Complement for Denon D2000
Jun 4, 2013 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

farfly

Head-Fier
Hi, today, after trying an at ad900x, im sure that i need something closed with more bass impact.
I already have a pair of denon d2000 which i find excellent for modern music with a lot of bass, but i fint the mids too recessed and the highs piercing, so basically what im searching for a headphone more equilibrated. This are the points

- Strong clean bass, without affect the mids and highs like d2000.
- Forwards and airy mids.
- Soft highs with some sparlkle and no sibilance.
- Big soundstage(very important)

The music i listen is EDM(trance and vocal trance), pop, modern music, etc...

Im considering this headphones:

- Audio Technica a900x(seems to be ideal for me because i liked ad900x) 175$
- Audio Technica ws99(maybe too bass for me) 175$
- Akg k550 (i tryed it long time ago and find it too analitycal) 175$
- Shure srh940(i tryed it long time ago and find it too dark) 200$

If you know some another headphones in that price range please say me, all recomendarions are appreciated.
Thanks and regards

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 12
Ultrasone Pro 2500. Highs can be piercing at first, but it goes away in time (burn-in)

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 12
Seems to me that if you're looking for

"Forwards and airy mids.
- Soft highs with some sparlkle and no sibilance.
- Big soundstage(very important)"

you should consider buying open headphones.

"Airy" and "big soundstage" are generally
more characteristic of good open headphones
rather than good closed headphones.

The AT900's and AKG 550's you mentioned are
among the best closed headphones in these aspects.

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 12
Out of the ones you listed, I'd vote for the A900x. To me, it was very balanced and non sibilant. The bass was very good as well, not overly boomy but fairly deep. I have the K550 and also find it analytical sounding. Try out the A900x first if possible, the wing headband system doesn't work for everyone, myself included unfortunately. I might just buy them again sometime, they sound really good for their price.

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 12
M-100 for the win. I have them and they excel at all the genres you mentioned. However they are kind of similar to D2000, I think they are better than the d2000 for EDM, so more of replacement as opposed to a complement. Hence I'm voting for 

Philips Fidelio X1

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #7 of 12
First Thanks to all for the recomendation, are really aprecciated. 

I listened to some ultrasondes like dj1 pro and pro750 and its not my signature, too piercing highs, metallic sound(for me).

I live in Spain and the cheapest i can get them is for about 350$, so its out of my budget(220$).

I discard the k550's because are too analytical for me. 

So the conclusion is that now im between the a900x, ws99 and fidelio x1, yesterday i tryed the audio technicas ad900x and sounds amazing, airy, soundstage, mids, all perfect but i need more bass pressence(not too much).

The Fidelio x1 i can get it for 220$ and a friend say me that sounds like a closed headphone, and i read the mids are a little reccesed so im not sure. So finally i would go with a900x or ws99. Someone have listened both to give me a simple comparison?

Thanks and regards

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #9 of 12
Probably i will try them in next weeks, but i read the fidelios x1 have a little reccesed mids.
And the more important, i can get it for around 240$ while the a900x are 160$ from japan, maybe 200$ with custom dutys.
so i think the a900x would be a better choice.

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
Probably i will try them in next weeks, but i read the fidelios x1 have a little reccesed mids.
And the more important, i can get it for around 240$ while the a900x are 160$ from japan, maybe 200$ with custom dutys.
so i think the a900x would be a better choice.

All things considered, they do sound like the right ones for you.

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #11 of 12
a900x..... not enough bass for the genres you listen to, especially EDM :p just my 2 cents. But then again, you have your D2000. 

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #12 of 12
I dont need a basshead can, fot that i already have the d2000's, m looking for something with better mids, highs, and soundstage in a close can, otherwise i will try the fidelio x1 and decide after that, thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back