Computer help needed: DVD Decrypter keeps crashing
Feb 20, 2011 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Kirosia

Headphoneus Supremus
Worked a few days ago, now the program shuts off randomly, usually within a minute or so. I've only seen a few errors, one saying Äccess violation at 000000 (something like that). Tried system restore, re-installing, updating Windows XP, didn't work. Any ideas?

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 18
Please post software version, and your system specs as well.

Also, what is the exact error?

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 18
DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0

Windows XP Pro SP 3
2GB kingston value ram
500GB WD Caviar Black

The program will just shut down, the log showing that a closing request was acknowledged, as if I had told the program to exit myself. Other times, it would say "Access violation at 000000" or something, it was too quick for me to write down. The program was working fine four days ago, and I hadn't installed anything major since then. 

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #4 of 18
Try uninstalling your current version, cleaning your registry and installing 3.5.2.0: http://www.oldapps.com/DVD_Decrypter.php?old_dvddecrypter=11

There has been reports of users having similar issues with the latest version.

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #5 of 18
Tried the older version, same thing. Cleaned my registry as well, I just don't understand why this is cropping up now. 

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #6 of 18
Out of curiosity, have you tried DVDShrink? It works similarly, and is crash-free on NT OSes, as far as I'm aware
wink.gif

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 18
Can it rip individual chapters? I use the program to make mix-tape DVDs for my dad. I do worry about this Decrypter issue because it might be part of a greater prboem that I need to fix. 

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #8 of 18
Yes it can. I've used it for some time and it's quite capable for such a small piece of software.

You're right, that could be an indicator of a bigger problem. One of the main reasons I advise against XP is the fact that its current state is like a virus host with a huge neon sign saying "Welcome here with no resistance", not to mention how more prone to BSODs and system instability caused by corrupted system files and/or registry entries, etc.

Is upgrading to Windows 7 a possibility for you?

Feb 20, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #9 of 18
I did purchase a Win7 license awhile back, but I really don't want to install it without another 2GB of ram and a new HDD. 

Feb 20, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #10 of 18
2GB of ram is comfortable enough for a 32bits Windows 7 install. If you only had 1GB, then I'd advise against installing it, but with 2GB you're already set. Is your license 32 or 64bits?

Feb 20, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #11 of 18
64bit I believe. I really don't want to update other than as a last ditch effort, this particular program is the main issue so far. I was watching videos, listening to music, reading, and playing dead space 2 all day yesterday and not a single error. 

Feb 20, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #12 of 18
Can you post your system specs? Hardware wise, I mean.

Seriously, after you upgrade to 7, you will ask yourself what took you so long
wink.gif
It's superior to XP in every conceivable way. Yes, it's that good
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #13 of 18

2GB kingston value ram

500GB WD Caviar Black

Corsair 450w psu
ATI Radeon HD4850 512mb

I figure if this rig ever dies, I'll update to Win7 and transfer all of my files. But for now, it's too much of a hassle. 

Feb 20, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #14 of 18
That rig is more than capable of handling Windows 7. With your current specs, I wouldn't think twice about upgrading to a 32bits version. 32bits instead of 64bits mainly because of compatibility, because most 32bits software runs in 64bits at the same speed or even slower due to the emulation layer, and the current 64bits native apps tend to be made for a niche market. Also, current gen games run faster on Windows 7 than on XP with the same hardware, the kernel is much more robust, resisting more to issues when compared to XP. It's really a good bet for you, imho.

Feb 20, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #15 of 18
I mean it's too much of a hassle to install Win7 on a fresh HDD (which I currently do not have) and transferring everything over. I know it'll be more stable and efficient in the long run, but I'm alright with XP for the most part at the moment. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back