Computer headphones. Preferably no amp
May 20, 2004 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

xlEnt

100+ Head-Fier
I’m in the market for cans solely for the computer. I prefer not using an amp because I don’t really have the money right now. I'll be using it mainly for gaming. Counter Strike and so I need it to be very detailed so I can recognize positions of the opposing team. I really need them to be accurate so I can expect what direction they will be coming from.

Ill also be using them lightly for movies, music, and all the other multimedia on the computer.

Preferably I want to spend 70 dollars and I’m willing to put out 100 if the extra 30 will make that much of a difference.

From what i've read the best for gaming would be closed type so the Sony v6 or the hd280pro. But I’ve also found the Shure e2c for less than 70 so that’s catching my eye, as I really enjoy the feel of the Sony ex70.

Also if you wouldn’t mind recommending the best places to buy the cans I would be much appreciative.

EDIT
Im currently using sennheiser PC150 headsets. Im planing to continue to use the mic with the new headphones.

May 20, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #2 of 27
I would have to recommend the A500.

May 20, 2004 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 27
Detail may not equal a proper sense of location, and a sense of location may depend on the interaction between your ears and the cans. It would be good to test some different ones if you have the chance.

Closed is only better if you need to keep sound out or keep sound in.

If you plan to use it with a computer, make sure you have a long cable, and that the phones are fairly easy to drive. I like 3 meters/10 feet for cable, 32 ohms impedance for use with a computer sound card. I am pretty happy with Sennheiser HD 497. YMMV.

FWIW, I think Alienware ships Sennheiser HD 580 or 600 with their high-end gaming PCs. I don't know offhand what kind of sound card they use that would really be able to drive those phones - I'd have doubts about the amp being good enough and I'd have doubts about those particular cans as gaming headphones, but Alienware probably knows more about gaming than I do. I was just a Quake addict for a few years. :)

Where to buy depends on the cans, but you could consider supporting some of Head-Fi's sponsors. HeadRoom has decent prices and a great return policy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xlEnt
I’m in the market for cans solely for the computer. I prefer not using an amp because I don’t really have the money right now. I'll be using it mainly for gaming. Counter Strike and so I need it to be very detailed so I can recognize positions of the opposing team. I really need them to be accurate so I can expect what direction they will be coming from.

Ill also be using them lightly for movies, music, and all the other multimedia on the computer.

Preferably I want to spend 70 dollars and I’m willing to put out 100 if the extra 30 will make that much of a difference.

From what i've read the best for gaming would be closed type so the Sony v6 or the hd280pro. But I’ve also found the Shure e2c for less than 70 so that’s catching my eye, as I really enjoy the feel of the Sony ex70.

Also if you wouldn’t mind recommending the best places to buy the cans I would be much appreciative.

May 20, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 27
i believe alienware ships out their computers with either the audigy 1 or 2. i doubt these can drive the 580 or 600. the a500 sound like a good bet, but im afraid there is no return policy, so its a bit of a gamble.

May 20, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

I don't know offhand what kind of sound card they use that would really be able to drive those phones

Their highest are the HD580 and they provide Audigy 2 ZS.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

the a500 sound like a good bet, but im afraid there is no return policy, so its a bit of a gamble.

these phones are only available in japan, so there are many people here on head-fi willing to take it off your hands for almost the same price you bought it.

May 20, 2004 at 4:20 AM Post #7 of 27
PC150s are fantastic CS headphones
smily_headphones1.gif
, I had DSP-500s myself and if it were not for the mic breaking I would still be using them ( and if I still played CS). If there is a problem with sound positioning, the soundcard is probably more at fault than the headphone.

May 20, 2004 at 4:22 AM Post #8 of 27
ahhh... i am using onboard nforce2 sound.

Good to see another cs player here =D

hrm sound card. I was looking at the audigy 2 nx thinking i can maybe bring it to lan? But I cant decide if its the headphones or the sound card. Problem is I really cant tell if somone is running in ct spawn or cat walk.. (dust2) so i thought maybe the pc150s werent detailed enough..

May 20, 2004 at 4:29 AM Post #10 of 27
Yah I know about the pc155's but I dont like the idea im commiting them to the computer. Because once i start the whole college thing Ill probably get Iriver H120. I know its dumb but I dont like the commitment of usb

haha youd think it was a relationship or something. =D

May 20, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #11 of 27
HD280Pro are exactly $70 and they sound great unamped, isolate very well, and are very clean & true-to-the-sound. Perfect for gaming, movies, audio editing, and music of course
biggrin.gif

-kaitsuburi

May 20, 2004 at 4:49 AM Post #14 of 27
I just bought the Sony V6 for a general use headphone, but the majority of the time using it will be spent connected to my computer. I, too, play a lot of FPS games, and because of this I attend LANs occasionally, and wanted something that I could easily bring with me. The V6's fold up nice and small, and although I just got mine today, I am loving them so far.

I was looking at the AT A500's, but decided that I wanted something smaller and more portable, but if you are not planning on taking them anywhere those might be your best bet, as I remember a previous thread where someone praised their gaming prowess.

For reference, this is my first pair of headphones that I have spent more than $30 on, so naturally I am happy with the sound.
smily_headphones1.gif
The heavy bass is nice for some of those gunshots and bombs.

Gaming positioning with them seems to be great, better than my previous crappy Sony's (MDR-501's that I bought 4 or 5 years ago). And although I haven't had a chance for a marthon gaming session, they are quite comfortable to me (and many others from what I understand).

May 20, 2004 at 5:14 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaitsuburi
HD280Pro are exactly $70 and they sound great unamped, isolate very well, and are very clean & true-to-the-sound. Perfect for gaming, movies, audio editing, and music of course
biggrin.gif

-kaitsuburi

I have the 280s (and others, see my profile), and I can't recommend the 280s. Sure, they don't need a lot of power to run, but they have a weak bass and a painfully harsh treble.

From what i've read on head-fi, the A500 or the Sony V6 might fit what you want. I've not heard either of those though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back