Originally Posted by gpalmer
Ahhh well, 50% isn't bad right?

Who would have guessed...
blink.gif
... huh G ?

Jul 13, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by GWN
Lehmann Black Cube Linear ($780) and the Talisman T-35HP ($649).

GWN, how do these compare to your V2? The GS-1 is a slightly different beast but the comparison would be appreciated.

Jul 13, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
GWN, how do these compare to your V2? The GS-1 is a slightly different beast but the comparison would be appreciated.

The Talisman is on the warmer side of neutral. I does not have the low end extension of the V2 but on the other hand it doesn't have the sometimes steely feel that the V2 imparts on the highs. Warmest sounding SS amp I have heard almost tubelike in its presentation. Gorgeous midrange. Beautifully constructed, dual mono including dual power supplies.

The Black Cube linear is like a V2 on steroids. Lots of PRAT, very dynamic. The top end is more refined than the V2 offering better control in the low end and midrange area. The amp is very transparent and is amazing when it comes to instrument separation and soundstaging. Sounds great with the HD-650. Quietest amp I've run across. Does not impart the listener fatigue I get with the V2.

Jason might be able to provide a better comparison with the GS1 since he has heard all three amps.

Jul 13, 2005 at 11:56 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
I think that's more like $125 excluding shipping and tax as with the GS-1, but there are always used amps!
biggrin.gif

Actually, we are both right, but I am more right in that he lives in the same city as I do, and we both live in Canada, so I automatically converted to CAD
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by GWN
Jason might be able to provide a better comparison with the GS1 since he has heard all three amps.

GWN pretty well spelled it out. The Talisman is an incredible amp, very smooth, warm tube-like sound. It could be the warmest ss amp I have heard, though the Sugden is close, as is the GS-1. The T35HP gives up a little in the resolution department but never offends with strident or piercing highs. I find it an excellent match with Grados and
eek.gif
I even like the R10's with it!

The GS-1 is better than the V2, it offers what the V2 has to offer but in a more refined way. Smoother, a bit warmer than the V2, it loses out on neutrality to give a more natural presentation. Hirsch once wrote that neutrality in itself is a "colouration." I'm not entirely sure I agree with that but given the horrible way in which many albums are recorded, a bit of warmth can go a long way, particulary with popular rock and punk.

Resolution: GS-1 = V2 > T35HP
Macro Dynamics: GS-1 = V2 > T35HP
Micro Dynamics: V2>GS-1>T35HP
Tight Bass: V2> GS-1>T35HP
Bass Tone: GS-1=T35HP >V2
MidRange Detail: GS-1=V2 > T35HP
MidRange Bloom: GS-1=T35HP>V2
Treble Extension: GS-1 = V2 > T35HP
Sibilance control: T35HP>GS-1>V2
Smoothness: T35HP>GS-1>V2

Jul 14, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Actually, we are both right, but I am more right in that he lives in the same city as I do, and we both live in Canada, so I automatically converted to CAD
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL, damn Canucks!
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #22 of 26
sacd, are there any tube amps I should add to my short list? Prefer to keep it under 750 if possible. That way there will be money left over to Cardas my Beyer and have MoonAudio make me some Cardas Emu cables.

Then I can strut like its 1979
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 2:05 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
sacd, are there any tube amps I should add to my short list? Prefer to keep it under 750 if possible. That way there will be money left over to Cardas my Beyer and have MoonAudio make me some Cardas Emu cables.

Then I can strut like its 1979
wink.gif

- eddie current hd-25
- eddie current dm-1
- singlepower PPX3 (iirc)
- singlepower PPX3-6SN7 (iirc)
- mapletree audio EAR++ II HD (kit or assembled)
- wooaudio3 (...with enough left over for jamato8's upgrades - you can even request a 6SN7 version)

Jul 14, 2005 at 2:28 PM Post #25 of 26
FWIW I think we all know I really liked my PPX3 but I think I would have to give the edge to the GS-1 for sound, there was just something about it that really appealed to me. Maybe the tubes in my CD player would be the difference, the results might very well tip the other way if I had been using a straight ss player. The GS-1 is a more expensive amp though and as such should perform to a higher standard even with the added features.

Jul 14, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #26 of 26
I have cleaned up this thread. I would not like to see a repeat of what went on here. I despise locking threads because of this kind of garbage. Take it off site please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back