Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)
Nov 10, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #916 of 1,242
Quote:
Are you having the cable going over the back of your neck? If not, try it. You should also use the shirt clip as well.
Anyway, if you like the sound of MH1C, I think you really won't find much of any upgrade at the price range you are looking for.

I've tried the clip helps a little. I've tried it round the front and around the neck. I have no other tips to try as the tube seem narrower than my meelec and Senns tips. Someone suggested the Sony Hybrid tips. 

Nov 10, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #917 of 1,242
Quote:
Right? or do you mean left? My answer is the shirt clip and as I have said, you need to keep the cable behind the neck. If that doesn't work, you will need to try different eartips.

No I mean right. The side with out the remote. Which ear tips would you suggest. I've tried the big and the medium. The medium stay in better. 

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #918 of 1,242
Yeah, Sony Hybrid will be my first recommendation as well. Other wise, you might need to try foam tips, i.e. Comply T200.

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #923 of 1,242
Would T400 tips improve isolation and/or comfort on the Mee a151s?
JJ

No, as T400 will just fall out of A151 small nozzle. As recommended by Comply, you need the T100 instead - and yes, it will improve isolation and comfort.

ClieOS,

I'm trying to decide between the Sony MH1C and the TDK IE800.  How do they compare to each other sound-wise?  thanks

IE800 is more a mid centric sounding IEM, the bass and treble are actually quite good, but the soundstage and mid are what steal the show. It also has a more laidback and musical presentation. Overall, I'll rate IE800 on par with BA200 and higher than MH2C.

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #924 of 1,242
ClieOS

Thanks for the excellent T-Peos H-100 recommendation. Really enjoying them they are quite a contrast to the MH1C as you stated.

Was hoping you could recall how these T-Peos H-100 compare to the TDK BA200 specifically in soundstage, and that incredible crystalline nature of the H-100 ( basically a quick and very brief comparison overall off the top of your head.)
Any metallic nature like the XBA3 users report?

I see you are in the progress of figuring out the H-100 and the TDK may be new enough in your mind still.

Someone had mentioned something about many IEM's now sounding like listening through a blanket, compared to the H-100 ,and i can't seem to shake that thought now:)

Thanks a bunch.

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #925 of 1,242
Good to know you like it.

As far as soundstage goes, BA200 is more enveloping while H-100 is more opening. I personally prefer an open type soundstage.

I listened to XBA-3 quite some time ago so my memory of it is fuzzy now. But I can say XBA-4 sounds more metallic than H-100 for me, but H-100 is brighter and more crisp. Basically metallic is more peaks related but bright and crispness is more extension related, if that makes sense.

I personally think people are too used to an upfront presentation on most IEM, so an presentation that is less upfront seems to get the bad name of 'blanketed'. Of course sometime some IEM do sound blanketed, but I don't find H-100 to be the case. I think there is a find line between being veil and not being upfront and it is as much a personal interpretation as it is tuning.

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #926 of 1,242
thanks for that reply. What I think was meant by the "listening through a blanket" effect is a slight dullness to a lot of other IEM's when compared to the H-100's highs and revealing aspects.

Good points on the upfront tuning aspect.

"Basically metallic is more peaks related but bright and crispness is more extension related, if that makes sense." 
yes perfect sense.

Debating whether to grab a BA200 now also
bigsmile_face.gif
this place....

Nov 17, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #927 of 1,242
ClieOS, looking forward to your IE800 review.

So far from the bits and pieces I can put together, its sounds quite similar to the BA200. Is that fair to say? 

How is the build quality in the IE800s? I'm a little put off by the lack of strain reliefs.

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #929 of 1,242
ClieOS, looking forward to your IE800 review.

So far from the bits and pieces I can put together, its sounds quite similar to the BA200. Is that fair to say? 

How is the build quality in the IE800s? I'm a little put off by the lack of strain reliefs.

I won't say it sounds similar to BA200, but they are both warm sounding. Compared to BA200, IE800's strength is in its mid, which like musical and sweet, but not too coloured or upfront. In a way, it is RE262 but technically better. It has some of the best vocal performance for moderate to slow music, but might feel a little slow for fast music, and has the best soundstage of any mid centric IEM. I won't really consider it as much of a stage monitor tuning as BA200. To me IE800 is what musicality is all about.

Build quality is excellent. You don't really need that much strain relief since it is flat cable, and flat cable provides its own strain relief because of the extra thickness on the cable. The eartips however isn't great. I'll recommend some aftermarket eartips instead of the stock. I use Nakamichi eartips (which is a bit Sony Hybrid like, but with better, wider bore), but unfortunately they are not for sale online.

Can you elaborate in detail on this?  These are the two models I'm considering the most...

UE700 will be like a scaled down version of VSONIC GR01 to me - almost the same sound signature, warm and sweet, but not quite as good on treble extension and overall detail retrieval. The big part where BA200 is distinctly better than UE700 is however on the rendering of space and soundstage. The slightly lacking in treble makes UE700 sounds much more boxed in.For the $130 I paid for UE700, I still think it is a really good value, but not quite as good as the former two mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back