Complys coming off Etys in my ears
Oct 29, 2008 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

tnmike1

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, here I am home alone, enjoying my Ety 4p with Comply "P" tips. Symphony is done, go to pull the IEMs out of my ears and BOTH complys stay in my ears as the Etys detach themselves from the tips. After about 15 minutes of probing with forceps, got the Complys out of my ears.
So question is: what am I doing wrong?? Putting them too deeply in my ears?? Not shoving them onto the Etys far enough??

Before this--and it was kinda scary because usually wife is home to help me out of my dilemmas with stuck-in-ear IEMs--Complys are quite comfortable and better than the triflanges that come with the Ety. Now, though, almost afraid to use them.

So any help in this would be appreciated

Oct 29, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #2 of 16
Are you putting the Comply tips on all the way? I have the standard/long Comply P tips, and the inner tube of the Comply goes all the way to the main housing of the Etymotic ER4. The back of the foam part also touches the Etymotic housing. It should require a decent effort to put on and take off Comply tips from the ER4.

Oct 29, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 16
No I have not put them on that far Was afraid of damaging the transducer housing on the Ety when I want to remove the comply. Just got Ety back from Etymotics after some repairs and don't want to mess them up. So when I put the Complys on that far, any trick on removing them???

Also--they seem deeper than the standard tri-flanges Does this mean filter changes on the Ety is less frequent?

Oct 29, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 16
Squeeze the tips somewhat firmly and use a twisting motion as if you're screwing them on and off. Filter changes will probably depend on your ear wax. I guess you'll have to listen for it. I've never before had to change an Etymotic filter. Granted the four sets I've owned over the years were each only used for a short amount of time.

Oct 30, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #5 of 16
Possum: that's what concerns me. That screwing action could mess up the tiny wires that connect the transducers to the cable?? Don't know. I just know that when one of my transducers broke off from being squashed in a backpack by a very heavy book, those transducers and their wires looked awfully fragile. Hope the torque involved in twisting these on and off don't harm anything.

Oct 30, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 16
You're not twisting any wires when you install or remove the tips - at least you shouldn't be. One hand firmly holds the transducer housing while the other holds the tip.

Oct 30, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Possum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you putting the Comply tips on all the way? I have the standard/long Comply P tips, and the inner tube of the Comply goes all the way to the main housing of the Etymotic ER4. The back of the foam part also touches the Etymotic housing. It should require a decent effort to put on and take off Comply tips from the ER4.

when you said the foam touched the main housing, I was thinking those Complys were hiding the entire housing So thanks for the clarification

Nov 9, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #8 of 16
I am considering buying some of these Comply tips for my ER-4Ps. I am currently using the tri-flanges which offer great sound quality, but are uncomfortable after about an hour or so of use. I tried using the foamies that came with the 4Ps, but I get less bass response. Has anyone here compared the Comply foamies to the 4P foamies? Do they offer comparable bass response to the tri-flanges?

Nov 10, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #10 of 16
yes they provide the same bass response. The triflanges were a bit "itchy" after about one hour. Now that I know how to really screw those complys on, they stick properly, increase the bass a bit and so comfortable I don't even know I'm wearing them

Nov 10, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #11 of 16
Try the smaller size blue triflange for the etys. The regular ones may be too big for your ears, causing discomfort. Or mod them to bi-flanges or purchase bi-flange tips. IMO, a bi- or tri- would be much more comfortable than a foam(even for my not so small ears).

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the smaller size blue triflange for the etys. The regular ones may be too big for your ears, causing discomfort. Or mod them to bi-flanges or purchase bi-flange tips. IMO, a bi- or tri- would be much more comfortable than a foam(even for my not so small ears).

Tried the new ones when Etymotics sent a free pair after repairing my Ety4p. They were worse than the triflanges. Honestly, I've found the complys to be the most comfortable tips I've ever worn, and nowuse them on my Etys and my Image X10. Hardly know they're in your ears

Nov 10, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #13 of 16
Good to know I'm not the only one who thinks the tri-flanges are good, but feel they get annoying and itchy after like an hour of use, and therefore prefer complys... It's stupid of Etymotic not to ship their phones with complys or similar soft foam tips...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back