Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Jan 17, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #3,781 of 4,373
Ether C is not portable.  I would imagine the Audeze Sine will end up pretty high on this list may take #1 from PM3.

Lol there is a video of a guy DJing house music at a club wearin Ether Cs. Portability shouldn't be that much of an issue considering they feel very light weight with the suspension headband and less than 500g I believe. I've never seen someone DJ at a night club with Audeze LCD XCs. They would have neck pains long before the night is over.

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #3,782 of 4,373
  Really I owned Alpha Dogs and sold them they were way to big.  I rarely picked them up.  I tend to use me Momentum on-ear and over-ear the most.

I had Alpha Dogs and Ether C is much smaller and wayyyyyy lighter..........isolation is great, The lady sitting next to me on my last flight wanted to buy Ether C because they hardly leaked at all......that is, until I told her how much they cost. 

Jan 19, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #3,783 of 4,373

I did my own comparison of ~$400 closed back "portable" over ears a few months ago and posted my thoughts in a thread.  This thread has my thoughts.  The link is to a single summary post, where I say if you don't compare them back to back, I doubt you'd be disappointed with the M2, PM-3, B&W P7, Denon MM400 or Sony 1ABT.  There are a lot of great choices in the price range.  If cost is a concern, the M2's are a great value.  I still plan to try out the Wireless M2 at some point.  They were in their "redesign" phase when I did my comparisons.

Haven't listened to M2, but out of those I've listened, I rank them as follow:

1. PM-3
2. B&O H6
3. M1
4. Sony 1A
5. PM-3 (it should be ranked 3~4, but due to comfort is terrible for this can, I've to drop them to last...)

Jan 19, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #3,784 of 4,373
My new fave closed portable is the B&W P7.....it edges my previous fave the pm3 due to extended frequency range both ways, and a more impactful bass. The pm3 are more neutral....and a tad more precise.

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #3,785 of 4,373
Woops.... I bought the Blue Lola on impulse, only a few hours after posting. I can't wait. I've been told by two reliable sources that these sound better than my ol NADs, which are my favorite closed back. I was excited for the Sony, but the price wasn't right and I'm in the market now.

Too many good options on the market... guh this hobby is tough.

Any good advice on the blue headphone? Being given a choice of mint condition blue mo-fi for 238usd and a BNIB white Color Oppo pm3 for 285usd. I have no idea what to get. Given my music choice of mostly for rnb, Hip hop n rock.. I Guess I more of a bass person.

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #3,786 of 4,373
Btw I was initially looking for a portable headphone for my daily commute n gym.... As I already got a Astro a50 for my home usages.... It's just the great prices on these headphone got me tempted

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #3,787 of 4,373
Btw I was initially looking for a portable headphone for my daily commute n gym.... As I already got a Astro a50 for my home usages.... It's just the great prices on these headphone got me tempted

Although they both sound great, I'm not sure I personally could wear either the mofi or the pm3 to the gym (well, maybe the pm3). But that's just me. Those great prices would tempt me also though!

So far the only headphone I've been able to happily use at the gym are the vmoda m100's (sound great, look great imo, comfy, and isolate fairly well). But as usual, ymmv!

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #3,789 of 4,373
Guys, I've got a few headphones to add...one sooner (Puro Sound Labs BT5200s...once published on Headphone.Guru) and the new B&O H8s (later...just got them in today). 

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #3,791 of 4,373
For all genre, slightly bass orientated purposes, momentum 2.0 over ears, Beyerdynamic t51 or Sony MDR-1A?

My choice would be in this order...2.0,t51,1A

Jan 26, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #3,792 of 4,373
For all genre, slightly bass orientated purposes, momentum 2.0 over ears, Beyerdynamic t51 or Sony MDR-1A?

Not sure about sm2.0, but for the rest, my choice will be:

B&O H6 > T51 > Sony MDR-1A

if you really massive bass and dont' care about anything else then the S
ony MDR-XB950BT ....​

Jan 26, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #3,794 of 4,373

..look forward to your thoughts...

The review for the BT5200 is in and should be published shortly. Once it's out, I'll add it to my listing ASAP! The H8 may take some more time. I thought I was getting a review loaner, but it got pushed out.

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #3,795 of 4,373

The two people above have incorrectly advised you. It is no use simply ordering them. You ask for slightly bass orientated purpose, so the choice is between the T51 and MDR-1A. The T51 sits on your ears and the 1A is fully circumferential - there's your choice.

The Momentum 2.0 doesn't do bass thrills, its just a very warm but honest signature. The consumer choice would be the MDR-1A if you did a comparison in person - its bass and highs are more pronounced, it is tastefully coloured to be the better music entertainment headphone. Does that help you decide?

Regardless of that, try actually find a pair to listen too, before you buy, and remember to shop for yourself, not what others have given the neutrality prize according to their own taste in sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back