Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)
Dec 16, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #976 of 1,242
Quote:
Hey,
How would you compare the UE 700 to IEM's like the Sony MH1, the TDK BA-200, or possibly the Sony XBA-3? Would they be similar or better sounding than a pair of Yamaha EPH-100's? That's my only frame of reference.
Thanks!

Don't have XBA-3 - otherwise, BA200 is the best sounding of them all. I'll place UE700 on par / around the same level with MH1 and EPH-100, but UE700 will be more neutral that either. It is still warm sound however.

Quote:
ClieOS, do you plan to do a longer review about TDK IE800 within the coming weeks? :) I can assure you it will be appreciated!

I am not sure when I will write it, but I'll write it for sure. It just that I have too many review needed to be finished and I am very busy with life outside of HF.

Dec 16, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #977 of 1,242
Quote:

I am not sure when I will write it, but I'll write it for sure. It just that I have too many review needed to be finished and I am very busy with life outside of HF.

That's cool, good luck with your stuff. My only concern with TDK IE800 is that it might be lacking in the sub-bass spectrum? I'm fine without mid-bass boost and looking for a midcentric IEM similiar to RE262 but with better sub-bass. TDK IE800 seems promising.

Dec 17, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #978 of 1,242
Quote:
That's cool, good luck with your stuff. My only concern with TDK IE800 is that it might be lacking in the sub-bass spectrum? I'm fine without mid-bass boost and looking for a midcentric IEM similiar to RE262 but with better sub-bass. TDK IE800 seems promising.

Far from being a bass monster or have a particular great sub-bass performance, IE800 can still do bass well. It will offer more bass than RE262 both quantitatively and qualitatively.

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #980 of 1,242
Dec 18, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #981 of 1,242
Now this got hold of my attention.

How about the mids between them? Is IE800 as slight forward and clear in the mids as RE262?

Quote:

Far from being a bass monster or have a particular great sub-bass performance, IE800 can still do bass well. It will offer more bass than RE262 both quantitatively and qualitatively.

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #983 of 1,242
Quote:
Now this got hold of my attention.

How about the mids between them? Is IE800 as slight forward and clear in the mids as RE262?

Neither is the type that has very forwarded mid (compared to the rest of the frequencies). They are the type that when you listen and the first thing that grabs your attention is the mid, not because it is more forwarded but because the vocal is full, sweet and well textured, placing it in the centre of the whole presentation. If it is only mid alone, I'll say RE262's mid stands out just a little bit more - but as a whole, IE800 is more balanced across the board.

Quote:

Interesting...if you don't mind me asking, how is IE800 better than Tandem? I believe both are mid-centric if I am correct.

Everything on IE800 is better than Tandem. The bass hits lower with more control, the mid is well textured yet doesn't overshadow the rest of the frequencies, treble extends higher, crispier. Unless you prefer a more mellowed presentation, IE800 easily best Tandem on all front.

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #984 of 1,242
Quote:
Everything on IE800 is better than Tandem. The bass hits lower with more control, the mid is well textured yet doesn't overshadow the rest of the frequencies, treble extends higher, crispier. Unless you prefer a more mellowed presentation, IE800 easily best Tandem on all front.

Thank you for the thorough explanation mate

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #985 of 1,242
hi ClieOS

does Sony Ericson MH1 work with ipad or ipod as a headphone? I don't care about control talk botton

thanks

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #986 of 1,242
Quote:
hi ClieOS

does Sony Ericson MH1 work with ipad or ipod as a headphone? I don't care about control talk botton

thanks

MH1C, yes. MH1, no. The difference has been explained here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632892/review-sony-mh1-the-best-kept-secret (read 'variation and confusion')

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #987 of 1,242
Quote:

MH1C, yes. MH1, no. The difference has been explained here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632892/review-sony-mh1-the-best-kept-secret (read 'variation and confusion')

thanks I have read it on your site
but one of my friend told me that he could listen to music with his Sony Ericson MH1 (not sony mh1c) plugged to players like sansa, iriver
I'm really confused now

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #988 of 1,242
Quote:
thanks I have read it on your site
but one of my friend told me that he could listen to music with his Sony Ericson MH1 (not sony mh1c) plugged to players like sansa, iriver
I'm really confused now

That's because some DAP / source uses either 1) TRRS jack inside (with the last two pins shorted), 2) they have an outer jack that is metal and grounded (which is same as being shorted) or 3) they use a special type of TRS jack with the sleeve pin in a more backward position. Those are the exceptions as most source will have just normal TRS jack that won't work with the OMTP plug on MH1.

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #989 of 1,242
Quote:

That's because some DAP / source uses either 1) TRRS jack inside (with the last two pins shorted), 2) they have an outer jack that is metal and grounded (which is same as being shorted) or 3) they use a special type of TRS jack with the sleeve pin in a more backward position. Those are the exceptions as most source will have just normal TRS jack that won't work with the OMTP plug on MH1.

thanks
so is it possible that Sony Ericson MH1 (not sony mh1c) works on ipad 4 or itouch 3rd gen (as a regular IEM) or do I have to use an adapter?

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #990 of 1,242
Apple is very strict CTIA supporter so the chance of an OMTP headset (i.e. MH1) working on Apple production is pretty slim, if any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back