Computer Builders: PSU problems?
Jan 18, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #16 of 39

wower

1000+ Head-Fier
Okay. Well I took out the ultra PSU and its sitting in its box ready to go back. Exchange was the only option but I don't mind. I'll remember your suggestions for my next build. Its just fustrating that it world so well for the first 30hours. I knew it was too good to be true.

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #18 of 39

Kirosia

Headphoneus Supremus
Stupid question, but do you have any sort of UPS (or equivalent)? Often times your components get fried due to electricity going ape***t, or whatever the technical phrase is.

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #19 of 39

Headphile808

Headphoneus Supremus
I had some instability issues w/a Ultra PSU. After upgrading to a Xigmatek 750W unit, Iv'e had Zero problems since. Although the company is well-known for their cooling products, they make some of the best PSUs also. Enermax was the other alternative I was considering, can't go wrong w/that choice either. They just came out w/a new line of Silver-Certifed 85 Plus units w/up to 91% efficiency. Very Impressive. Also quite pricey, 950w $309.99 & 1050W $329.99. Xigamatek at $129.99 (750W), IMO is a very good deal. Highly Recommended. Good Luck.
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Jan 20, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #21 of 39

Computerpro3

1000+ Head-Fier
Quote:

I remember reading a huge recommended PSU list on [H]ard|OCP - www.HardOCP.com and remember that Ultra was on the list on what to void at all costs.

With that said, PCP&C makes excellent PSUs but the fans are a bit too loud for my tastes.

I actually wrote that list. It is outdated though as I never had the time to update it and a lot of things have changed. Ultra is hit or miss - a couple of their models are solid, but most are pure crap. There is no point to go with ultra when you can get something like a Corsair for a few bucks more.

It's about quality over quantity. PCP&C, Delta, Zippy/Emacs, Seasonic, Silverstone, Corsair, etc.

I used to use PCP&C Turbocool units exclusively. Ever since they've been taken over by OCZ I switched over to Zippy/Emacs. Sure, they are expensive - $285 for a 700w and $350 for a 850w - but they are absolute TANKS. I also have my entire system hooked up to an APC Smart UPS 2200VA unit.

My 700w psu from Zippy weighs nearly 9lbs. Their 400w weighs an astounding 6lbs. I run a 4ghz core 2 duo, 2x GTX 285's in SLI, a 10,000rpm hard drive, 2 7200rpm hard drives, 6 120mm fans, 2 92mm fans, 2 80mm fans, 4gb ram, everything overclocked and overvolted and measured with multimeter, my 12v line is 12.09 at idle and 12.08 under load. It's just astounding performance.

Jan 20, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #22 of 39

Ingo

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm a Seasonic guy. I've built several systems using only Seasonic and have not had a failure yet. I'm sure there's great PSU's out there other than Seasonic's, but I like to stick with what works for me.

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #23 of 39

Punnisher

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a Seasonic guy. I've built several systems using only Seasonic and have not had a failure yet. I'm sure there's great PSU's out there other than Seasonic's, but I like to stick with what works for me.

I have heard a lot of good things about Seasonic, but I believe that the particular Antec powersupply I was using was a rebranded Seasonic. This one was the Antec Trupower Trio 650w. I had 2 go bad in my same machine and am lucky it did not take out any of my other hardware.

Now I have the third one brand new in a box, just collecting dust.

Jan 20, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #24 of 39

Computerpro3

1000+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard a lot of good things about Seasonic, but I believe that the particular Antec powersupply I was using was a rebranded Seasonic. This one was the Antec Trupower Trio 650w. I had 2 go bad in my same machine and am lucky it did not take out any of my other hardware.

Now I have the third one brand new in a box, just collecting dust.

The trupowers were actually CWT sourced, not seasonic I believe. The problem that those units had is that they used bad capacitors that would fail when subjected to high heat. Coupled with a poor cooling design, the units had an unusually high failure rate.

Jan 20, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #25 of 39

Carmantom

1000+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Corsair is a Seasonic PSU I think... but yeah the general consensus is that PCP & C and Seasonic makes the best PSUs at the moment.

X2 on the Seasonic. Not cheap but excellent, and steady power source. As
I recall it set me back $200 plus.

As others have mentioned Antec is low end for lower end pcs.

I also 2nd buying inexpensive PS tester before sending back. Plug it in and you'll know in a jiffy if that is the problem.

Jan 20, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #26 of 39

Carmantom

1000+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by ċãţ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
power is power really, you'll always get faulty units. sounds like some people are paying for the label.

send back get another one if the light doesn't come on, if you've checked everything. i'd test it first though.

I would in my humble opinion say power is not all created equal as presented real well in this article:

Computer Power User Article - Power Supply Appreciation

Jan 20, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #27 of 39

Computerpro3

1000+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carmantom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wrong, the Antec 850 signature series is far better than anything seasonic has.

JonnyGURU.com - Power Supply Reviews and more! - Reviews - Antec Signature 850W

People shouldn't make blanket statements like that as they are very misleading.

And PCP&C are fantastic units, but Zippy/Emacs and Delta units are every bit as good, if not better. Especially when you look at the PCP&C silencer units. Even a corsair/seasonic can compete with those. My zippy for one has line regulation about 3x better (1% vs 3%) and much lower ripple on the 12v line. Also, the pcp&c silencer series are rated at 40C where as the zippy and delta units are rated at 50C. That's a pretty decent difference in final output power.

Jan 20, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #28 of 39

Carmantom

1000+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wrong, the Antec 850 signature series is far better than anything seasonic has.

JonnyGURU.com - Power Supply Reviews and more! - Reviews - Antec Signature 850W

People shouldn't make blanket statements like that as they are very misleading.

And PCP&C are fantastic units, but Zippy/Emacs and Delta units are every bit as good, if not better. Especially when you look at the PCP&C silencer units. Even a corsair/seasonic can compete with those. My zippy for one has line regulation about 3x better (1% vs 3%) and much lower ripple on the 12v line. Also, the pcp&c silencer series are rated at 40C where as the zippy and delta units are rated at 50C. That's a pretty decent difference in final output power.

I stand corrected. As always there will be a High End model for most manufacturers. One does have to conclude for the most part most Antecs are crap.

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #29 of 39

FrederikS|TPU

1000+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carmantom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also 2nd buying inexpensive PS tester before sending back. Plug it in and you'll know in a jiffy if that is the problem.

Buying! whoa there. Get a small piece of wire and connect the green and black on the ATX plug of the PSU. If it starts up with a few fans connected it probably ain't the PSU.

But yeah a real PSU tester that loads everything right from 3.3 V to 12 V is the "right" way to go.

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #30 of 39

Computerpro3

1000+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buying! whoa there. Get a small piece of wire and connect the green and black on the ATX plug of the PSU. If it starts up with a few fans connected it probably ain't the PSU.

But yeah a real PSU tester that loads everything right from 3.3 V to 12 V is the "right" way to go.

All you have to do is stick a hard drive or two on to provide load when it starts up. In the OP's case, the tester would cost more than the PSU. Just get a good psu and be done with it.

Users who are viewing this thread