Computer buying
Jul 4, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #16 of 27
Thanks for the input, but lugging around a big laptop isn't that big a deal to me, ive already been doing it for a year with a laptop of comparable size that is like 3 years old and while its a mild inconvenience compared to the ultra portable laptops, I can handle carrying a bigger laptop.All I need to do is get a sleeve for it and put it in my backpack or get a carrying case with a comfortable strap.

Jul 5, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #17 of 27
You are going to need a big backpack.

biggrin.gif

Actually I'm kinda fond of the whole gaming desktop, working netbook idea.

750 for a pretty decent rig, as shown here on FiringSquad, and 450 for a chEEEp netbook.
rolleyes.gif

But the gateway is still really really awesome for the price.

Jul 5, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #18 of 27
The rig on FiringSquad is a bit outdated. I helped a friend build a rig not so long ago from scratch (mouse, dvd drive etc... included in the price) with the combo prices and mail in rebates from newegg it cost him under $1100 tax & shipping included, but what he got is a ATI HD4850, with E8400 core2duo and a samsung 22" screen, antec case & power supply etc... all the other parts were of very high quality. I don't think a laptop can ever beat that, maybe the $3000 one with 2 graphic cards can, but I doubt it. If you allready have some components from an older computer and take less quality parts, it can go much much cheaper and still be an awesome gaming rig.

I myself had the first eeepc and it is a joy to use but sold it cause of the small screen. I am planning to buy a netbook again this summer after the competition becomes available in a few weeks (wind, acer one ...) supposedly they will cost less than $350 and better than the eeepc.

As chuwy said the gateway is the definite choice if you go laptop but compared to a similar priced desktop like the system mentioned above, it is several leagues apart.

Jul 5, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #19 of 27
General rule of thumb is you can have 2 of the three at any given time:

Cheap Portable Powerful

While I'll agree that you might need a laptop, even getting a laptop that you're comfortable carrying around is going to be hard if you want a "gaming" laptop. Regardless of if you're comfortable with it, the extra wear is going to put it at risk later on.

Personally, you can build a competent gaming desktop rig for around 600... do that and then buy an eee pc or something off of ebay for taking your notes and traveling with. Save yourself some headache, and probably some cash in the long run.

Jul 6, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #20 of 27
You guys have give me some things to consider and I really appreciate it. I am, however, still leaning towards going with the gateway because logistically It would be a ridiculous hassle having a desktop and laptop in terms of packing them and unpacking them for school and also just fitting everything in my room. But obviously getting a desktop and a cheap small laptop would make the most sense if no other outside situations were involved.

Jul 6, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #21 of 27
leave it to us head-fi'ers to make your problems bigger.
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuwy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
leave it to us head-fi'ers to make your problems bigger.
biggrin.gif

Nah I like this kind of problem. If I hadn't asked I would've just bought some stupid laptop without thinking. I like to feel that I have explored my options before making a purchase. Im currently researching to see if any cool laptops are going to hit the market later in the summer, but Im still feeling gateway.

Jul 7, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #23 of 27
dude, go for it. the sooner you buy it the more time you have to get comfy with it before the school year begins.

Jul 7, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuwy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dude, go for it. the sooner you buy it the more time you have to get comfy with it before the school year begins.

I agree, I'm done thinking. Its gonna be either tomorrow or Tuesday.

Jul 7, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #25 of 27
ShuttlePC. Easy to box up (monitor excepted, but a small 15" one is very compact) and move anywhere, all you need is a mid range $200 graphics card and you can game in supreme comfort.

Add in a small little laptop (anything with 2GB ram, Core2duo will do), and you're set.

Jul 7, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #26 of 27
Well if you are set for the gateway then buy it as soon as possible. If you are still thinking of a netbook then I advise you to chill a bit, prices are going down because new models will arrive in the coming days/weeks. The eee PC 900 just reduced to $399 from excaliber.pc a few days ago. That is a $150 decrease from it's original price when it was released in mid may. In fact amazon is still selling it for $550.

Oh yes those Shuttle and micro atx cases in general look really slick much cooler then apple. I don't have experience building one but have seen some in real life and they are petite and beautiful. You really should check them out if space is a concern. Put in a a radeon HD4850 graphics and a c2duo E7200, that should kick any laptop performance wise and cost less $700. As long as you get a micro atx mother board the rest is the same as building a normal pc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back