Computer Builders: PSU problems?
Jan 22, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #31 of 39
I spent $64 CND on the first one. I upgraded the second one to a 750W PCandC as per the consensus here. Loved that I started a PSU debate tho. ; 750watt should future proof my rig: maybe I'll want another HD or bluray in the future, or just more vidcards....
wink.gif

Oh, and can it be any black wire to the one lone green wire on the 24 mobo plug??

Jan 22, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spent $64 CND on the first one. I upgraded the second one to a 750W PCandC as per the consensus here. Loved that I started a PSU debate tho. ; 750watt should future proof my rig: maybe I'll want another HD or bluray in the future, or just more vidcards....
wink.gif

Oh, and can it be any black wire to the one lone green wire on the 24 mobo plug??

Yep, any black wire. I use the one across from the green, it's easier to reach with a small jumper.

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #33 of 39
If you're planning on going SLI/Crossfire, I think you should've went w/a little more power IMO (850W-1000W+). Although you'll probably be able to do it, just puts much more of a load on the PSU (Heat).
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #34 of 39
I don't think SLI or corssfire is going to draw much more than 450 watts under full load if that. Any company can make a fancy 1000 watt PSU. In the PSU department it's quality, not quantity. A 500 watt quality PSU would probably have worked just as well.

PC Power and Cooling all the way.

Jan 26, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphile808 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're planning on going SLI/Crossfire, I think you should've went w/a little more power IMO (850W-1000W+). Although you'll probably be able to do it, just puts much more of a load on the PSU (Heat).
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

First off 750 is MORE than enough to power two 4870's. and 2nd if he's pulling 600 watts then heat the heat difference isn't going to be significantly different no matter what the PS is rated for. It might even be better as a power supply is more efficient as it is loaded up as opposed to a 1000W using only 60% would be inefficient.

Never did understand why people overbuy power supplies so often, I had a great Antec 380W that powered my C2D, 8800 and two hard drives and did it with 80+ efficiency all for less than $40.

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carmantom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would in my humble opinion say power is not all created equal as presented real well in this article:

Computer Power User Article - Power Supply Appreciation

Quote:

Originally Posted by ċãţ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
power is power really, you'll always get faulty units. sounds like some people are paying for the label.

send back get another one if the light doesn't come on, if you've checked everything. i'd test it first though.

I thought the same thing until I read a few articles that really went through some PSU's. There is a HUGE difference between cheap PSU's and reliable manuf. in terms of quality and consistency of the supply.

If you have another PSU that you can slap it in and check to see if the mobo lights come on. I would check and double check all your connections because I have spent 2 min smashing the power button until I realized I never flipped the power switch on the PSU.

Jan 26, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #37 of 39
I don't agree w/ the idea of buying hugh and expensive PSU that you'll never use its full capacity before it gets old. It is fine for you to use those big PSU for the peace of mind though.

But there's something you need to know before you decide.

You need to make sure that PSU of your choice is a quality product.

Lots of no name PSU do not meet its specification. Their specification is exeggerated on purpose to make it look good.

And other problem is, even some name brands use crappy parts in their PSUs to reduce the cost. It is a pity to see such expensive PSU that has good regulation circuit, also has cheap capacitors all over in its output stage. And the cheap capacitor almost always is the culprit when the PSU goes bad.

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #38 of 39
I am running a pretty highend machine:

Supermicro X7DWA-N motherboard
Intel Xeon E5430 x2
16GB FB-DIMM ECC DDR2 (four sticks of memory consumes at least 40 watts)
ATi 4870 X2 (two of them, four cards total)
Seagate 1.5TB HD x4
LG Blu-Ray burner

I used to run an Antec P190 case with the two power supplies (650watt + 550 watt) and had nothing but issues such as random lockups. I just bought a PC Power and Cooling 1200Watt supply and it has worked perfectly not a hitch. I really like the seven year warranty you get with the PC P&C, if you're going high end don't skimp on power.

Feb 1, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #39 of 39
Yeah, really the only way to handle it is to just make sure that you have all of your bases covered in spades.

My setup has a 680W power supply and use ~450W if pushed (media machine, not gaming).

Also, it is worth investing is a good PSU if for nothing else but reliability and knowing that it won't blow up your nice equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back