Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Jun 13, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #4,082 of 4,373
For a really affordable option  I recommend the little dragonfly black with cck.  SQ is really good  and  I put in in my pocket with my iPhone 6 and even work out with that at the gym. 

Jun 13, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #4,083 of 4,373
  Oppo PM-3 and HA-2 combo for $700 tops.

I cannot see how that can be beaten in terms of portability, sound quality.

Just can't.

:)

I had that exact combo, also searching for the magical combo of portability and sound quality.

I sent it all back, as I feel Audeze Sine + Cipher cable beats it. The fact that it's $200 cheaper and MORE portable is just icing on the cake.

Jun 13, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #4,084 of 4,373
no one compared the Sine to the Sony 7520?
I got my Sony in mint shape for a song...fab detailed as$ kicker
...i actually like the bass hump for good slam.
rock, blues and jazz are my mainstays.

would love to hear the sine and sony side by side:
both nice and light/portable.

with the DF red my sonys  7520s are driven soooooo easily.

Jun 13, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #4,086 of 4,373

Just can't.

Stick with what you like. After it is all said and done what every one here is offering is opinion. I based my opinion on much trial and error, but no one can debate what your ears hear.

Jun 13, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #4,087 of 4,373

Just can't.

Stick with what you like. After it is all said and done what every one here is offering is opinion. I based my opinion on much trial and error, but no one can debate what your ears hear.

^ Some very sage advice!

Jun 14, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #4,088 of 4,373
Audeze needs to make a over ear version of the sine, replace the ear cups with something over ear and you have a serious beast, it's punchy sound signature is great with the Cypher cable...just have to wait and see what audeze has in the future.

Jun 14, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #4,089 of 4,373
I haven't had my hands on most of these products since they aren't available here in India, though I have played with the common ones like Bose, Beats, SkullC and so on.

Recently when I bought my macbook air, I was lucky enough to pounce my hands on Bowers and Wilkins P7 available on display in the Maple store.

Connected it to the ipod that was sitting next to it and man it has some amazing sound response that I urged for.

Seriously it was one hell of a creation for listening to rock as well as all kind of music particularly,

Though there were no Beats headphones as to my surprise. But however I was lucky enough to get my hands on B&W which I hadn't got to see anywhere in India.

[Mod edit - removed link to external site]

Jun 14, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #4,090 of 4,373
Audeze needs to make a over ear version of the sine, replace the ear cups with something over ear and you have a serious beast, it's punchy sound signature is great with the Cypher cable...just have to wait and see what audeze has in the future.

They do...the EL-8.  :wink:

FWIW, the SINE are very comfortable as-is and the smaller on-ear form factor is great for portability.

Jun 15, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #4,091 of 4,373
  They do...the EL-8.  :wink:

The SINE are many times better sounding (and feeling, and looking) than the EL-8. I'd rather they scale up the SINE to make an over ear (like the B&W P7 vs. P5), rather than keep developing the EL-8. 

Jun 15, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #4,092 of 4,373

The SINE are many times better sounding (and feeling, and looking) than the EL-8. I'd rather they scale up the SINE to make an over ear (like the B&W P7 vs. P5), rather than keep developing the EL-8. 

Are you comparing the Sine to the older EL-8's or the revoiced EL-8's which they are selling this year?  (I think the change was made in November 2015, but many people are calling them the 2016 EL-8 for simplicity...)

Jun 15, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #4,093 of 4,373
That's a good point. I have only heard the originals. Regardless, the Sine is better looking. :)

Jun 15, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #4,094 of 4,373
  That's a good point. I have only heard the originals. Regardless, the Sine is better looking. :)

Definitely agree there... only briefly once heard the EL-8, the open ones, at a Best Buy, but not sure if they were older variant or the newer, re-voiced one, and it was literally about 60 seconds of audio so I didn't get a sense of it.

What I read about the closed ones, the original ones at least, wasn't very good, but I'm curious about the newest closed EL-8's.

I've seen nearly universe praise for the sound on Sine, so I suspect it will find its way into my headphone stock at some point... but having recently picked up PM-3's, I have to exercise a modicum of restraint.... 
beyersmile.png

Jun 15, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #4,095 of 4,373

I prefer the SINE, but as mentioned, the new EL-8s might push them. I haven't heard them (new EL-8s) yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back