, so you're saying *I* had the honor of buying your most useless upgrade?

ROFL.

I just sold it on e-bay. Not because I didn't like it. I did. Listened to it for the better part of a month without once changing batteries. It's really a nice little amp, but now I have an SR 71, which I expect will be my regular amp.

My most useless upgrade ...?

A JBL subwoofer. Should have left the speakers to handle it until I could save enough to buy a better one
frown.gif

Andy

Oct 31, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #35 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyKatz
Oh, great, so you're saying *I* had the honor of buying your most useless upgrade?

LOL....I had the same experience with a past transaction about an interconnect sold to me by a Head-fier who posted how much he hated his cable few days after the transaction. How insensitive.....
biggrin.gif

Useless upgrade? I'm working on it. I'm looking for a special 500$ casing for a 1500$ amp...
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

Oct 31, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #37 of 48
Zu BOK power cord for my Arcam CD23T compact disc player.
I honestly could not tell any difference between it and the stock power cord. Even when I concentrated on how much it cost me.
icon10.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #38 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Boutique interconnects. Absolute waste of money I'd have been as well flushing my money down the toilet.

Hey, at least you get a pretty looking cable to decorate your gear with... which you don't get flushing money down the toilet
tongue.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #39 of 48
Pandafeet Isolation squishy sorbothane feet. I can't tell the diff! But the isoblocks rule, I've used those under plenty of things.

Oct 31, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #40 of 48
rat shack rca center, main and surround speakers. i replaced the center with a paradigm center and moved my advent prodigies into the mains spot. i still use a pair of rca's for surrounds, though.

Nov 1, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #41 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyKatz

ROFL.

I just sold it on e-bay. Not because I didn't like it. I did. Listened to it for the better part of a month without once changing batteries. It's really a nice little amp, but now I have an SR 71, which I expect will be my regular amp.

My most useless upgrade ...?

A JBL subwoofer. Should have left the speakers to handle it until I could save enough to buy a better one
frown.gif

Andy

LMAO, it sounded great and all, I liked that, its just my Karma died so I had no use to bring an amp that was twice the size of my flash player that I used. Oh well, I have your money!

Nov 1, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #42 of 48
hd 595's lasted me a whole 3 hours till screwed them up (my fault). Quickest waste of $170 I have ever done.

Then I had to replace them, so bought the 580s, blew the 595s away out of the box. Hasnt broken yet
smily_headphones1.gif

With that much money I wasted, I shouldve just gotten the 650s and be done with it.

I see in the future I will most likely attain all three senn flagships. the XX5 series just left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Nov 1, 2005 at 8:37 AM Post #43 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
hd 595's lasted me a whole 3 hours till screwed them up (my fault). Quickest waste of $170 I have ever done.
Then I had to replace them, so bought the 580s, blew the 595s away out of the box. Hasnt broken yet
smily_headphones1.gif

With that much money I wasted, I shouldve just gotten the 650s and be done with it.
I see in the future I will most likely attain all three senn flagships. the XX5 series just left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Hehe, I never thought you to be an HD580 man
580smile.gif
Ever since I got mine, I've not needed much else besides a working Karma...
biggrin.gif
Abe

Nov 2, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #44 of 48
Quail power cord. Plugged them into everything I could. Even soldered one onto my digital amp. Don't think they made a lick of difference in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back