Competitve gaming headphone options with VERY strong mids/highs?
Nov 15, 2013 at 2:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

adverb

New Head-Fier
Having trouble sorting between all my options under $150.

Needs:

1)  Detachable cable
2)  Velour earpads (aftermarket upgrade is fine)
3)  Large soundstage (for competitve shooters like CS)
4)  Very bright

Currently have a Xi-Fi soundcard, but I have no issue with upgrading if I need to.  I have a hearing loss in the upper frequencies (1khz - 4khz), so headphones that sound too bright and forward to most sound NORMAL to me!

Nov 15, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #2 of 8
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z (SB1500, retail box), $65.
Should improve the sound of any headphones, compared to your current X-FI.
(Which X-Fi is it?)
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Beamforming-Microphone-SB1500/dp/B009ISU33E

Sell off your current X-Fi and see how much of a budget you have for headphones.

Nov 16, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #4 of 8
  My budget isn't that strict, I've been looking at headphones from $40 to $200.

AKG K612 Pro ($160) or one of the (over $200) AKG 7XX series.
(The K612 does not have a detachable cable).

The Sound Blaster Z's headphone amplifier should easily be able to drive one of those headphones.
(Which X-fi do you have?)

Nov 17, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for the replies!   Couple more questions:

a)  For the Sound Blaster Z card that was linked...If I wanted an external volume knob, would the ZX version be the recommendation or would I be better off with a different model?
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Gaming-Control-SB1506/dp/B009XDWUCQ/ $115

b)  What would ya'll recommend under the $100 range for headphones?  Would Superlux HD681-Evo be sufficient @ $40?  It has velour pads, detachable cable, and favorable reviews on this forum.  I'd see myself eventually upgrading again if I go cheaper, but I like having backup headphones for guests!

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 8
I've heard terrible things about the ACM over in the Sound Blaster Z thread. Apparently, it degrades audio quality significantly.

I say keep your X-Fi (unless it's an XtremeAudio, that's a fake) and just dedicate your budget to new headphones.

Speaking of headphones...as much as a typical Stax Lambda sounds like the obvious choice, they're well out of your budget, especially when factoring amplification. Also, the cables aren't detachable because 230V-580V electrostatic headphones and insecure connections probably shouldn't go together.

The Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 would be the obvious budget choice, but the cable isn't detachable.

I haven't personally tried any Superlux headphones.

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 8
  Thanks for the replies!   Couple more questions:

a)  For the Sound Blaster Z card that was linked...If I wanted an external volume knob, would the ZX version be the recommendation or would I be better off with a different model?
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Gaming-Control-SB1506/dp/B009XDWUCQ/ $115

b)  What would ya'll recommend under the $100 range for headphones?  Would Superlux HD681-Evo be sufficient @ $40?  It has velour pads, detachable cable, and favorable reviews on this forum.  I'd see myself eventually upgrading again if I go cheaper, but I like having backup headphones for guests!

If you want an external knob, then might be best to go with an external headphone amplifier.
Like the Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, $99. plug it into your current sound card.

The Superlux HD681 Evo should be a good value choice for you.
It could be plugged directly into your current sound card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back