Computer Shopper = Esquire Magazine
Sep 29, 2009 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ricksome

500+ Head-Fier
Computer Shopper stopped publication with the April 2009 issue. I received Esquire Magazine today with a form letter: .....You will receive 3 issues of Esquire Magazine for every remaining issue on your Computer Shopper subscription.......

There is an option to ask for a refund on all unmailed issues. I paid $2.00 for 4 years worth of Computer Shopper. I have 1 year left. It will cost me $0.44 in postage to request $0.50 refund...LOL

Since when does Esquire = Computer Shopper. They could have substituted another computer publication.

Any thoughts?

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 12
Maybe you need Esquire more than another computer publication?
wink.gif

Can't be all bad, they're giving away some SRH440s.

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #3 of 12
That's pretty funny. When Electronic Gaming Monthly stopped, I at least got PC Gamer in exchange. And when PC Mag stopped....well they sent me ezines...

This is why I'm really going to get a Kindle soon...

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 12
I also remember Computer Shopper from way back when. It's hard to believe it went under, but not surprising these days.

And Esquire isn't half bad, anyhow.

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And Esquire isn't half bad, anyhow.

Yeah, I totally agree! Rachel Weisz really *is* the thinking-man's photo-op bimbo! Oh! and my next suit will be an Armani!

wink.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricksome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since when does Esquire = Computer Shopper. They could have substituted another computer publication.

Not really. Your subscription was fulfilled by the Hearst Corporation which no longer has any computer publications in its stable. Esquire was likely selected as the replacement as it's the only male oriented monthly the Hearst Corporation has.

One more victim of the internet revolution.

Oct 1, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I totally agree! Rachel Weisz really *is* the thinking-man's photo-op bimbo! Oh! and my next suit will be an Armani!

wink.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

There are good cocktail recipes and the occasional well-written article. And I keep around a few copies of their vintage "Handbook for Hosts." The editions from the 1940s are priceless.

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

There are good cocktail recipes and the occasional well-written article. And I keep around a few copies of their vintage "Handbook for Hosts." The editions from the 1940s are priceless.

I don't doubt that the 40's guides to mixology and leisure-sophistication are hoots! Nonetheless, there's something cringeworthy about a magazine that has become a slightly more subtle version of Maxim issuing a "hand-book" for anything.

Contemporary feminists sometimes declare that fellers are schnagged in a "crisis of masculine identity." Despite the articles, Esquire manages to incongruously combine sartorial prissiness and metro-sexual body-fascism with the old Phwroar! page-3-girls, albeit pin-ups from the major leagues. The hot scenario seems to be something like a 6'2" mannequin in a newly-fashionable double-breasted blazer, sipping a veddy dry martini as he carelessly fondles the thigh of a PR bunny and thinks with a pang of anxiety, "Should I change my facial moisturizer?" I dunno, Erik, is this just an update of the 40's schwingin' bachelors handbooks?
confused.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They could have at least sent your remaining subscription in Maxim magazines.
wink.gif

That's what I got for EGM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back