[COMPARISON] Sennheiser Baby-Orpheus HE60/HEV70 & AKG K701 + Rudistor NX01
Apr 27, 2006 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

amartignano

1000+ Head-Fier
Italy - Knife Edge in other forums in the world
Hi,

I want to share with the forum my impressions about these two system, Sennheiser Baby-Orpheus HE60/HEV70 (with improved dc power supply) and AKG K701 + Rudistor NX01 solid state amp.
This will be not a "vs" comparison, but instead an "&" comparison, as I can't really say which system is better. But they are system at a very high level.

img07457aq.jpg

BUILD QUALITY & COMFORT
HE60: they are very well built, very similar to HD600/650, but with softer fake/leather pads. Very solid construction, another planet compared to the "plasticky" Stax Lambda. The membranes are not covered with "foams" screen, so they are free to express their sound without passive correction, only a metal grid protect them: this metal grid has some oval concentric "waved-shape", as maybe can be seen in the photos, that probably has the function to drive better the sound into the hear. So... a very effective and well-engineered construction.
Comfort is very high, there's a bit of the "grip" sense typical of this contruction (see HD600/650), but the pads are soft, so no problem for me. The headphones once weared stay put and don't move.
The HEV70 is a little "cute" amp, very small, well designed and unobtrusive on my desktop.

he6019gz.jpg

he6028sk.jpg

K701: The K701 are marvellous seen live. Very good design, "hard" color contrasts, but good, imho. Very light and solid, a bit plasticky, but overall very good. The leather headband is very good to look at and touch (and sniff...?
tongue.gif
). The cable doesn't coil and it is very unobtrusive (and seems of a very good quality).
The K701 are probably the most comfortable headphone I've ever had (with the HD590), I really forget to have them on my head... except for the headband that sometimes is a bit "hard", if they made it a bit softer... anyway, good.

img07492jl.jpg

GENERAL SOUND IMPRESSION
HE60/HEV70: at the very first days I had this headphone, I was quite embarassed to speak about them: too good. It's one of the most realistic sound I've ever heard in an headphone. Liveness, vivacity, rythm, body and quickness. And astonishing dynamic (especially considering they are an electrostatic headpohne). Very naturally transparent. A bit "upfront" compared to other headphones, but for sure one of the best sound I've ever heard. Very low distortion indeed, I find myself to listen at very high levels and not be aware of that.
K701+NX01: one of the best sound I've heard in my setup from a dynamic headphone. One of the most balanced dynamic can I've ever had, "but" they are for sure AKG successor to the K501. The sound comes "distant", it doesn't "hit" the ears, this is quite fascinating and a very good achievement for an headphone, but it can be not good for someone. Very detailed, but not bright, it's a "miracle" how AKG have created han headphone so detailed without going up with the highs, at the point that sometimes I feel the need for a bit more "sparkle" in the highs. But it is astonishingly good as it is.

img07481mq.jpg

Going specific...

BASS
HE60/HEV70:One of the best audophile bass I've ever heard. Quick, very quick, full, totally extended (at least as my ear goes), airy and punchy. Sometimes it can seem not so present as in other (dynamic) headphones, but I think it's better so. The organ pedals is very well rendered in the space of the church, and the electric bass is well represented, even if sometimes I wanted it a bit more present, but the HE60 seems to present only what it's recorded and no other.
With good classica/symphonic recording I've found the sound of cellos etc very very realistic and correct. With a clarity and modulation simply not possible for the most of the dynamic headphones around.
K701+NX01:Very good but a little "strange" bass. In some terms... similar to the one of the K501, with the exception that now the bass is full and totally extended. But it seems a little distant, a little bit "void" compared, say, to the HD600/650 (and also the HE60). Said that, the bass is very well inserted in the "space" of the recording. To explain: this bass is perfect with organ pedal (indeed, one of the best reproduction of the organ is the one I've heard with the K701: you can hear the church around, and the bass that expands in this space, giving some fake-telluric effect to me, I know the sound of a real organ, and the K701 is one of the most realistic sound I've heard in that sense). But... not equally good with electric bass. With it the K701 lacks a bit of "fullness", but it's quick and correctly present. Not so punchy, but anyway very good. I know it can be better with a more sinergic amplification (for example Leben CS600).

MIDS
HE60/HEV70: the voices reproduced by this system are very realistic, sometimes frightening realistic, given that they come from whithin or very near your head...
tongue.gif
... Astonishingly good performance, totally grain-free, and very dynamic. It follows any nuance of the voice.
All other instruments are very well rendered, there is no veil at all, and going from to HE60 to any other dynamic headphone (with the exception of the K701 at a certain degree) don't gives a good impression. The reproduction is very revealing of the music's nuances and expressiveness, giving a very envoloving entertainment. Timbre of the instruments almost "perfect".
K701+NX01: voices are "free" and they seem not veiled, similar to the ones of an electrostatic headphone. Very good timbre, very good expressiveness, maybe not near as in other headphones, a little "shy" and "aristocratic" (?!?
redface.gif
biggrin.gif
) reproduction, but very good to listen to.

HIGHS
HE60/HEV70: very extended and detailed. Harmonics of all instrumentrs are very well rendered. They shine and sparkle as only an electrostatic headphone (and the reality) can do. Every instrument is surrounded by a sphere of air full of harmonics, as I've never heard in other headphones in my setup. Wonderful.
I admit that I ear a little bit of "grain" sometime, but I don't know if it is the headphones, my source or an intrinsic limit of the 44kHZ-16bit coding of the CD. And I don't have SACD, pitily.
K701+NX01: impressive as this headphones is detailed without having a very present high region. Fantastic, but sometimes I wanted a bit more sparkle. Anyway, one of the best highs I've heard in a dynamic headphone. "Soft" but detailed, armonically defined but not too present. Realistic at a proper level and never fatiguing.

SOUNDSTAGE
HE60/HEV70: I can say... "correct" (for what it means "correct" in a recording of which you don't really know the real life soundstage...). Very well proportioned, very well continuous 3D and extended in all direction. Not overly large/deep dimensions, not impressive "unrealistic" perspective, but there is air around instruments, space between them and sharp limits of the instruments in the space. Good.
smily_headphones1.gif

K701+NX01: Impressive and a bit strange. Large, but especially "surrounding", as if it was curved around your head. The perspective is fascinating but sometimes a bit "unrealistic". Anyway, space and air between instruments, good shaped contours, very good dept sense, and good proportion of the instruments, even if sometimes some "little" instrument seems a bit larger than I wanted...

DYNAMIC
HE60/HEV70: one of the most dynamic headphone setup I've ever heard. Period.
tongue.gif
Flashing fast contrasts, optimal macro-dynamic and very good resolved micro-dynamic.
K701+NX01: very good dynamic, but the "distance" they put in the sound make the dynamics to be a little less than they are. Anyway, that cans can rock.

he6042xf.jpg

img07101gj.jpg

CONCLUSIONS
The He60/HEV70 is one of the best system I've ever heard. In practice, every single audiophile parameter I've searched, it turned out to be at a very high level. And they are one of the most involving headphones system in the music I've had.
The K701 is a wonderful dynamic headphones, with great potential, and it can grew a lot in quality as you accompain them with better sources and amp. They have their own particular features that made them not "for all", but for sure one of the best dynamic headphone around, for sure the less fatiguing and one of the most correctly balanced (together with HD600, HD650, new DT880 and I think very few others...).

I'm very happy to have both systems...
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Andrew

Apr 27, 2006 at 10:33 AM Post #2 of 19
Thanks, nice long revew and photos.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 12:21 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by arielext
Next up? A mid-range comparion with a DT880?
wink.gif

I don't have the DT880 anymore, sorry.
But the new DT880 is very tempting, an italian friend has it, and it seems that they are better balanced that the "old" one, so it can be a terrific headphone. I'll see... if I'm able to sell something maybe I can think about the new beyers...
tongue.gif

Andrew

Apr 27, 2006 at 12:48 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
I learned a new word: telluric. Thanks.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Ah Ah!!! Sorry, an italianish-english litteral translation...
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
Very nice review. I wonder how you divide your listing time between the dynamics and stats.

Fifty-fifty... more or less. Anyway, there's also the HD600 that has some "magic" on me in these days (as you can see in my avatar)
wink.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #7 of 19
Thanks for the review, Andrew -- I enjoyed reading it very much.

I am even more curious about the Baby O now. I don't think I'd ever be able to own a pair, but I would certainly love to hear them. It's a shame that Sennheiser doesn't think there is a enough of a market to justify producing a similar product.

Regarding the AKG 701, I share your enthusiasm.

I'd like to hear a bit more about what you perceive as "strange" about the 701's bass. I understand that English is not your native language, and I am impressed by your proficiency, but I want you to tell me more regardless!
smily_headphones1.gif
When I think of strange bass, I think of the SA5000 with it's unusuall speed and tightness or perhaps the CD3000, with its somtimes exceptional realism and other times lacking in body.

The 701, in contrast, ranks among the most well balanced bass I've heard. While not has tight or fast as the SA5000, it seems more realistic. It does not have the body or oomph of the HD650, but again, I find it to be more realistic. On some recordings, I find the bass a bit light, but I'm pretty convinced I'm noticing issues particular to how certain recordings were mixed (though this is certainly hard to tell).

When you say the 701's bass is a bit distant a void (compared to the HD650), are your comments about the overall presence of the bass or something more than that (as I suspect)?

Apr 27, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
I understand that English is not your native language

Nooo, really? How did you understood that?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Quote:

When you say the 701's bass is a bit distant a void (compared to the HD650), are your comments about the overall presence of the bass or something more than that (as I suspect)?

Exactly, something more.

It's like, ... think about a sphere... think it is totally full of material, maybe a slightly soft material: that is HD600. Think the same but with an "harder" material: HD650.
With the K701 that sphere seems sometimes (I stress, sometimes, because the bass of the K701 is anyway one of the best I've hard by a dynamic headphones) made only by the external surface... but still very present.
It's difficult to explain (and with this representation I've "exaggerated"), sum to this the fact that sometimes it comes a bit distant.
This goes very well with classical music in general, less good with electric bass or similar. But, as I've already wrote, the pedal organ with the K701 is one of the best I've heard.

Of course, IMHO and my setup
wink.gif
and, anyway, I agree that the bass of the K701 is one of the best balanced bass around, it's one of the deepest among dynamic cans, and can hit if you push it.

Andrew

Apr 27, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

I think of the SA5000 with it's unusuall speed and tightness

Agree with this impression about the SA5000.

Apr 27, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Oh I'm happy to buy the HE60 if money is an issue
wink.gif

Heck, I wouldn't mind a second set.

I guess that says something.

Apr 28, 2006 at 7:50 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Oh I'm happy to buy the HE60 if money is an issue
wink.gif

I could buy 5 DT880 with that money!
smily_headphones1.gif
tongue.gif

Nah... don't think about it
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 9:29 AM Post #14 of 19
Thanks for your review. I agree with almost all your impressions on the K701, which mean that I can also expect very accurate impressions of the Baby O as well. I am most delighted that you took the time to organise your impressions into different paragraphs/sections.

The only issue I have to raise is about your comments on the K701 sounding a little distant at times. I don't know what music you listen to most of the time, but I really didn't find them "veiled" at all. Maybe it's because I come from a HD650 background... I mainly listen to classical music and I think it's fair to say that I prefer the K701 over 70% of the time over the HD650. I think the HD650 is better for large organ works, music with monstrously large sound stage and massive ensemble/orchestral works. For small ensemble (duo, trio, quartet, quintet, sextet, septet, octet, etc...), solo vocal/instrumental works, I prefer the K701. The lack of "darkness" of the K701 and tighter, more accurate bass is much more suitable for the latter genres.

Apr 28, 2006 at 9:36 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
The only issue I have to raise is about your comments on the K701 sounding a little distant at times. I don't know what music you listen to most of the time, but I really didn't find them "veiled" at all.

Hi,

I don't think that K701 has "veil". They are one of the most natural detailed dynamic can I've ever heard. But sometimes their sound seems to me more "distant" than with an HD650 for example (more with an HD600).

Quote:

Maybe it's because I come from a HD650 background... I mainly listen to classical music and I think it's fair to say that I prefer the K701 over 70% of the time over the HD650. I think the HD650 is better for large organ works, music with monstrously large sound stage and massive ensemble/orchestral works. For small ensemble (duo, trio, quartet, quintet, sextet, septet, octet, etc...), solo vocal/instrumental works, I prefer the K701. The lack of "darkness" of the K701 and tighter, more accurate bass is much more suitable for the latter genres.

Strange.... I prefer the HD650 with small ensambles and the K701 with larger one, curious!
smily_headphones1.gif
Tastes...

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back