Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Feb 7, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #1,517 of 4,373
I am selling my HD600 setup due to not using it as much since getting new speakers for my living room. I was going to use the money to buy new closed cans (portable) and am very interested in the B&W P7 due to their design. However, I already own the ATH-M50s. Can anyone comment on if they think the upgrade from the M50 to the P7 is significant and worth it from a sound quality perspective? The designs are not even close and I prefer the P7 (saw in best buy) but did not bring my M50s to compare. I also question whether the best buy setup is really revealing about how the headphones will sound outside the store and their own demo/plug-in station.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!!

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #1,519 of 4,373
If MH had a nickel for every question he got asked in this thread, well.... he'd have a lot of nickels by now 
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #1,520 of 4,373
^ Lol!

Feb 7, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #1,522 of 4,373
Feb 7, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #1,523 of 4,373
Well after many many decisions I've narrowed it down to the B&W P7 and the B&O H6... anybody got any suggestions? Are the P7's really that uncomfortable? I found the Momentums difficult so comfort (and portability and sound of course) are pretty important to me. Also I go ampless from an iPhone 5S.

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #1,524 of 4,373
  Well after many many decisions I've narrowed it down to the B&W P7 and the B&O H6... anybody got any suggestions? Are the P7's really that uncomfortable? I found the Momentums difficult so comfort (and portability and sound of course) are pretty important to me. Also I go ampless from an iPhone 5S.

Comfort might be an issue with the P7s I found the clamping too much for me.

I used the H6 for some short time and they are not very sensitive headphones. You will struggle to get a good enough sound and volume from an iPhone. Mind you I don't an iPod but my Cowon J3 has had enough juice for every headphone that MH tried. This was the only one I had to go to sound level 40 (max) and it even distorted at that level. Just my $0.02

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #1,525 of 4,373

I found the H6s much more comfortable than the P7s. The H6s are also more portable than the P7s due to being lighter/smaller, though you will need to buy a case for them as MH mentioned. Sound-wise, I need to spend more time with the H6s, but both performed well with the music I tried them with; the P7s being darker/fuller (not overly so). Didn't try them with an iPhone, but both were easily driven by the 'latest' iPod Classic; that is, to a reasonable enough volume, to get the most out them perhaps they could be amped (though these are marketed at the Apple crowd).

I think both are great choices 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #1,526 of 4,373
  So the HP50 has been on my ears for about 20 minutes now. With no burn in (and I'm a staunch believer in burn in), hmmm, I must say these sound pretty darn nice. I think MH stated (forgive me if I'm wrong ) that it's not too cool or warm, but leans on the warm side. Whoever made that statement, I find it to be true with the HP50. Bass is not prominent (it's more balanced in the mix), but there is definitely plenty of it, and it goes low. This was one of my major concerns. Yeah, the outer red shell is plastic, but that doesn't bother me. I think it's a very well-made headphone and appealing to the eye. And it's quite comfortable to me with my eyeglasses on. And love that it allows you to plug int he cable from either side of the earphone. 

The mids and highs are fantastic to my ears (and I'm not a great lover of highs, but these are fine). While I hear some similarities, I don't think these sound exactly like the M500, but I'll do some A/Bing when I get home. I can say that the HP50 is - without burn in - just as good as the M500 and On1, and I expect it to get a lot better. It may also be the most comfortable to out of the three to my ears (On1 a close second). On1 has more bass than both, but it's not overdone. I think if the P7 is close to the HP50's sound (just with more bass), I don't need it. and this hasn't made me want to sell the M500 yet. We'll see. But I'm quite please at the moment. I think these are keepers. 

Excellent. Looks like we hear all three headphones very closely (HP50, P7 and M500). I might add that I found the P7s had more treble energy as well (thus a bit...and I mean a bit..."U" shaped in comparison to the flatter HP50s). Looking forward to more impressions.

If MH had a nickel for every question he got asked in this thread, well.... he'd have a lot of nickels by now 
wink.gif

I'd have enough to buy more of these headphones to try out...but not enough for a second pair of SR-009s. 
tongue.gif

I found the H6s much more comfortable than the P7s. The H6s are also more portable than the P7s due to being lighter/smaller, though you will need to buy a case for them as MH mentioned. Sound-wise, I need to spend more time with the H6s, but both performed well with the music I tried them with; the P7s being darker/fuller (not overly so). Didn't try them with an iPhone, but both were easily driven by the 'latest' iPod Classic; that is, to a reasonable enough volume, to get the most out them perhaps they could be amped (though these are marketed at the Apple crowd).

I think both are great choices 
smily_headphones1.gif

Comfort wise, I like the P7s (even on my large melon), but yes the H6s are so very light and comfortable.

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #1,527 of 4,373
Okay, just finished A/Bing the HP50 and M500, and I have to admit that I think MH is spot on with his ranking in sound quality. The only think the M500 clearly outshines the HP50 in is treble. But I could basically care less about treble in the grand scheme of things (as long as it's adding to the clarity and transparency of the headphone). And that outshining isn't by leaps and bounds. And acually think the HP50 has more bass than the M500, it's just the soundstage is much wider than the KEF, and the bass, mids, and treble are tuned to be more neutral. Yet the bass reaches down when it needs too. Now, the M500 still holds its own against the Viso, but it presents a more intimate or smaller club sound than the HP50. Again, I'm not a treble fan, but the treble in the M500 is pretty amazing without being harsh. Right now I would say there's a tie in my enjoyment between the HP50 and On1 (haven't A/Bed these two yet but I know), and the M500 lagging just somewhat behind. So is the HP50 a lot better M500? Not really. They have some similarities, but enough differences in the sound signatures to stand apart on their own. If I could only have one, however, I think I would have to agree with MH and go with the HP50. I still enjoyed the KEF, however, quite a bit when I had them on my ears.But yes, the HP50 is the better performer.

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #1,528 of 4,373
Oh, I was listening to lossless Miles Davis through my Fiio E10/E9 combo.

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #1,529 of 4,373
  Okay, just finished A/Bing the HP50 and M500, and I have to admit that I think MH is spot on with his ranking in sound quality. The only think the M500 clearly outshines the HP50 in is treble. But I could basically care less about treble in the grand scheme of things (as long as it's adding to the clarity and transparency of the headphone). And that outshining isn't by leaps and bounds. And acually think the HP50 has more bass than the M500, it's just the soundstage is much wider than the KEF, and the bass, mids, and treble are tuned to be more neutral. Yet the bass reaches down when it needs too. Now, the M500 still holds its own against the Viso, but it presents a more intimate or smaller club sound than the HP50. Again, I'm not a treble fan, but the treble in the M500 is pretty amazing without being harsh. Right now I would say there's a tie in my enjoyment between the HP50 and On1 (haven't A/Bed these two yet but I know), and the M500 lagging just somewhat behind. So is the HP50 a lot better M500? Not really. They have some similarities, but enough differences in the sound signatures to stand apart on their own. If I could only have one, however, I think I would have to agree with MH and go with the HP50. I still enjoyed the KEF, however, quite a bit when I had them on my ears.But yes, the HP50 is the better performer.

Nice impressions. I really liked the M500s and if they only isolated better (which they were fairly poor at), I'd still have them here.

So now it appears I've got three new headphones to add: AKG K545s (thanks to dweaver for the loan) and Martin Logan Mikros (thanks to Beagle!!) and the Monster DNA on-ears (thanks to Monster for being part of the customer focus group). The Monsters are here now and boy, they are really good. I'm happy to say that with these and the DNA Pro (over-ears), Monster really does get that it's much more than just the styling and bass slam of the Monster Beats from before.

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #1,530 of 4,373
  Nice impressions. I really liked the M500s and if they only isolated better (which they were fairly poor at), I'd still have them here.

So now it appears I've got three new headphones to add: AKG K545s (thanks to dweaver for the loan) and Martin Logan Mikros (thanks to Beagle!!) and the Monster DNA on-ears (thanks to Monster for being part of the customer focus group). The Monsters are here now and boy, they are really good. I'm happy to say that with these and the DNA Pro (over-ears), Monster really does get that it's much more than just the styling and bass slam of the Monster Beats from before.

I also had the Monster N-Pulse and I have to tell you, they have been one of the best $100 I have spent in headphones purchases (they usually sell even cheaper on eBay... note that 'm talking about the N-Pulse and not the N-Tune :wink:). Monster seem to be doing excellent products lately. I actually bought the DNA Pro over-ears to try them out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back