Conclusions...
Apr 27, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Absolutely awesome post seacard.
eek.gif

Thanks. I'm trying hard to get onto your "Particularly Cool Head-Fiers" list. How many great posts does it take to get there?
wink.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard
Thanks. I'm trying hard to get onto your "Particularly Cool Head-Fiers" list. How many great posts does it take to get there?
wink.gif

Wow we even think alike.
very_evil_smiley.gif

There you go .....

Apr 27, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #33 of 40
It is funny how I both like some of the headphones which you rated highly and dislike others. This hobby is a strange one for sure.
wink.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 11:59 AM Post #34 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I am so impressed with the 701's I am still debating with myself why I ordered the Grados today. The GS1000 descriptions are very close to how I view the 701. Will the GS1000 be worth three times the cost of the 701's?
confused.gif
I hope so!

As long as you take into account diminishing returns
wink.gif

I find it hard to believe that anything can be 3x better than something that is already classified as good/very good.

Apr 27, 2006 at 2:39 PM Post #35 of 40
Seacard,
An excellent review. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience, it was most enlightening.

I always have great respect for the ear of an experienced musician. There's no better reference than the real thing!

Cheers!

Apr 27, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #36 of 40
seacard, interesting analysis, can't say I totally agree (especially the K1000, R10, Orpheus comparo).

What's funny is that one really doesn't know until you *live* with these headphones, i.e. I've had the wonderful opportunity of listening to all of these headphones but you really don't know until your in quiet place all alone with your setup before you go "YEA" or "NAY."

With that said, impressions are fun to say the least!
k1000smile.gif

Also, what amp did you hear the Qualia's with? (they are very sensitive as are all of the top headphones)

Apr 27, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor
seacard, interesting analysis, can't say I totally agree (especially the K1000, R10, Orpheus comparo).

What's funny is that one really doesn't know until you *live* with these headphones, i.e. I've had the wonderful opportunity of listening to all of these headphones but you really don't know until your in quiet place all alone with your setup before you go "YEA" or "NAY."

With that said, impressions are fun to say the least!
k1000smile.gif

Also, what amp did you hear the Qualia's with? (they are very sensitive as are all of the top headphones)

I didn't really do an Orpheus comparison since I haven't spend much time with it. I was trying to limit it to dynamics at this point. The R10 was really something special to me, but I know opinions differ.

I heard the Qualia with a Supra, an MPX3 SLAM, and balanced through an SDS-XLR. I also had a brief listen with a GS-1. With those, I would definitely say that it is in the upper echelon, but just a little short of the R10 or the K1000 at its best. But you're absolutely correct... some amps are just not right or some headphones, which is why I'm a little hesitant to call something best or worst, given I haven't (and never will) be able to try it with every amp combination. I also use a Meridian 508.24 CD Player, and realize that these combinations may sound different with a Cary or an EMM or a Wadia.

Apr 27, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #39 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard
I didn't really do an Orpheus comparison since I haven't spend much time with it. I was trying to limit it to dynamics at this point. The R10 was really something special to me, but I know opinions differ.

I heard the Qualia with a Supra, an MPX3 SLAM, and balanced through an SDS-XLR. I also had a brief listen with a GS-1. With those, I would definitely say that it is in the upper echelon, but just a little short of the R10 or the K1000 at its best. But you're absolutely correct... some amps are just not right or some headphones, which is why I'm a little hesitant to call something best or worst, given I haven't (and never will) be able to try it with every amp combination. I also use a Meridian 508.24 CD Player, and realize that these combinations may sound different with a Cary or an EMM or a Wadia.

seacard, cool beans, yeah, the SDS-XLR and Qualia is something I just experienced at the National Meet. Very magical to say the least. With that said, I have to agree with you that the balanced R10's and SDS-XLR was even more magical.

I don't know about everyone else, but I feel with the best setups, things become a matter of "preference" than which one is "better!"

I still think the AKG 701 is a solid headphone but not even close to the R10 or Qualia (certainly not the Qualia in terms of transient response or low-end impact, my biggest compliant with these cans at this point, 5Hz my ass!).

I'm probably one of the few who has had more than 5 minutes with the new Grado GS-1K's (about half hour runnning through a SFT M3 and Dynamight). I'm debating on whether or not to buy it or the E500 (I want...err...need both).

Apr 27, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #40 of 40
seacard,

Great impressions. I definitely agree with your assessment of the K1000, SA5000 and R10. I too have heard the Qualia out of an SDS-XLR and they are special. I would also mention the RS-1 out of the same amp....it really takes that headphone to another level.

Thanks for your impressions...that first post is a great thumbnail sketch for people looking debating between any of those headphones; it offers some nice perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back