cones. not the ice cream kind, either
Jul 18, 2001 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MooGoesTheCow

500+ MOOOderator: Needs a better MOOOOmate
man, it's hard keeping up with jude, but i bought two sets of cones to isolate my speakers and reduce vibrations.

Mapleshade Surefoot Cones, to be exact

SUREFOOT_lg.jpg

these are absolutely positively hardcore cones. they're heavy, exude quality, and pointy
smily_headphones1.gif
*ouch, watch those fingers*

and as for how they sound? they've pretty much eliminated the muddy bass i was getting from my speakers. the soundstage is now pinpoint, and it's like everything sounds more precise. isolation plays a huge role in audio systems, as i've just found out. i thought my amp was giving me the muddy bass, but as it turns out, it was because the speakers were flat on my table. if you can't afford (or don't have space for) stands, these do a remarkable job, and i could not recommend them more highly.

click here for more info.

i am so impressed, i will be buying another set for my cd player shortly.

Jul 18, 2001 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 5
hmmmm.. interesting. How sturdy is it though? The picture of the cones in action (from your link) shows the cones on what I think to be carpet. Isn't carpet bad for acoustics? And would they still be sturdy on hardwood floors?

thx,
-g

Jul 18, 2001 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by gorgon_123
hmmmm.. interesting. How sturdy is it though? The picture of the cones in action (from your link) shows the cones on what I think to be carpet. Isn't carpet bad for acoustics? And would they still be sturdy on hardwood floors?

thx,
-g

Gorgon

Don't think its carpet (no sinkage in the pile under the weight of the component), looks more like concrete - a great hifi base. BTW, you're absolutely right that carpet is NOT the ideal hifi base as it isn't rigid. However, cones (or even better, spikes) help alleviate this by going THROUGH the carpet and underlay to anchor the equipment to the underlying floorboards or concrete base.

Cheers
Hamsta

Users who are viewing this thread

Back