[Comparison] Superlux HD681 Series vs Superlux HD668B vs Audio Technica M50 vs Alessandro MS1i vs Sony XB700
Feb 15, 2013 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ATi7500

Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I'd like to offer my humble contribution to this amazing forum that I've been lurking for so long :) Infact, I've got all of the mentioned headphones because of the many many good opinions about them read here.
Since i'm quite inexperienced with this kind of comparisons (never did one before), I'd like to build up this topic with the help of you guys! It will start really simple with a basic comparison between the models, and with your posts/requests I will build in more and more details.

[size=x-large]Here we go![/size]

Source: Xonar Essence ST (stock), 44.1, 24bit, 0db gain, Musicbee WASAPI output

Highs quantity: Headphones tested are all quite bright except the XB700, so it was quite difficult to make a chart. Let's say the first models in the rank have the most shrill/piercing highs.

HD681
M50S
MS1
HD681B
HD681F
HD668B
XB700

Mids quantity (ranking): (Consider this rank relative to highs and bass. Basically i'll put the most flat headphones at the top, and the V-shaped ones at the bottom.)

HD681F
HD668B
MS1
M50S
HD681B
XB700
HD681

[size=small][size=small] [/size][/size]
Bass quantity: (At the top the fattest, most reverbed bass, at the bottom the tightest, quickest)

HD681
HD681B
XB700
M50S
HD668B
MS1
HD681F

Soundstage: (from most ample to absent)

HD681
HD681B
HD681F
HD668B
M50S
XB700
MS1

Comfort:

XB700
HD681, B, F
M50S
HD668B
MS1

Please note again this is just the starting point, I plan to update the thread with YOUR suggestions and requests! I will try to accomplish as much as possible for my knowledge :)

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #2 of 11
Thanks for the great info ATi7500. I'm interested in the Superlux HD681 and HD668 for movies only, plugged into my receiver's headphone jack.

Which one do you think would be best for me?

Which is the most comfortable?

Which has the most room for my ears?

Thanks a lot.

Feb 16, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
Thanks for the great info ATi7500. I'm interested in the Superlux HD681 and HD668 for movies only, plugged into my receiver's headphone jack.

Which one do you think would be best for me?

Which is the most comfortable?

Which has the most room for my ears?

Thanks a lot.

Don't know about your ears, but mine are pretty big and protruding, and I feel there is more room in the 681, with the 668 I can feel the drivers padding on the extremities of my ears. Also the 681 headband is more comfortable to me, and the padding of the cups is softer than the 668.

For movies, I'd go for the HD681 (most bass), or the 681B (less recessed mids makes the dialogues stand out more, still good bass, same price)

Thanks for your interest!

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks. I read a review someone linked to in another thread about the HD681, and he said the highs were very harsh. He also didn't recommend them unless you can reduce the treble with an equalizer. Is it that bad? Would it even be a problem using them only for movies?

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #7 of 11
To my ears, they are not that bad. I actually like their texture more than the 668b, in which they seem more rough. Go 681b if you want a better balanced headphone, it still has plenty of bass and ample soundstage.

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I'd like to offer my humble contribution to this amazing forum that I've been lurking for so long :) Infact, I've got all of the mentioned headphones because of the many many good opinions about them read here.
Since i'm quite inexperienced with this kind of comparisons (never did one before), I'd like to build up this topic with the help of you guys! It will start really simple with a basic comparison between the models, and with your posts/requests I will build in more and more details.

[size=x-large]Here we go![/size]

Source: Xonar Essence ST (stock), 44.1, 24bit, 0db gain, Musicbee WASAPI output

Highs quantity: Headphones tested are all quite bright except the XB700, so it was quite difficult to make a chart. Let's say the first models in the rank have the most shrill/piercing highs.

HD681
M50S
MS1
HD681B
HD681F
HD668B
XB700

Mids quantity (ranking): (Consider this rank relative to highs and bass. Basically i'll put the most flat headphones at the top, and the V-shaped ones at the bottom.)

HD681F
HD668B
MS1
M50S
HD681B
XB700
HD681

Bass quantity: (At the top the fattest, most reverbed bass, at the bottom the tightest, quickest)

HD681
HD681B
XB700
M50S
HD668B
MS1
HD681F

Soundstage: (from most ample to absent)

HD681
HD681B
HD681F
HD668B
M50S
XB700
MS1

Comfort:

XB700
HD681, B, F
M50S
HD668B
MS1

Please note again this is just the starting point, I plan to update the thread with YOUR suggestions and requests! I will try to accomplish as much as possible for my knowledge :)

Hey, I thank you for your efforts.
I am in search of a sub-$50 can with great potential. I recently bought a Sennheiser HD201 and I was totally unimpressed by its lackluster bass and even more unimpressed by the low volume. In its defense, it did have a pretty balanced sound.

However, I am looking for cans with a bit more oomph to their bass than that. BUT, I don't want the bass to be overpowering and affecting the mids and highs too much. So, in essence I want a reasonably balanced cans with decent bass and volume being pretty good. I ended up looking at Superlux HD681's. But there are three of them, 681, 681B and 681F and I am quite confused.

Based on the requirements I stated, which among the three would suit me? It should have good bass AND still be well balanced with decent mids and highs PLUS it should have a far higher sound volume at max level than the HD201.
Thanks for the help in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back