Complete Speaker System Overhaul - Suggestions/Criticisms Welcome
Dec 1, 2004 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

NeilPeart

Headphoneus Supremus
I am thinking of selling my NAD/PSB system and building a HiFi that surpasses even my old Unico/Vandersteen rig. This is my plan:

Transport 1
- Panasonic DVD-S47: great sound and completely unmolested, full-bandwidth digital output (up to 192kHz) of DVD-Audio signal via coaxial. Access to advanced menu will be provided by the Samsung 510MP (connected via S-Video).
$0 (I own it)
Transport 2 - Hush MiniITX system with Chaintech AV-710 as transport outputting via optical digital and connecting to Samsung 510MP via VGA. It will connect to my file server via an 802.11G USB adapter.
$1,000
DAC/Preamp - Benchmark DAC1: I already use one in my computer-based rig and I am very satisfied with its performance and sound signature. It will accept the signals from the DVD-S47 and PC-based system (lossless FLAC, of course).
$900 (I have one already but it’s in my other system and I can’t let it go)
Paradigm Active/40 - I recently heard these speakers with my DAC1 and I was absolutely floored. They were easily better than my PSBs or Vandersteens and throwing in the Servo-15 subwoofer was amazing (though unnecessary for most pieces, IMO). I still need to find these elusive speakers, and I do prefer the wooden veneer if possible. I will accept no other substitutes for these speakers. They will connect directly to my DAC1 via XLR cables (they are active and feature their own power amps).
$1,000 - $2,500
Headphones - HD580/Oehlbach: My HD650/Zu XLR is serving my PC-based rig perfectly, and I’m certainly not gonna connect the Active/40s to my DAC1 via single-ended cables to make room for the balanced headphones! The HD580 will suffice, though its use will be limited; it sounds great out of the DAC1's headamp, IMO.
$0 (I own it)
IC/PC Cabling/Power conditioning – This will be decided when the system is more or less complete and after my wallet recovers.
~$500 (the actual figure will depend on the components selected)

Total: $2,400 - $3,900

Building this system will require me to first:
Pay off my debt (within 3 months)
Buy a condo (within 6 months)
Sell off my NAD/PSB system and extra guitars (ASAP)

What do you guys think? Any helpful hints/criticisms/suggestions? Has anyone else heard a system using the Active/40 speakers? What stands should I use for them? What should I use to fill up said stands? Thanks guys – any input will be appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2004 at 3:31 AM Post #2 of 5
What do you guys think? Any helpful hints/criticisms/suggestions? Has anyone else heard a system using the Active/40 speakers? What stands should I use for them? What should I use to fill up said stands? Thanks guys – any input will be appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif
[/QUOTE]

I owned the very similar paradigm active 20's(same woofer/tweeter /1.5khz electronic crossover and the exact same amps)for about five years; great speaker. I used them alone at first and eventually added a sunfire powered sub. The speakers had the best imaging and depth of field I have heard fom any speaker. The active 20's, as you can likely imagine having heard the 40's, are also a very clean, resolving and amazingly neutral sounding speaker; except for just a little upper bass bloom. Speaking of bass,the active 20 had a contour to set the bass roll off and if I used the setting for the most bass extension the bass didnt blend very well; to fat and slow sounding. I used the normal setting for my best bass results and I felt the mids were cleaner too. With the woofers not having to work so hard the sound is definitely more refined. Unfortunately, the mid bass was still slightly warm and slow even with the higher bass cutoff. Furthermore, I found if I pushed this speakers volume/output level the bass would become somewhat uncontrolled and lag behind even further. The protection circuitry was touchy on my pair and high level bass transients would shut it down at modest volumes sometimes for no apparent reason.The sunfire sub solved that problem. The active 40's second woofer in the 40 may render my problem with the 20's non-existant. The original protection circuitry was improved/ redone prior to the 40's introduction too so you should not have that problem.

The 40's should include the same active crossover the rolls the bass off around 80hz for use with a sub. My actives 20's had this feature and it worked very well. I doubt you need a sub with the 40 but I wanted to comment the cossover is very easy to set if you do end up ever using a sub.The extra woofer in the 40 may solve the fat bass problem I encountered but the active 40 still uses the same 125 watt bass/mid amp so I dont know how the speaker will react at higher spl's. At typical volumes the 40's do have more bass than the 20's. But I also thought the 40 was more linear sounding in my only audition of the 40's; but different room different electronics than my 20's. Neither of these speakers are that efficient despite whats claimed and the amps work pretty hard to drive them at louder levels. The 20's had 125 watts/6.5" woofer while the 40's have 125 watts/2 x 6.5" woofer. The extra woofer doubles the output but they have half the power to drive them, so its seems like a wash. These speakers are not lease breakers unless you add a sub to take some of the load off the midbass drivers

The 20's sound so composed you have a tendency, or atleast I did, to turn them up and hit the air guiter. I had a few instances where I activated the protection circuitry after three to four hours use.
redface.gif
I dont listen that loudly even when I say I turn the volume up.
plainface.gif
Thats where it becomes clear the amp is working quite hard even at moderate levels. Its good the protection circuitry works but it sure is scary the first time one of the speakers stop working.
eek.gif
I used 24" stands for the active 20 but 16" stands would be about right for the active 40's. I used sand to load the stands; lead is to costly and dangerous IMO. The sand works fine. Lovan makes a nice, but reasonably priced 16" stand that should have enough top plate size for the 40's.

As for tweaks, I suggest upgrading the stock 25' interconnects (which you already plan to do). I found a pair of 20' mit #2 interconnects for sale back then and the difference was very noticeable providing more overall refinement top to bottom. I used a McCormack MID or an Audilble Illusions tube preamp to drive the 20's. The tube preamp was much better to my tastes and the soundstage was absolutely HUGE with tubes. The gentle treble of the tube preamp also removed a slight dryness in the mid to upper treble that was always evident(not annoying) with the MID driving the 20's. The MID had its good points though with much less noise and better channel balance. I remember I loved Nirvana Unplugged with tubes and Eric Claptons 24 Nights with the MID.

I bet one of the good tube headamp/preamps available to us these days would be stunning with the active 40's. What else... Oh I know. The active 40 will likely respond to a better quality power cord. I hated giving up the nice tight fitting connector of the stock cords but the sound had more punch and tighter bass with a better cord. The signalcable magic power cords would likely be a very good match. I tried power conditioning on the speakers and it sucked the life right out of them; no dynamics, no drive, just boring and lifeless sound with no emotion whatsoever. Hook the speakers up directly to the wall, they have obviously been voiced to sound best that way. Set the speakers well out into the room if you can the soundstaging is the BEST if you can. This placement blended the bass better with the mids in my setup too. If I think of anything else I will post it. If you have any specific questions post them or give me a pm.

Dec 1, 2004 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the great response, Earl - you really took your time with such a thorough reply!
smily_headphones1.gif
I appreciate the advice for the stands, as I've never owned speakers that require them; I do plan to upgrade the power cords (either to the Signal Cable or PS Audio) and I'll probably use Bluejeanscable's XLR cables. I'm quite firm with the DAC1 as I really love its sound and I like the simplicity of DAC1->Speakers. I'd really like to implement a Servo-15 sub like I heard in the demo, but it's way outta my budget right now (like the Active/40s are IN my budget!
wink.gif
). Any other advice or tips are welcome, guys! Thanks again for the informative post, Earl.

Dec 1, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 5
The active 40's will be difficult to find paradigm discontinued them a while back although I think the studio 40s would be suitable replacements if you can't find the active's.

Dec 1, 2004 at 9:14 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
The active 40's will be difficult to find paradigm discontinued them a while back although I think the studio 40s would be suitable replacements if you can't find the active's.

The active versions slaughter the passive versions. The passive versions are brightish and thin sounding. The midrange, treble quality, imaging and soundstaging of the actives is completely superior in every way. It is a shame that stopped making them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back