Comply tips - how long to they last?
Nov 15, 2008 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Pneumaniatic

Head-Fier
So how long do these tips typically last? They seem kinda pricy to me at $15 for 3 pairs (never bought replacement tips before, don't know what "good" prices are for tips) so I wanna make sure whether or not I'm gonna burn through a pair every couple of weeks. Then, I might go for the bulk 10 packs
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2008 at 11:57 AM Post #3 of 27
whoever said this hobby was inexpensive?? Buy the bulk pack. Mine last about a month or so. And Comply says not towash them. So clean with damp cloth and when they get too disgusting, replace

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #4 of 27
Depends on what IEM you are using, maybe you can get Shure Black Foam sleeves instead (and they last much longer than Comply).

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure black foams reduces SQ dramatically. A pair of comply tips usually lasts 2 ~ 3 weeks for me.

lol it appears that opinions on foams vary that widely huh. could've sworn I read about some people raving about shure foam> comply

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pneumaniatic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how long do these tips typically last? They seem kinda pricy to me at $15 for 3 pairs (never bought replacement tips before, don't know what "good" prices are for tips) so I wanna make sure whether or not I'm gonna burn through a pair every couple of weeks. Then, I might go for the bulk 10 packs
biggrin.gif

2 weeks at least. i'd say most people would have to change them after a month. it all depends on how gross you're willing to take them.

you ARE going to burn through quite a couple pairs if you use them very often, and your ears are quite moist, like mine are.

so if you decide that complys are the tips for you in terms of sound and comfort, you might wanna just do the bulk thing.

Nov 15, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #10 of 27
lol the shure foams make no difference with sound quality, you guys are talking trash like any difference is big, if tips make a difference then its a tiny one, why are you lot talking like the tips make the sound, all they do is attempt to isolate, and we all know the more isolation you get the more bass you get, so yes the shure black foams may give a bit more bass but it really is all down the what earphones you use then.

Nov 15, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #11 of 27
Are you kidding me? Of course tips make a change in sound if all tips sounded the same people would not have preferences a lot of people feel that foams muffle the sound and prefer to use silicons or other tip options instead. You should go and use the search button a bit and read up on people using different types of tips and what there findings are.

Nov 15, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #12 of 27
I guess it depends on the IEMs used as well, the olives do sound bloated in comparison to foamies on the etymotic er4s, I wouldn't say the decrease in sound quality is dramatic though. I've got to try some Complys
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol the shure foams make no difference with sound quality, you guys are talking trash like any difference is big, if tips make a difference then its a tiny one, why are you lot talking like the tips make the sound, all they do is attempt to isolate, and we all know the more isolation you get the more bass you get, so yes the shure black foams may give a bit more bass but it really is all down the what earphones you use then.

good pair of tips are just like great running shoes! there isnt any good runner who can run bare footed or with a pair of lousy sneakers(unless they're like haile gebrselassie who's been running barefooted since young)
icon10.gif

Nov 15, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #14 of 27
Originally Posted by jinx20001 View Post

====

I think you countered you're own point. simple fact is (as you point out) different fit = different sound (bad or good bass). So sq is affected.

As far as it being a small change, I don't think its a small difference. for me a small difference means I have to listen to several tracks to get a good feel for the change, a dramatic change is when you notice a different sound right away. In most cases when I change tips the headphones can sound different and I can pick up the change instantaneously -- so for me thats a dramatic change. I still prefer the shure olives though. But if it comes down to the seal that you make and how the fit stays as you move and listen, then perhaps you're right to point out that the tips don't make a difference in terms of SQ, but the simple fact that I can't get the same fit from complys as the shure tips kind of tells me I get different sq from different tips. Unless you can invent universal tips that change form/material/composition/density etcc... at your whim I think its safe to say -- different tips = different sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back