Comparisons of the Liquid Lightning and KGSSHV Solid State Stax Amplifiers
Sep 15, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #16 of 211
nice impressions MH. side question, where did you get your shelf, the one that your dac and gs-x is sitting on? im looking for something like that to put my setup but can't find a good one (only solution i found is buying a wood board + 4 legs from ikea -_-)

Sep 15, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #17 of 211
  nice impressions MH. side question, where did you get your shelf, the one that your dac and gs-x is sitting on? im looking for something like that to put my setup but can't find a good one (only solution i found is buying a wood board + 4 legs from ikea -_-)

Thanks! Got it at Lowes of all places. Only place I could find something that would work with my space.

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #18 of 211
Good write up MH, I’ve not heard the LL, so no comments from me, but it’s good to see a review without sitting on the fence with a clear preference. 

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #19 of 211
popcorn.gif

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #20 of 211
popcorn.gif
+1

Sep 16, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #21 of 211
Being now into SS amps exclusively (after being a long time tube-guy) I'm enjoying the "easy life" without buying/rolling tubes, having them go microphonic, warming the amp for a long time, etc...

I'd also prefer the "easy life", all else being equal. How long would you say is the KGSSHV warm up time - to sound it's best?
What is it's power consumption? The BHSE is around 200W, I don't know about the LL.

Some say that SS components take just as long, as tube components to warm up, or even longer. Certainly the tubes themselves will have a significant affect in the first stage warm up, but they are not the only factor. Many audiophiles leave their cool running SS components on all the time for this reason - not really practical with Class A amps though.  

Sep 16, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #22 of 211
But what about the headphones themselves, don't they require a period of time to be fully charged? I've often wondered if the amp itself was actually warmed up, but the headphones were still charging (never fully understood the whole headphone charging thing...)

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #24 of 211
Thanks for that. Nice straightforward comparo MH.
No fluff - didnt care to hear about Norah Jones for the 100th time.

So the deal is sealed.
I am not selling my beloved KGSSHV to help finance a LL2.
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #25 of 211
  Thanks for that. Nice straightforward comparo MH.
No fluff - didnt care to hear about Norah Jones for the 100th time.

So the deal is sealed.
I am not selling my beloved KGSSHV to help finance a LL2.
biggrin.gif

No worries. 
size]

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #26 of 211
i bet liquid gold is the same then. when i tried with lcd-3, sounded very colored and unnatural

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #27 of 211
I have an LL2 here, on loan. Given the comments about the bass I've been trying it with tracks that have deep bass and I wouldn't describe it as having "nothing going on under 80Hz" at all.

As for posting schematics, I'd say given someone is trying to make their livelihood from the amp, doing so would be extremely rude. Maybe discussing possible improvements with Alex would be better, if you and Kevin both have good intentions.

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #28 of 211
  I have an LL2 here, on loan. Given the comments about the bass I've been trying it with tracks that have deep bass and I wouldn't describe it as having "nothing going on under 80Hz" at all.

As for posting schematics, I'd say given someone is trying to make their livelihood from the amp, doing so would be extremely rude. Maybe discussing possible improvements with Alex would be better, if you and Kevin both have good intentions.

But 3 people in a row have said the same thing with the bass issue (would they all have bad intentions).

Some have suggested that MH try the LL2 if he was serious, could it be that the bass has been improved with the LL2?

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #29 of 211
could be that the LL2 borrowed a few ideas from the other stat amps...or simply, has been improved upon based on feedback and impressions.

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #30 of 211

The LL2 is a totally different beast in terms of sound. 

In any event, I wouldn't describe the LL as being bass lite or having "nothing going on under 80Hz." I agree with the slight smearing quality of the LL and also it's difficulty at reproducing the extremes (we are talking about subjective deep sub-bass and high air). One thing I felt the LL did better than the KGSSHV was in the microdynamics department. Although the KGSSHV has probably the best driver control of any stat amp I've heard, I felt it sounded rather flat and boring. Just a different point of view and YMMV depending upon personal preferences and sonic priorities.

In any event, discussion of the LL is only interesting from a historical perspective since the LL2 has superceded it.

Spritzer's public releasing of technical schematics and opining on areas where the amp could be improved would be in poor taste, considering his close association with Kevin Gilmore's "competing" designs which can be found in various DIY amps Spritzer and commercial amps Headamp have sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back