Computer Gurus - I need help!
Feb 27, 2006 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

LFF

Co-Organizer for Can Jam '09
Member of the Trade: Paradox
I am almost always using my computer in some way. However, recently my graphics card has been giving me this nice message:

crap.jpg

The problem is - I get it when running a webpage like headfi. It gets worse when I play CS: Source or DoD: Source. The biggest problem is that I just dont get 1 window - I get 40! How can I get rid of this. I have a 650 watt power supply. Could it be because I split the power with a hard drive?

Feb 27, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 13
Post the specs of your computer.

I would try driver updates first, and if it continues try disconnecting stuff from your power supply to see if you need more power.

Maybe its time to upgrade to a ATI 1900 XTX and dual dvi to a Dell 3007WFP.

Feb 27, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 13
I had to update the bios on my motherboard a while back because it wasn't delivering enough power to the AGP slot. I just got random restarts even on old half-life with an older gaming card. Check what bios updates are available and if any of them mention a boost in power to the AGP.

Feb 27, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 13
Can you post the model of your Nvidia card?

Have you double checked your power connections on your vid card?

Feb 27, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 13
Make sure that your card is properly connected to the PCI-E/VGA slot and also check that the external power connector is properly connected and there's no flaws in the cable. Maybe you should just try to plug another power cord to the card, there might be something wrong with the current one.

Feb 27, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #7 of 13
In your original post you used the word "recently", so can I assume with your current setup you had no problem in the past and you start experiencing the problem lately without any changes to your setup?

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #10 of 13
I'd do a driver update/backdate first. Then check to see if the splitter's good or not. If the problem still persists, give the video card it's own 12V line. Your power supply may also have a 12V rail exclusively for video card usage, and I'd recommend hooking it up to that instead of a rail shared other computer components. After that, see if there are any motherboard BIOS updates, and reflash your motherboard.

If none of that works, your power supply may also be dying. Try another one with more than one 12V rail.

Good luck.

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #11 of 13
WOW!!! Thanks for all the responses guys. Here is what I did so far:

1) Cleaned out all the dust bunnies.
2) Reconfigured the wires and switched out a few so the card could get more juice.
3) Left for school and currently at work.

When I get home I will see if I keep getting the stupid warning. If so I will try your suggestions one by one.

Once again, thanks for all the ideas. Really appreciate it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just to answer a few questions: I have an AGP video card. I will post specs later tonight.

Feb 28, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #12 of 13
its possible that you have over heating issue. if you go to desktop -> right click properties -> setting -> advance -> geforce "card". since it give that message i assume you have a newer driver and a newer video card that have temperature monitor. over 60*C is bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back