Computer Question: Cpu Temp BURNING
Oct 27, 2008 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

mr56k

500+ Head-Fier
So I recently built a machine. I used some leftover parts from my previous rig to the new one. Here is what I got..

AMD Phenom 9950 BE @ 2.6GHZ Factory
8GB DDR2 Corsair Ram -Came from old rig
1x500 + 1TB - Came from old machine as well
Geforce 9600GT 512
Antec 900 Case (2 front fans) (1 Top) (1 Back) (1 side panel)
600 Watt power supply

So the first few days after I got it up and going it has worked great. Well a few days ago I got a blue screen. So I went and downloaded speedfan and CoreTemp. Idle was around 45c and load was 50c roughly on both. I thought that should be lower (Considering fans etc). So friend recommended I take cpu back out and try some Artic Silver thermal compound instead of the stock thermal grease (I got retail cpu so it came with pre-applied thermal). So I cleaned off both the cpu really good as well as the heatsink. Applied a small dab (rice size/ small dot) and started to use a plastic buisness card to smooth it out and make it as flat ass possible. Well now It's saying 69-71c. So what the heck is going on??? I made sure heatsink is clipped in tight, fan is spinning on processor good. Crazy thing is I have only had that one blue screen. I have not had any other crashes whatsover. So thanks for reading all this. I'm just hoping another pc user can give me some idea's or something.
mad.gif

Thanks in advance

Oct 27, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like a misaligned heatsink to me. Take everything right apart and reassemble.

Hmm. Before I had taken it off and when you re-apply it, it will only
go in one way that I can tell. Then when its on I have to clip each side and then pull the one clip over to lock it in place. Any hints on what to try is greatly appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Only after trying to put this new thermal paste on has the temps went really crazy.

Oct 27, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 31
Don't smooth it out, just put a dab about the size of a grain of rice in the middle of the heat spreader and the HSF will smash it down fine.

If you have a few bucks laying around, might as well invest in a nice HSF like this guy: Link

It hangs with the other big dogs in the industry for a lot less money.

Oct 27, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by floydenheimer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't smooth it out, just put a dab about the size of a grain of rice in the middle of the heat spreader and the HSF will smash it down fine.

If you have a few bucks laying around, might as well invest in a nice HSF like this guy: Link

It hangs with the other big dogs in the industry for a lot less money.

Yea tried the tiny dab in the middle 'rice size' and reseated and still hot. Really a pain.. I almost wish I would have just left it lol.

Oct 27, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #6 of 31
Ok. So I took it all apart agaiiin. Put small rice sized in middle of cpu and rebooted and now temp at idle is -- > 60-62c. So hmm. Do I maybe need to re do it and make even a smaller amount of thermal paste? I mean I thought it was small as it was. Thanks

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #7 of 31
That is a huge jump from 45 idle to 60! What is the load temp like? I would worry only if you are seeing very high load temps, I have an old (old) Athlon 2500+ that has been running at 60 idle for years now, and no problems. Brand new, it would idle at 29C
biggrin.gif

Clearly you are not putting coin size blobs of paste on there, so I would look to maybe some other causes, something changed the first time you reinstalled the HS, since subsequent reapplication of the paste has improved the readings.

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is a huge jump from 45 idle to 60! What is the load temp like? I would worry only if you are seeing very high load temps, I have an old (old) Athlon 2500+ that has been running at 60 idle for years now, and no problems. Brand new, it would idle at 29C
biggrin.gif

Clearly you are not putting coin size blobs of paste on there, so I would look to maybe some other causes, something changed the first time you reinstalled the HS, since subsequent reapplication of the paste has improved the readings.

Load exceeds 70 thats why I'm worried. This cpu is rated for 71 at MAXIMUM. I dropped in my phenom triple core 2.1Ghz from one of my other machines and it idles at 30c.. So Im pretty sure I no that I'm installing the cpu correctly and same for thermal paste. Is it possible my 9950 is bad?

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 31
Arctic Silver 5 is old news these days (don't forget the 7 day cure time). There are many other thermal compounds that work better.

I would recommend OCZ Freeze or Zalmal STG (Super Thermal Grease). They both work well and they have very little cure time. I personally use STG and I spread it evenly over the whole IHS of the CPU with the brush. On the HSF I just paint a little bit in the middle. Press down and give it a few quarter turns back and forth before locking it down.

GL

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #11 of 31
Gollie;4910525 said:
Arctic Silver 5 is old news these days (don't forget the 7 day cure time). There are many other thermal compounds that work better.

Cure time ?? So over a week or so could the temps drop? Thanks

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr56k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Load exceeds 70 thats why I'm worried. This cpu is rated for 71 at MAXIMUM. I dropped in my phenom triple core 2.1Ghz from one of my other machines and it idles at 30c.. So Im pretty sure I no that I'm installing the cpu correctly and same for thermal paste. Is it possible my 9950 is bad?

I would just return it if you still can, no sense in having the cpu (of all things) not behaving well, since another cpu is working fine. Think about down the road when you want to do some gaming or something, if it can barely idle so close to the max rating, there's no point in continuing.

Oct 27, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #13 of 31
Hmm. I don't no what to do. I re-applied and seated again after trying the triple core and now for whatever reason the 9950 is idle at 59c. I don't no if I should keep this or return it for the AMD 64x2 5400 2.8GHZ. I got it at discount with work and those were the two I could get in at cost. Any input would be great. Main uses are for light gaming and video/photo work.

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #14 of 31
Decided I'm going to try to return it. So next question is.. Should I keep my Triple Core Phenom 2.1GHZ or get a Athlon 64x2 5400 ? Some friends were saying that the dual core is still the way to go 'right now'. Any input ?

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #15 of 31
mr56k;4910539 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gollie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Cure time ?? So over a week or so could the temps drop? Thanks

If you are using AS5, it will take a week to see the temps fall. This is one of the annoyances with the compound. I went away from it because it is just to messy for my tastes.

I have Zalman STG on my overclocked Quad now, but if I ever reseat it, I will use OCZ Freeze. Pick up some Freeze and you will be pleased.

As for you CPU decision, more cores > less cores imo. The only way I would go back to a dual core would be to overclock to 4Ghz+ and that would be for gaming purposes only. Stick with the quad.

Also, are you using the stock HSF? If you are, a $25 aftermarket fan (Arctic cooling 64 Pro) will drop the stock temps considerably.

For more info, jump over to Overclock.net. We can get you squared away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back