COMPARISON: The AKG K7XX versus the Grado PS500
May 10, 2015 at 10:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DarthFader

100+ Head-Fier
In late 2014, Massdrop announced that it was releasing a limited-edition, collaboration headphone with AKG called the K7XX. In the months that have followed, people have gotten their hands on the K7XX and it’s been talked about a lot. Well here we are, around 6 months later and reviews have been posted. Plenty of comparisons have been done too but most of them are comparisons against other AKG headphones or against Sennheisers or HiFiMan. You get the picture.

So far, I haven’t seen a careful comparison between the AKG K7XX and any Grado headphones. I set out to remedy that one recent evening. With my trusty pair of Grado PS500s, a pair AKG K7XXs, and a digital copy of David Chesky’s Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc, I set about to see what the differences were and what I preferred. 

Quick Background Points
The Music Used
Some initial notes before we get started. I decided to use The Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc produced by Chesky Records and available on HD Tracks because, after all, it’s designed to show just how capable headphones are. But also, because a lot of us on Head-Fi have this album and so I figure there’s a decent chance that if you’re reading this you can go have a listen yourself to the exact same files I have and make your own judgments. I’m only going through the songs (the first 13 tracks), not the test tracks that follow.

But…

An important caveat is in order. Plenty of us purchase headphones because we want to listen to our favorite genres such as Pop, Hip-Hop/Rap, Classic Rock, Modern Rock, Heavy Metal, Classical, or Country. And the Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc has NONE of those genres. I consider this to be a source of weakness and a limitation on the tool. The reason I use the album is because it serves as a sort of control condition (a lot of us have digital copies of the exact same files). My copy of Led Zeppelin IV might be a different remaster or a different file quality than yours. My copy of Mahler’s 6th might be recorded by a different symphony. I, of course, have listened to both headphones with most of the genres I list above and will rely on my broader experiences in the conclusion section.

The DAC/Amp
I’m using the Schiit Modi 2 Uber for my DAC. It’s getting its signal via USB from a MacBook Pro outputting bit-perfect 24/192. For my headphone amp, I’m using the Schiit Magni 2 Uber in low gain mode. Again, I figure a lot of folks at least have some experience with this ubiquitous, great little combo. In fact, a lot of us probably own the stack so it seems like a pretty good reference point.

The Headphones
I’m using a pair of Grado PS500s with stock cable. They retail at around $600 but you can find them for less if you hunt around. They are designed to be the little brother (or maybe little cousin) to the Grado PS1000, which is a significantly more expensive headphone. The PS500 is often compared against the Grado RS1 and people who seem to like the “Grado” sound often prefer the RS1. The PS500s sound signature is less mid-forward and bright than its siblings. My pair has approximately 300-400 hours of use on them. I use two sets of ear cushions in this test: the stock L Cush pads that come with the headphones as well as a set of larger G Cush pads that usually come with the more expensive GS1000 and PS1000. 

I’m also using, of course, the AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition. The K7XX retails for $200 but is limited edition. I believe only 6,000 units have been made but I may be wrong. This particular set has around 100 hours on them. And, like the Grados, I’m running a stock cable. 

The Method
Join me as I document my thoughts while listening to each headphone for each music track (the first 13) of the album. It will be stream-of-consciousness. There may be laughs. There may be tears. For each track, I’ll pick which headphone I got more pleasure listening to. It’s purely subjective—though I do try to explain my reasoning. No sophisticated volume matching or careful, objective measurements. I’m going solely on how each makes me feel on any given track.

The Conclusions
So here’s the deal. Plenty of us are busy, impatient, want instant gratification, etc.. In recognition of that, I’ll put my conclusions here and my detailed notes on each track below. If you want to see my justifications then you can. If not, you need scroll no further! 

The Value, The Build Quality
First of all, for $200, the AKG K7XX has no business sounding as good as it does. It’s just that simple. From what I’ve read, it’s basically a Chinese-made version of the much more expensive K702 65th Anniversary and that wouldn’t surprise me in the least. This headphone can seriously hold its own against the likes of headphones with much higher MSRPs. It’s also amazingly comfortable. The K7XX is easily the most comfortable headphone I own. It is lightweight and the pads are plush. Putting on the K7XX is like sinking into an old leather sofa. Admittedly, it has a plastic build that feels cheap. The tolerances could be tighter. The cable feels thin and seems like it could break at any time. But all in all, it’s an impressive headphone.

The Sound Profile of the K7XX
So how does it sound? And how does it measure up to the Grado PS500? It sounds great! I’d say its strong points are a fairly neutral presentation, excellent sound stage, and remarkably good low bass. If I had to pinpoint it, I’d say the K7XX is a better version of a Sennheiser HD 600/650. It’s similarly laid back, nothing is too forward, no harsh treble, everything is polite and well-behaved. But I think it manages to do better at everything an HD 600 or 650 does well. 

How It Matches Up to the Grado PS500
Versus the Grado PS500? The Grado PS500 is obviously more expensive but not astronomically so. Is it worth the extra dough? Depending on what you are using it for, I’d say yes. Some people complain about the build quality of Grados but I don’t find any issues here. The drivers are housed in wood and metal. The headband uses real leather. The cord is as thick as… well. Let’s just say it’s thick and feels sturdy. The stock PS500 comes with fairly small ear pads that just barely surround the ear; it’s probably most accurate to call this headphone an “on ear” but I can see arguments for “over-the-ear” as well. During extended listening sessions, it can get a little uncomfortable. 

Getting to the sound, in my opinion, a stock Grado PS500 beat the K7XX on tracks rich in strings (e.g. violins, guitars) and on tracks rich in brass (such as trumpets and trombones). The K7XX did at least as well if not better on most percussion-heavy music. And there’s no doubt the K7XX wins out for pieces that are mixed to have a large soundstage. The PS500 excels at intimate and may not be to everyone’s taste but I think it tends to be more faithful to how un-amplified instruments (such as violins, pianos, trumpets, saxophones) actually sound in real life.

However, there’s an easy, nearly free, entirely-reversible modification that I recommend every Grado PS500 owner do: put different ear pads on it. Grado sells replacement “G Cush” pads made for its larger headphones and these pads fit perfectly on the PS500 too. Adding these effectively converts the PS500 form an on-ear to over-the-ear headphone and increases the soundstage and bass presence. In my opinion, this mod is a no-brainer. When comparing the K7XX to the Grado PS500 sporting G Cush pads, I typically preferred the Grado. It gave me close to the same soundstage of the K7XX but maintained that intimate feel and usually outperformed the K7XX in terms of faithfully reproducing how un-amplified instruments actually sound. 

Overall Recommendations/Opinions/Conclusions
The K7XX punches well above its weight. I think it probably excels for those who want to listen to a lot of mainstream recordings because it is laid back and has pretty good bass. I also think it would be a great pairing for Hip-Hop and R&B because of its performance in the sub-bass department. You might also like it because it’s crazy-comfortable. All in all, it’s a little flimsy and cheap feeling but, at $200, it’s a steal. 

Where the Grado PS500 wins is with Jazz, Rock, and Classical. Well, really anything acoustic. To my ear, the Grado does a better job of reproducing what instruments actually sound like in real life. It also has really engaging mids, where much of the action happens in these genres. One note of caution is that the PS500 tends to be pretty ruthless in revealing badly recorded material so I don’t know if I’d recommend it for Top 40/Pop. Some people might ask me which I’d recommend for “EDM” / Trance / Techno. I have no idea because I can’t stand that stuff.

At the end of the day, if you’re a person who would prefer a Sennhesier HD 650 over a Grado then you’ll be happier with the K7XX. If you’re someone who likes the Grado sound, needs a reference tool for audio editing, or just isn’t a fan of “laid back” headphones then I’d still give the edge to the PS500. I originally bought my PS500s for mixing and mastering purposes and I think they do a better job at helping me “zoom in” to the music I’m working with during a session. The K7XXs are pretty good but I wouldn’t recommend them over the PS500s as a reference headphone—especially when you throw on the G Cush pads.

The Takeaway
For my ears, the Grado PS500 delivers more than the AKG K7XX. It also has a better build quality and is easier to modify if you want to do that. However, the Grado is not heads and shoulders better as you might expect given the price difference. Frankly, the K7XX is so good and such a great bargain that you should scoop one up if you get the chance. 

——————————Now, without further ado, my track-by-track comparisons——————————

The Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc

Track 1. When the Saints Go Marching In
Grado PS500:
Trombone and trumpet sound great. Nice attack. Tuba is mellow but pretty tight. Bass drum is there but nothing visceral. The treble isn’t that bright. The cymbals are sitting politely in the mix. Not feeling much sub-bass. Quality of all the instruments is outstanding. 

AKG K7XX:
Everything sounds farther away. The sax and the trombone seem a little more polite/smooth? Am I listening to a Sennheiser HD 650? Nope. Still the K7XX. The plucked strings don’t have quite the life they did on on the Grados (L Cush). Man, the tuba really shines and the drums sound better to me with the K7XXs. Overall thoughts: I feel like I’m farther away in the audience but overall sound is very similar. A little softer in the treble

[WINNER] Grado PS500 with G Cush: 
The cymbals stand out to me a little bit more but they still seem polite. The soundstage of the K7XX but still with that really crisp to the trombone, tuba, and muted trumpet. Everything is a little less in your face using the pads and the bass is improved. Still a little bit of a smaller soundstage than the K7XX actually? It’s close. This G Cush is giving me the attributes I like of both headphones. Listening to this track makes me want to go to New Orleans.

Track 2. Don’t You
[WINNER] Grado PS500:
Oh those cellos. Oh those guitars. Man they sound great on these. Soundstage is noticeably intimate. Surprisingly good bass. The reverb on the cellos and violins is really sweet and the drums are producing pretty good punch for an open-backed headphone. The strings are really the star. I could have almost forgotten Amber Rubarth was singing. Also, who is Amber Rubarth?

AKG K7XX:
The plucked strings on the violin and guitar are really standing out to me with the K7XXs. Instruments have better separation too. Also Amber Rubarth is singing “ooooooh pooh oohh” over and over again. Please make her stop. Also, still want to know who she is. Not finding the strings on the cello or violin quite as engaging. The drums are pleasing me about the same.

Grado PS500 with G Cush:
Strings still sound great same with the guitars. Still hate this Amber Rubarth person. The bass seems a little better with these pads but the soundstage still feels smaller than the K7XX. 

Track 3. This Little Light of Mine
Grado PS500:
Grado really gets vocals right. The male choir members especially stand out to me on this one. I feel like I’m back at church. The claps are a little loud/irritating (treble needs to calm itself down here). Other than those claps, I could easily get lost in this piece.

AKG K7XX:
Once again, soundstage is better. The reverb sounds fantastic. Thank you Dr. Chesky for recording this in a naturally reverberant space rather than applying the effect during mixing. I don’t feel like the voices excel as much here but they still sound great. That clapping still is a little too harsh. HD 650s these are not. 

The vocals sound great, just as with the L cush pads. Soundstage is close to the K7XX but still more intimate. I feel like I get a little more separation of the individual singers. The baritones sound a little richer to me too. That clapping is still annoying. Despite the clapping, I think these are the winner as far as my tastes go.

Track 4. Three For All
Grado PS500:
Very up close and intimate. Not a great sense of space. I feel like I’m sitting next to the guitarists. Man these strings sound sweet. I can hear every detailed little pluck of the strings. There’s a little bit of noise on this recording that’s bothering me. Pretty low in level but it’s there. Love how I can hear the guitarists humming to themselves at certain points during the performance. Man, did one of those guitarists just walk right up to my left ear and start strumming? Back up, son. I don’t know you like that.

AKG K7XX:
Not as good. It’s too soft and out of focus. Better response in the lower mids and the upper bass. I can really feel the guitars on those lower notes. But overall, it doesn’t compute. The guitars sound close but the details of the picking and strumming sound muted and blurry and that takes  me out of the song. Still love hearing the musicians humming to themselves as they strum away. Surround-sound guitars!  

Still very close and intimate. I don’t know that I detect much of a difference in terms of soundstage between these with the G Cush pad versus regular L Cush pad. The sound is a little more enveloping and I sort of get that “Surround-sound guitars!” feeling I had with the K7XX. I do feel like I get a little bit better bass on the lower notes with these pads. This configuration wins for being the least offensive of the three.

Track 5. Las Perlas de tu Boca
Grado PS500:
Here’s another track with audible noise (i.e. soft hiss like white noise). The bass again really is commendable given these headphones’ open, on ear nature. The congas are superb sounding. I’ve found the PS 500s really shine in the upper bass and this song is reaffirming that for me.This song is, sound-wise, a real treat! If only they could have eliminated that noise during recording and mixing. At times, the singer’s voice can be a little too loud/forward and annoys me. Mostly, this song just sounds great. Oh those conga drums. 

[WINNER] AKG K7XX:
The bass on these wins. It just wins. The singer sounds a little too far back in the mix. The maracas are standing out to me more with the K7XXs for some reason. Must be the better instrument separation? I loved the congas on the Grados; I’m loving the bass on the K7XXs. It’s big but controlled. It envelopes you. These ain’t your dad’s K701s. Man I could get lost in this song with these headphones. What a treat! That low noise is still audible with these but not bothering me as much

Grado PS500 with G Cush:
The bass I’m getting on the Grados with these pads is much better and pretty close to the K7XX. The singer is much more forward in the mix than on the K7XX. The congas are still fine but actually impressed me more with the L Cush pads. For me, it’s really close but I think the K7XX takes this round.

Track 6. Ben’s Farm in Vermont
Grado PS500:
These guys can have decent soundstage after all! Everything sounds great but nothing is jaw-dropping.

AKG K7XX:
These sound every bit as good as the Grados (L Cush) on this track. Maybe better?

A shinier, sparklier version of the K7XX. Nice soundstage that reminds me of the AKGs but brighter. My favorite by a small margin.

Track 7. Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring
Grado PS500:
That plucked double bass sounds incredible. The bass is there. And I’m reminded that these headphones depart from the typical Grado “house” sound. I think the piano might steal the show in terms of fidelity. It just sounds fantastic…and I’ve spent a lot of time at the keys myself so I feel confident making judgments about the fidelity of reproduction on this particular instrument. My only gripe is that the double bass is too forward in the mix even when the piano is supposed to be shining. The brushed drumset is politely there in the background doing its thing. You know, the folks at Chesky Records really did some great work with this project.

AKG K7XX:
I can hear the fingers sliding up and down the double bass. The piano isn’t as good on these. It’s too garbled. On the bright side (?), the double bass isn’t as forward on these cans so the piano is standing out to me. On the low notes, these cans really shine. The K7XXs can deliver in a way the PS500s can’t when it comes to sub-bass.

The double bass is immensely satisfying on these. It’s better than with the L Cush pads. The piano sounds fantastic still. A glorious-sounding track with these pads on these cans. The clear winner.

Track 8. Whippoorwill
Grado PS500:
A lot of audible hiss on this track. I can hear everything that saxophonist is doing. Each breath. The vibration of the reed. The gently strum guitar in the left channel is a nice little compliment. Alexis Cole’s voice annoys me but I’ll power through it. I wish I could mute the vox and just listen to the rest of the mix because man this is some great sounding music. The PS500s are doing a pretty good job with soundstage. These cans are so good at faithfully reproducing instruments.

[WINNER] AKG K7XX:
I feel like the room just got five times bigger. Man that low hiss is driving me nuts. Less intimate with the K7XXs but still I can easily get lost in this track. Well, except when Alexis Cole is singing. Then I just try to think happy thoughts and remind myself she’ll stop soon. Thankfully, her vocals don’t sit as far forward in the mix with these cans.

Grado PS500 with G Cush:
The hiss is definitely more noticeable on the Grado than the K7XX. That saxophone sounds really good. Interestingly, Alexis Cole’s vocals stand out less to me with the G Cush pads. I still wish she’d shut up; she’s ruining a perfectly good song. Not quite as much deep bass as the K7XX was delivering. The song shimmers a little more with the Grado now than K7XX but is still more laid back than with the stock L Cush pads.

Track 9. Ceremony:Evening
Grado PS500:
Not much impact felt on the big drums. The congas sound really good though. The fidelity of all these percussion instruments is very good. The bass guitar holds its own. Someone’s really going to town on that cowbell. Now I’m thinking of the SNL skit. Meh. I don’t feel like the Grados shine on this track.

AKG K7XX:
Actually, not feeling much impact on the big drums here either. Grado wins on the congas. The bass guitar feels a little bit more disciplined on these cans. The soundstage is better of course but I’m still not really being pulled into this track. The ending is strong.

The wood block has really jumped out with the G Cush pads for some reason. It was noticeable before but now it’s in my face. Drums sound very true to life. The congas aren’t grabbing me quite as much with these pads. The bass guitar dominates! Hello again, cowbell. The soundstage isn’t quite as good as the K7XXs and I think that’s making things get a little more muddled than I’d like. Some decent slam in the drums with these pads. The G-Cush win it by a very small margin. Nearly a tie.

Track 10. Transcendental Tripping
[WINNER] Grado PS500:
That double bass is right up in your face. I can every last minute detail of the player as the strings are plucked. Oh many that muted trumpet sounds glorious. I literally feel like the double bass player is set up inside of my head. This track sounds great though the music itself is making me a little edgy. Not the song to play when you to relax. It’s like an April Fool’s version of elevator music.

AKG K7XX:
Double bassist is still playing in my head. The muted trumpet doesn’t sound quite as convincing to me on these headphones. Piano is just not these headphones’ strong suit. The Saxophone sounds pretty good though. These headphones are smooth and again are reminding me of the HD 650s.

Grado PS500 with G Cush: 
The double bass is as prominent here as with the regular L Cush pads. The strumming and plucking is not quite as prominent though. I don’t know that the G Cush pads are making as much of a difference on this track as on others. The piano shines better on this track but the bass and muted trumpet are a little more reserved.

Track 11. Wa Wa Wa
[WINNER] Grado PS500:
The trumpets, the congas, the bongos, the saxophone. It all sounds fantastic! The percussion really shines on these cans with this track. Easily lost in the music. Great instrument separation too. The Cubans know how to do music right. And these headphones do a beautiful job with this piece of music. 

AKG K7XX:
Noticeably bigger soundstage with these. I’m not getting lost in this piece the way I was on the Grados. The drums sound great on these too, though. Clear win for the Grados on this track.

Grado PS500 with G Cush:
Very similar soundstage to the K7XX. I feel the larger space but the instruments still sound closer to me. Like I walked up a littler closer to the stage but I’m in the same hall. The drums sound really great! Still, I think it’s hard to beat the stock L Cush pads this time around. Something about that more intimate feel really works well with this track.  

Track 12. War
Grado PS500:
The sound stage feels squished to me. Reverb quality tells me I should be in a big room but all the instruments sound close. For some reason, the drums sound better on this track than they did through the PS500s on track 9. The kick drum could have more punch though.

[WINNER] AKG K7XX:
Sounding good. Spacious. Good bass presence with the kick drum. I think the K7XX wins this one. Yep, this track sounds fantastic on the K7XX.

Grado PS500 with G Cush:
This gets close to the K7XX but I get more enjoyment from listening to this track with the AKGs. I don’t have that squished soundstage that I did with the stock pads but I still feel like the slam of the drums hits harder with the K7XX. The snare really stands out as enjoyable on this track with these pads.

Track 13. Rock and Roll
Grado PS500:
It took us 12 tracks to get here but we’re finally at rock song. The genre that Grados theoretically excel in. Let’s see if that’s the case. Man, how far away is that guitar anyway? The singer is front and center in this mix.What’s the fun of an overly distorted, chunky sounding guitar if it’s a million miles back in the mix? Song sounds good. The mixing choices are distracting me; I need to get back to fidelity. All in all, this song doesn’t sound as “intimate” on the PS500s as other tracks have. Not really drawn into it though. I can hear the guitar amp humming in the background at a quiet part of the track.

AKG K7XX:
The better bass of the K7XX brings something to the table on this track. This rendition of the song is underwhelming to me. Really don’t like the way they mixed the guitar. In terms of fidelity, I think its close but probably I’d go with the K7XX. The better bass adds something to the overall package.  

The guitar sounds better here. It’s still far way but its distortion sounds just about right. The singer feels more distance to me. The K7XX still wins with the drums though. All in all, the better sound of the guitars makes the Grado with G Cush pads the winner here. Still not my favorite track but it gets me the most satisfaction with this combo

May 10, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 12
Nice review!

The AKG 7** family are polite Grados.  10th row center for AKG's while the Grados are in front or even on stage.  In some instances, bass is better on the AKG's and detail is more consistent.  On the other hand, there is no headphone in the world that can render guitar strings like a Grado.  Midrange and high-end detail is great and with the PS500 you get outstandingly deep bass - much more so than any other Grado I've found.

May 10, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #3 of 12
Fantastic review! You are spot on IMO in your comparison. While the K7XX is a great headphone, very comparable to the HD650 I used to have. The K7XX has a little "credit card" sound, J. Gordon Holt used that to describe early Maggies sound of playing through a layer of plastic, slightly muting/muffling the sound.

May 11, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #4 of 12
Fantastic review! You are spot on IMO in your comparison. While the K7XX is a great headphone, very comparable to the HD650 I used to have. The K7XX has a little "credit card" sound, J. Gordon Holt used that to describe early Maggies sound of playing through a layer of plastic, slightly muting/muffling the sound.

I concur... Been A B'ing these two for the last two hours & the Grados wins hands down IMO...
Have you ever gone through most of the day and for some reason your ears pop and you realize
you've been muffled all day long... Well that's the feeling I've been getting going from the AKG's
then to the Grados. The Grados are so much clearer/sharper... Makes you wanna dance and participate
not just sit
& listen...

May 11, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 12
AKG K7XX = Caleb
Grado PS 500e = Nathan

[VIDEO]
http://youtu.be/nvYPCNCGEK8
[/VIDEO]

May 13, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #6 of 12
I concur... Been A B'ing these two for the last two hours & the Grados wins hands down IMO...
Have you ever gone through most of the day and for some reason your ears pop and you realize
you've been muffled all day long... Well that's the feeling I've been getting going from the AKG's
then to the Grados. The Grados are so much clearer/sharper... Makes you wanna dance and participate
not just sit
& listen...

Especially with the PS500s. They aren't your typical Grado; they really are beautifully balanced but they retain that wonderful detail/sparkle that just gets me lost in the music. With the G Cush pads, I've never found them overly bright.

May 13, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 12
  Especially with the PS500s. They aren't your typical Grado; they really are beautifully balanced but they retain that wonderful detail/sparkle that just gets me lost in the music. With the G Cush pads, I've never found them overly bright.

x2 love my Grados, maybe looking to trade my K7XX's for a DAC....

May 13, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 12
I don't know that I could give up my K7XXs. I think they're going to be one of these headphones that attain legendary status in the years to come.

May 13, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 12
My Wife informed me tonight on our walk that she really likes the K7XX, they are now hers. So, I guess I'll retract that post:wink:.

May 14, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #11 of 12
I'm not a fan of Grado headphones myself, but the one advantage the Grados have over the K7xx is that they actually exist. One can go and purchase them. I made contact with customer service at AKG and they don't know what I'm talking about when I asked about the K7xx regarding any support issues or anything. All I got was that they are not familiar with that model and have not heard about it.
I'd rather have a product that is supported, just in case.

May 20, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #12 of 12
  I'm not a fan of Grado headphones myself, but the one advantage the Grados have over the K7xx is that they actually exist. One can go and purchase them. I made contact with customer service at AKG and they don't know what I'm talking about when I asked about the K7xx regarding any support issues or anything. All I got was that they are not familiar with that model and have not heard about it.
I'd rather have a product that is supported, just in case.

I think I saw people responding to you about this in the general K7XX forum but I can assure you, they're real! And they sound great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back