Complete newbie here - HD595's for portable audio/dvds?
Apr 5, 2006 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Spider7

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

I'm really new to all of this stuff - I've owned just about every cheap pair of headphones you can name, from the ipod and psp freebies to the ones from the $0.99 cent store to the fancy $14.99 ones at Wal-Mart.

I just recently spent $99 (what I considered to be a lot for headphones) on the Shure e2c headphones and was blown away by the quality from them compared to what I usually listen to music with.

While those are great, I've always preferred the "full sized" headphones, and the HD959's seem to be the ones people are recommending most. I found them for roughly $180 shipped, but have some questions first..

Just now in reading different threads, they all seem to mention various types of amps - are these required to get good sound out of the 595's?

My main uses for them would be Portable audio (ipod), portable gaming (PSP/Nintendo DS), Home gaming (Just about every console out there) and DVD Movies. I have the Consoles and DVD Movies hooked up to a receiver (700w 7.1 system), so I'm hoping that sounds good - but I'm also really interested in the portable items (the gaming systems and ipod).

I hear they 'leak audio' a lot, which is fine with me.

In the end, my big question would be whether they're worth getting for the above list of uses (the music mostly being pop/rock/techno) if I have no intentions to buy an Amp for them.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2006 at 12:39 PM Post #2 of 35
1. 595s don't need an amp to sound really good (you can always get one later, if you really want).

2. They are excellent for gaming, DVD and music listening. Real good allrounders. Do almost every music style well enough to be quite satisfied.

3. They are (IMHO) the most stylish full sized cans - I'd even dare wearing them out on the street.

Apr 5, 2006 at 12:45 PM Post #3 of 35
Yeah, these are good for the uses you mentioned. A great all around headphone. An amp is not necessary but it really does help a good bit.

BTW, welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet.

Apr 5, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 35
I just listened to the 595s over the weekend. Bass was good, compact and solid, vocals were clear, treble was bright enough but not piercing. The whole peice of music came across as one tight package.. very well packaged.. for lack of a better word.. but there still seems to be a veil over the music, like you are listening to the artise perform behind a very thin silk screen.. but besides that.. very very good...

sorry, newbie here too and i lack the audiophile vocabulary...

Apr 5, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 35
The 595 is an excellent headphone and should serve you well for your intended purposes. I would also do a search on the Audiotechnica A900, though, as many swear by it as a gaming can.

Apr 5, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
I would also do a search on the Audiotechnica A900, though, as many swaer by it as a gaming can.

They can blow the music as well. Surround the sound for DTS movies. They can shake the heads with punchy bass while keeping other instruments sound alive like his 7.1 speakers.

Spider7 !!! If you go with A900 then your 7.1 speakers are getting serious competetion.

HD595 is also good. But I never heard one.
icon10.gif

Apr 5, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
They can blow the music as well. Surround the sound for DTS movies. They can shake the heads with punchy bass while keeping other instruments sound alive like his 7.1 speakers.

Spider7 !!! If you go with A900 then your 7.1 speakers are getting serious competetion.

HD595 is also good. But I never heard one.
icon10.gif

A900 as portable cans?
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #10 of 35
The downer on the 595 for portable use is that they leak sound. The A900s are nice and definitely have more bass than the 595s IMO. A900s are not portable as stated above.

Apr 5, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #11 of 35
Since you stated sound leakage isn't a problem for you, the only gripe with the 595 for portable use is the cord length, and it terminates in a 1/4 plug, so you need to use the mini adapter, which makes it more cumbersome. Very easy to drive, and when I used to own it and a Supermacro amp, the difference between amped and unamped is marginal at best, so I went unamped with the 595 the vast majority of the time. Of all the full sized cans I've owned, they are only second to the HD25 in efficiency.

Apr 5, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
get an HD 580, costs less than the 595 and is better.

There is no clear "better" in the headphones world - you should have learned this on head-fi. The 595s are known to be very versatile. The 580, being quite similar to the 600, might be too neutral and bass-shy for certain kinds of music. Maybe we should ask Spyder, what music he listens to, before stating certain headphones are "better" than others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back