Computer Audio Upgrade
Jun 26, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #31 of 49
Well, there have been developments re my ZenPro Modded Yamaha HS7's:
  • They arrived yesterday, exactly on schedule, a mere 3 days after ordering them
  • Dealing with Warren, owner of ZenPro, has been far above average in every way (a very good buying experience so far)
  • They were exceedingly well boxed...and now that they're unboxed, these things are flat out beautiful to my eyes. Yeah, I know--sound counts/looks don't, but I like looking at them.
I have them set up to burn in for ~100 hrs using my unbalanced-to-balanced converter box (Alpha 124A) w/spare audio components. Bizarrely, I have it this set up in a largely empty 3-car garage attached to the house. The HS7's are on the far/opposite wall from the house; when I enter the garage via the connected hallway, I have to walk nearly ~35 feet to reach them. It's hard to imagine a less promising "sonic environment" for powered monitors.

Despite all that, they actually sound pretty fine, which surprises me. Interestingly, they sound good the whole time I'm walking toward them, but when I get w/in 4-5 feet, suddenly the sound "locks in" as I enter the soundfield. They're not even spaced optimally (just 1-2 ft apart, sitting on a big workbench). But there clearly is a soundfield. These are obviously designed as nearfield monitors (something I knew, but interesting to have it demonstrated so clearly). Hard to really figure out how they sound, given the huge space they're in. But I can already hear a few trends:
  1. The bass is really quite good. I'll use a sub below ~60-70 dB in home office, but even w/o a sub, the bass is pleasing--tuneful with a nice rounded quality. Not the ultra-dry solid-state bass I was 1/2-expecting.
  2. Treble sounds accurate but not peaky or fatiguing. Again, the real test will come when they're in home office, but I'm not hearing problems in the treble at this point.
  3. Midrange is the big suprise--there's a lot of musical information coming out of the midrange, way more than I'm used to from my decent but not exceptional powered speakers (Swan M200 MKIIIs). And the midrange sounds quite good--not edgy or forced.
  4. I started burning them in w/24 hrs of classical music (symphonies for 12 hrs, then massed choral works + orchestra for next 12). Volume is moderate, and the music sounds quite nice. I just changed over to reggae at a slightly higher volume, and damned if that doesn't sound really good. Actually found myself boogying a little to the music (in my garage).
So far, so good. These are the first "professional" powered monitors I've heard. I worried that they would be lifeless, flat to the point of annoying, and not "musical." But so far, that's not the case at all...

Impossible to draw real conclusions about sound, given how big the physical environment is in garage vs my 13' X 15' home office. Then there's the fact that the key electronics I'll be using in home office (Violectric V281 as amp/preamp; Audio GD DAC-19 or NOS-19 DACs) are light years better than my temp system in the garage (a 30 year old modded Phillips CD player + passive volume controller).

I'll rotate the HS7's into home office system this Wed. More comments to follow. But at this point, I'm encouraged...

Proves my previous point that you can have the accuracy of a studio monitor and "audiophile" like sound with the HS7s. Since it's optimized for nearfield listening, room resonance are minimal and you only need to worry about bass linearity which a sub can rectify.

Wait till it fully settles down. It should impress you with the midrange timbre and tonality that give me goosebumps on how realistic it sounds on some well mastered recordings Also imaging and soundstage should be much more coherent after burn-in

Jun 28, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #32 of 49
I currently have an Edifier S530D 2.1 set, which I thought was really good for a PC speaker system with 3" satellites in wooden enclosure. However, my gf just bought a Sony SRS-XB20 bluetooth speaker and I'm amazed how music sounds so much better with it, I can hear new basslines in songs that just aren't there with my 2.1 set and an 8" subwoofer (unless I turn it really loud, which I don't do), no matter how I try to EQ it - it's like there's a missing gap somewhere in the sub-200Hz range. I don't get it, that small 100€ bluetooth thingy easily beats my setup in audio quality, and even does a really good job in extending the low end close to the 8" edifier subwoofer I have?

How can I get this same quality in a PC speaker set?

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #33 of 49
I currently have an Edifier S530D 2.1 set, which I thought was really good for a PC speaker system with 3" satellites in wooden enclosure. However, my gf just bought a Sony SRS-XB20 bluetooth speaker and I'm amazed how music sounds so much better with it, I can hear new basslines in songs that just aren't there with my 2.1 set and an 8" subwoofer (unless I turn it really loud, which I don't do), no matter how I try to EQ it - it's like there's a missing gap somewhere in the sub-200Hz range. I don't get it, that small 100€ bluetooth thingy easily beats my setup in audio quality, and even does a really good job in extending the low end close to the 8" edifier subwoofer I have?

Consumer products like that often come with DSP that basically does the same thing as "Loudness EQ" or A/V receivers' "Night Mode" - whatever signal they're getting, they boost the lows and highs to catch up with the midrange, as the drivers tend to trail off at either end. Play with the subwoofer gain and EQ on your S530D and you can get a similar result, and with the bonus of the subwoofer module actually shaking a few objects near it.

Jun 28, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #34 of 49

It's been some time since I owned PC/computer speakers; I'm not an authority on current 2.1 (satellite + sub) systems. But I suspect there are 2 reasons for the difference in performance between your system and the Sony:

First (most obvious): having a 3.5" "woofer" covering the entire range between say, 2 kHz on the top and 100-150 Hz on the bottom, makes it extremely unlikely that you'll get accurate, tuneful, and dynamic reproduction of this very large, bass-filled range (in which is a lot of mid-bass, upper bass/lower midrange, etc). 3.5" is very small to do that job without the assistance of DSP, sound-shaping circuits, etc.

Second: the Sony has all those DSP, sound-shaping, and loudness electronics; it also backs up their little "woofers" with passive radiators, and altogether, probably produces a rather different distribution of audible frequencies than you're probably used to: ie, no real low bass or sub-bass (which is probably the least important of all in a desktop environment); more mid- and upper-bass, and perhaps somewhat less treble (ie, an upside down U-shaped sound). My guess is the Sony "fools the ear" into thinking it has richer bass; vs your Edifier, which probably is actively deficient in upper-bass & lower-midrange.

After I ditched computer speakers, which ran off the soundcard and didn't sound very good, I upgraded ~10 years ago to a very well designed & constructed 2.1 system by NHT (M-00 L+R powered monitors, 4.5" woofer + 1" silk tweeter) + S-00 subwoofer (8" ported). That system had a rather flat, dynamic sound, good lows & highs, but overall a touch bright. 1.5 yrs ago I upgraded the M-00's to powered L+R Swan M200 MKIII's which have 5" woofer + 1" silk tweeter (I kept the NHT woofer). Immediately the sound was richer and more euphonic. That's partly because the Swans are "voiced" differently than the NHT's (more on the euphonic, "friendly" sound than the flat/accurate sound spectrum). But no doubt some of it was due to the larger woofer--even going to 5" from 4.5" is a big upgrade--such that the frequencies covered by the woofer (approximately the same in the Swans vs NHT's) has more impact & authority--ie, more satisfying mid- and upper-bass + lower midrange.

Eventually I replaced the NHT sub with an SVS 12" sealed sub, and instantly gained greater tonal accuracy and authority in the bass (below 80 Hz goes to the sub).

Last week I purchased the ZenPro modded Yamaha HS7's (6.5" woofer + 1" fabric tweeter). I have yet to connect them in my system w/the sub, but already while they burned in, it was very clear these monitors have a richer, more impactful lower range than the Swans, along with a very nice, accurate but non-fatiguing treble. Again, going to a bigger woofer in the 2-way design (6.5" vs 5") is a big upgrade.

Personally, I'd rather get more sound quality by properly sized & powered drivers than by electronic tricks and circuit gimmicks. So I think you could either step up to a larger 2.1 design (such as the Audio Engine 5+ w/sub); or venture farther afield by getting a pair of powered monitors + a same-brand sub (ie, M-Audio, KRK, etc). Nevertheless, each to his/her own...

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #35 of 49
It's been some time since I owned PC/computer speakers; I'm not an authority on current 2.1 (satellite + sub) systems. But I suspect there are 2 reasons for the difference in performance between your system and the Sony:

First (most obvious): having a 3.5" "woofer" covering the entire range between say, 2 kHz on the top and 100-150 Hz on the bottom, makes it extremely unlikely that you'll get accurate, tuneful, and dynamic reproduction of this very large, bass-filled range (in which is a lot of mid-bass, upper bass/lower midrange, etc). 3.5" is very small to do that job without the assistance of DSP, sound-shaping circuits, etc.

Second: the Sony has all those DSP, sound-shaping, and loudness electronics; it also backs up their little "woofers" with passive radiators, and altogether, probably produces a rather different distribution of audible frequencies than you're probably used to: ie, no real low bass or sub-bass (which is probably the least important of all in a desktop environment); more mid- and upper-bass, and perhaps somewhat less treble (ie, an upside down U-shaped sound). My guess is the Sony "fools the ear" into thinking it has richer bass; vs your Edifier, which probably is actively deficient in upper-bass & lower-midrange.

After I ditched computer speakers, which ran off the soundcard and didn't sound very good, I upgraded ~10 years ago to a very well designed & constructed 2.1 system by NHT (M-00 L+R powered monitors, 4.5" woofer + 1" silk tweeter) + S-00 subwoofer (8" ported). That system had a rather flat, dynamic sound, good lows & highs, but overall a touch bright. 1.5 yrs ago I upgraded the M-00's to powered L+R Swan M200 MKIII's which have 5" woofer + 1" silk tweeter (I kept the NHT woofer). Immediately the sound was richer and more euphonic. That's partly because the Swans are "voiced" differently than the NHT's (more on the euphonic, "friendly" sound than the flat/accurate sound spectrum). But no doubt some of it was due to the larger woofer--even going to 5" from 4.5" is a big upgrade--such that the frequencies covered by the woofer (approximately the same in the Swans vs NHT's) has more impact & authority--ie, more satisfying mid- and upper-bass + lower midrange.

Eventually I replaced the NHT sub with an SVS 12" sealed sub, and instantly gained greater tonal accuracy and authority in the bass (below 80 Hz goes to the sub).

Last week I purchased the ZenPro modded Yamaha HS7's (6.5" woofer + 1" fabric tweeter). I have yet to connect them in my system w/the sub, but already while they burned in, it was very clear these monitors have a richer, more impactful lower range than the Swans, along with a very nice, accurate but non-fatiguing treble. Again, going to a bigger woofer in the 2-way design (6.5" vs 5") is a big upgrade.

Personally, I'd rather get more sound quality by properly sized & powered drivers than by electronic tricks and circuit gimmicks. So I think you could either step up to a larger 2.1 design (such as the Audio Engine 5+ w/sub); or venture farther afield by getting a pair of powered monitors + a same-brand sub (ie, M-Audio, KRK, etc). Nevertheless, each to his/her own...
I was actually eyeing the Audioengine A5+, but if I'll go big speakers, I'd rather get ones with enough oomph to stand on their own. Would the A5+ have credible enough low end since they're not actually flat monitors, and geared towards bass from what I've read? If only there was an A6 with an inch bigger woofer I imagine it would be just perfect.

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #36 of 49
I was actually eyeing the Audioengine A5+, but if I'll go big speakers, I'd rather get ones with enough oomph to stand on their own. Would the A5+ have credible enough low end since they're not actually flat monitors, and geared towards bass from what I've read? If only there was an A6 with an inch bigger woofer I imagine it would be just perfect.

The jury is still out on whether the A5+ is "credible" or not. Many users love them; but some (particularly people coming from a high-end audio background) find their sound deficient.
  • I researched the Audio 5+ and their 8" sub some years back, but didn't like what I heard in the user comments, particularly for the sub, so went in a different direction.
  • The A5+ is not a true "active monitor" (ie, a crossover-less design w/an amp dedicated to each driver). If memory serves, there is one amp that gets applied to the 2 drivers by use of a passive crossover. So at least theoreticallyl, the A5+ does not have the design benefits of no passive crossover (ie, greater accuracy within-band; better dynamics; higher absolute dB output). This may or may not matter to you, but some people prefer true active designs.

There actually is a "sort-of" A6 now--it's the wireless model, HD6 (http://audioengineusa.com/shop/wirelessspeakers/hd6-wireless-speakers/) w/a 5.5" woofer. A lot of people like how that sounds (more so than the 5+), and it can be run w/any sub that has a high-pass crossover output. I didn't go for this one because I wanted a bigger woofer, also because the HD6 has digital inputs & onboard DAC that I just don't need.

BTW, if you think the A5+ is big, then you're in for a rude surprise--every powered speaker or monitor w/at least a 6" woofer is considerably larger. Getting powered speakers or monitors that "have enough oomph to stand on their own" usually means more desktop space.

Jul 17, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #37 of 49
I ended up getting Klipsch speakers during the Christmas in July sale, at 50% off!!!

Klipsch R-15M Bookshelf Speaker (Pair)
Klipsch Reference R-10SW Surround Subwoofer, 300 Watts Peak Power,(Brushed Black Vinyl, 10-Inch)

Can't wait till everything arrives and I get it hooked up.

Jul 17, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #38 of 49
I ended up getting Klipsch speakers during the Christmas in July sale, at 50% off!!!

Klipsch R-15M Bookshelf Speaker (Pair)
Klipsch Reference R-10SW Surround Subwoofer, 300 Watts Peak Power,(Brushed Black Vinyl, 10-Inch)

Can't wait till everything arrives and I get it hooked up.

I'm interested in your comments about this new system's sound, once you've gotten it hooked up & familiarized w/it.

I looked at the Klipsch along the way, but held out for a powered monitor w/a larger woofer. Still, look forward to hearing whether you like them...

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #39 of 49
Here they are! Sounds great so far.

3qvJChq.jpg

May 13, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #43 of 49
I'm interested in your comments about this new system's sound, once you've gotten it hooked up & familiarized w/it.

I looked at the Klipsch along the way, but held out for a powered monitor w/a larger woofer. Still, look forward to hearing whether you like them...

Well, here it is almost 2 years later...

The system still sounds amazing! I am loving Klipsch and hopefully can get their large speakers for my Home Theater some day. I have only changed out the DAC and HP Amp in these 2 years. My PC quit recognizing the original Modi, so I replaced the Schitt stack with Modi 3 and Magni 3. The only heartache I have is that the volume on the Magni controls the pre-out level. I end up leaving the Magni at about 1 o'clock and the Onkyo at -40 dB for normal listening, then controlling the volume with the Onkyo.

May 13, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #44 of 49
Well, here it is almost 2 years later...

The system still sounds amazing! I am loving Klipsch and hopefully can get their large speakers for my Home Theater some day. I have only changed out the DAC and HP Amp in these 2 years. My PC quit recognizing the original Modi, so I replaced the Schitt stack with Modi 3 and Magni 3. The only heartache I have is that the volume on the Magni controls the pre-out level. I end up leaving the Magni at about 1 o'clock and the Onkyo at -40 dB for normal listening, then controlling the volume with the Onkyo.

I never heard a horn-loaded tweeter that I can recall. How does that sound in the nearfield setup you have?

That's a nice looking setup. The only suggestion I have is to invest in some kind of inert 1-2" spacer (foam, dense rubber, whatever) between desktop & each speaker. I use Auralex MoPads for this. It helps to tighten the bass a bit & perhaps also cut down a bit of the bounce-echo from desktop.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acc...-oHbBhEoBsiInh6_XbWrZhUoCxd5ftvhoCCeoQAvD_BwE

May 13, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #45 of 49
I never heard a horn-loaded tweeter that I can recall. How does that sound in the nearfield setup you have?

That's a nice looking setup. The only suggestion I have is to invest in some kind of inert 1-2" spacer (foam, dense rubber, whatever) between desktop & each speaker. I use Auralex MoPads for this. It helps to tighten the bass a bit & perhaps also cut down a bit of the bounce-echo from desktop.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acc...-oHbBhEoBsiInh6_XbWrZhUoCxd5ftvhoCCeoQAvD_BwE

Yeah, that pic is 2 years old as well. I did get foam pads from Amazon, they work well. The speakers sound amazing near-field. I hadn't heard a horn tweeter either but I like it. I can turn these up LOUD for some Death Metal goodness!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back