complete newbie questions
Apr 3, 2004 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

butkovsky

New Head-Fier
i have been reading here for a week or two, and i have to say i am somewhat overwhelmed with all the knowledge being tossed around here...but here it goes.

my main questions deal with my pc set-up in regards to my stereo system and my headphones, which are both currently being used by my computer.

my stereo (relevant components) consists of the follwing:

harmon kardon avr30 receiver
2 harmon kardon pa 2100 signature series power amps
4 bose 301 series iii speakers

somewhat dated, but a great hand me down from my father

my computer (reveleant components) consists of the follwing:

audigy i
senn hd 280 pro

i am looking to try to set up the system correctly to maximize the volume and quality of sound. i basically run everything from my computer - music, games, anything. i uses my headphones most of the time but use my stereo from time to time.

here is the setup as of now (i know, lots of mistakes, but that is why i am looking for help). i have a y splitter coming from the audio out on the audigy. one end of the y is to my senns. the other to a mini to mini exstension of about 20 feet, then into a mini to rca to an auxiliary input on the receiver.

the sound to the stereo is so so, with a definite loss in volume, having to crank it to get louder levels. the sound to the senns is also only ok, and i can more or less max out the computer volume.

what are all the changes i should make? i am assuming i need to find a way to get rid of the y if possible, then get a single, higher quality, shorter, mini to rca cable. how can i bypass the y? that should increase the signal, correct? how can i keep both the stereo and senns hooked up at the same time?

i have been toying with the idea of an inexpensive headphone amp (rolls ha43 amp) and visiting headphile and getting a new mini to rca cable. would these steps make a difference?

lastly, is there anything i should do on the strero end to help this, or no?

sorry if these questions are basic, but i have to learn somehow. i searched for many of these, but could not find direct answers to my questions. i also tried posting on many pc sites, but they did not offer the kind of info i was finding here.

ok, one more quick one, if looking to sell some equipment, should i go here or audiogon?

thanks so much and i will check often to provide any info people may need.

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 13
i don't think the splitter is degrading your sound quality too much. i do worry about having a no name 20 foot mini-mini extension cable though. i'd get that taken care of first. (what cable i'd recommend for that? i have no idea)

next probably a sound card upgrade. audigy for gaming, but something else for music.

then after that maybe an amp.

just general comments, i'm sure other people have other opinions.

and welcome to head-fi, sorry about the wallet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 1:40 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
It helps to list your budget.

-Ed

not really looking to spend more than 200 or so, as there are other things i am looking to take care of. i was looking to take care of the cable, about 50 - 75 for that on headphile, and the little amp was about 60. i eventually want to take everything to a better level, but just got a lcd screen and a dvd burner for the computer. i am just looking for a modest improvment for the time being, but i was uncertain if what i was thinking even made any sense.

Apr 4, 2004 at 12:14 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by butkovsky
wallet?

As in get out and get out now before it is completely empty, and pledged to be empty for the next year
very_evil_smiley.gif
I came in looking for advice on a simple pair of $20 or so earbuds and wound up dropping about $150 (and am now thinking about upgrading my hts
frown.gif
)

Apr 4, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Hoshyoto
As in get out and get out now before it is completely empty, and pledged to be empty for the next year
very_evil_smiley.gif
I came in looking for advice on a simple pair of $20 or so earbuds and wound up dropping about $150 (and am now thinking about upgrading my hts
frown.gif
)

thanks, a little slow. i am getting that feeling, and have read the old, just wanted this.....500000000 dollars later statements in may threads. not a good combination for me. lol

Apr 4, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by acs236
I'm worried that the y splitter is straining your sound card. Is it possible to drive the headphones through your receiver?

i suppose this is goes back to one of my original questions...should i avoid the y if possible. with this, should i upgrade the connection from my auidgy to my receiver and then hook my phones into my reciever?

then there would be no y, and the improved cable would (possibly) both give increased performance to the sound from the stereo. in turn, would the receiver also give increased performance to phones?

one more question. if i were to do everythig described above, would an extension on the phone cable after it would be hooked to the reciever defeat the purpose, or would there be little loss?

Apr 4, 2004 at 11:11 PM Post #11 of 13
i still say the the splitter isn't going to make that much of a difference. i could explain it in more electrical engineer terms but i really gotta get back to biochem at the moment.

you could PM orpheus about it. he's done a bit of splitting in his system(s) with which he's noted no problems.

Apr 4, 2004 at 11:59 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
i still say the the splitter isn't going to make that much of a difference. i could explain it in more electrical engineer terms but i really gotta get back to biochem at the moment.

you could PM orpheus about it. he's done a bit of splitting in his system(s) with which he's noted no problems.

i will send him a message, thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back