Comparison / Review : Beyerdynamic’s Siblings – The Classic DT880 Vs The Flagship T1
Jul 22, 2014 at 5:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 105
For larger images (1200 x 800) - please click individual pictures

INTRODUCTION

At the time I wrote my HD600 vs HD700 comparison, I’d mentioned to a few people that I also meant to compare the DT880 properly with my newly purchased T1.  Basically the premise I had with the Sennheiser “duel” is the same with this comparison ……

I needed to thoroughly compare, and formulate my thoughts (subjective as they may be), on the two neutral semi-open backed Beyerdynamic full sized cans – the classic DT880 and the flagship T1. Hopefully this will also provide the community with another point of view regarding the two headphones – and may help others with similar tastes if deciding between the two.

First, a little history about my experience with these headphones.
The DT880 Pro was one of the first open backed headphones I bought – and definitely one of my first mid-fi purchases.  I loved them from first listen – and the only reason I sold them was that I believed the reviews stating the 600 ohm DT880 was audibly better (smoother) - and I needed to find out for myself. So I purchased the 600 ohm Premiums and sold the Pros.  Eventually I got a chance to compare the 600 ohm Premium with a pair of 250 ohm Premiums – and guess what …..  when volume matched, any differences were minute, and probably more attributable to pad wear than actual sonic differences with the driver.

Around this time I also had a hankering to try some different headphones, so I sold the 600 ohm, played around with a few brands – bought, sold, bought, sold (a common Head-Fi pattern), until one day a reasonably priced pair of 250 ohm Premiums appeared on the FS section – and I realised how much I missed them. So I bought them again, and they have been part of my regular listening rotation since then.  Big plus – the 250 ohm are easy to drive straight out of the H/O of the X5.  Win-win.

But then – impulse struck, and a couple of months ago I managed to snag a pair of T1s at a good price.  So my wonderful wife (and she is) suggested it might be time for one of the Senns and one of the Beyers to go (ie get back to two headphones again). And she’s right.  So wander with me on a journey of discovery .  How well does the classic DT880 perform against the flagship T1?

Quick note – I’ve used an extremely similar format to the one I used for the Sennheiser comparison – even down to using the same tracks.  Please forgive the unoriginality – but it just seemed the most suitable thing to do.

ABOUT ME (or a base-line for interpreting my thoughts and bias)

I'm a 47 year old music lover.  I don't say audiophile – I just love my music.  Over the last couple of years, I have slowly changed from cheaper listening set-ups to my current set-up.  I vary my listening from portable (HSA Studio V3, Fiio X5, and iPhone4) to my desk-top's set-up (PC > coax > NFB-12 > LD MKIV > HP).  My main full sized headphones at the time of writing are the Senn HD600, Beyer T1 and DT880.  A full list of the gear I have owned (past and present is listed in my Head-fi profile).

I have very eclectic music tastes listening to a variety from classical/opera and jazz, to grunge and general rock.   I listen to a lot of blues, jazz, folk music, classic rock, indie and alternative rock.  I am particularly fond of female vocals.  I tend toward cans that are relatively neutral/balanced - with a slight emphasis on the mid-range.  I am neither a bass nor treble head (you could argue that I do like clarity though).

I am not treble sensitive (at all), and in the past have really enjoyed headphones like the K701, SR325i, and of course the DT880.

I do not believe in headphone burn-in (I have never witnessed night and day changes personally), but I am aware of psycho acoustic burn-in (brain burn-in).  This is a purely subjective review - my gear, my ears, and my experience.  Please take it all with a grain of salt - especially if it does not match your own experience.  I have used different versions of the DT880 extensively – and the T1 for approximately 2 months.

THE REVIEW

REVIEW / COMPARISON RESOURCES

​
For the purposes of this review and comparison, I used both headphones mostly from my NFB-12 + LD MKIV.  Both headphones were volume level matched using an SPL meter and calibrated (twice) with a constant -3 dB tone at 3 kHz.  This was rechecked periodically during the comparison.  I used the Little Dot mainly because it was easier to swap with the correct volume matching (more precise markings on the pot). 

Tracks used were across a variety of genres – and can be viewed in this list http://www.head-fi.org/a/brookos-test-tracks.

PUBLISHED SPECIFICATIONS

T1
DT880
Transducer Type
Dynamic – angled drivers
Dynamic – non-angled driver
Capsule
Circumaural – semi open
Circumaural – semi open
Driver technology
Tesla
Standard
Frequency Response
5 – 50,000 Hz
5 – 35,000 Hz
Impedance
600 ohm
250 ohm
Nominal SPL
102 dB (1mW / 500 Hz)
96 dB (1mW / 500 Hz)
THD
<0.05% (1mW / 500 Hz)
<0.2% (1mW / 500 Hz)
Power handling capacity
300 mW
100 mW
Headband pressure
Approx. 2.8N
Approx. 2.8N
Cable
3m, dual sided, balanced 6 core
3m standard cable
Connector
Gold plated 6.35mm Neutrik
Gold plated 3.5mm with screw on 6.3mm
Weight (with cable)
525g
365g

FREQUENCY RESPONSE GRAPH

Thanks to Headroom for the graph above.

PACKAGING

DT880 Retail Outer Sleeve
T1  Retail Outer Sleeve

Both the DT880 and T1 come in a clean (large) retail outer box, disclosing the normal marketing descriptions, artwork, and also technical specifications.  The main difference in the outer packaging – besides the T1 box being slightly bigger – is in the descriptions.  The DT880 is described as a Premium Stereo Headphone, whilst the T1 carries the descriptor Audiophile Stereo Headphone.

DT880 Leatherette Case
T1 Aluminium Case

Inside the DT880 outer retail box is an inner leatherette carry case with a moulded foam insert which surrounds and protects the DT880.  The T1 has the same moulded foam insert – but this time enclosed inside a very high quality aluminium case.  You could drop the case from a great height, or have something dropped on it, and the T1 would survive nicely.  You can tell the T1 is their flagship!

DT880 inside it's case
T1 inside it's case

BUILD / COMFORT

Both headphones are extremely well built IMO, and although not modular (like the HD600), as long as they are not abused, I believe they could easily last for decades.

DT880 side view
T1 side view

The 250 ohm Premium DT880 has a hard plastic outer shell, metal grill and yolks, sprung steel inner headband covered in very soft padding with a leatherette cover.  The earpads are a grey extremely soft velour, and there is a black foam disc covering the transducers and protecting them.  The single sided cable (attached to the left ear cup) is approximately 4mm in diameter and 3m in length.  The cable consists of some very thin inner fabric coated copper wiring (I know because I recabled a previous pair) with a thick PVC outer sheath for protection.  The sheath is a little ‘plasticky’ for my tastes – but does roll easily.  It is permanently attached.  The plug is a 3.5mm threaded gold plated stereo plug, and comes with a threaded 6.3mm adaptor which fits perfectly.

DT880 profile view
T1 profile view

The T1 also has a hard plastic shell – but this time it’s only the part closer to the pads.  The inner shell appears to be a metal alloy (magnesium maybe?).  The grill is also metal (the T1 grill mesh is a lot finer than the DT880), as are the yolks (these are also thicker and better quality). It has a sprung steel inner headband covered in very soft padding, but this time with a genuine nappa leather cover (very, very soft), and the end inserts (that attach the yolks) are also metal – the DT880 are molded plastic.  The earpads are a black soft velour, but this time there is no foam cover over the obviously angled transducers.  The cable is dual sided, approximately 4mm in diameter at the cups, joined after the Y split into a figure 8 configuration (8mm wide approx.) and the entire cable is also 3m in length.  The cable is extremely well made, and apparently is 6 core (+/-/G for ach channel) with a thick PVC outer sheath for protection.  It is permanently attached.  The plug is a 6.3mm genuine Neutrik gold plated stereo plug.

DT880 headband
T1 headband

For build quality, the T1 is definitely the more premium offering – however as I alluded to earlier – both are IMO extremely well built.

DT880 cup - foam cover over the drivers
T1 cup - angled drivers

As far as comfort goes, both headphones are extremely comfortable, with well thought out padding, and a firm clamp force – but never excessive.  I can wear either headphone for hours with no fatigue.  Despite the T1 having the softer leather headband, neither the DT880 nor T1 have ever given me issues with pressure points.  For overall comfort – I’d actually give the nod to the DT880 simply because it is slightly lighter (although a lot of the T1’s weight is actually in the heftier cable).

Cord comparison - T1 top, and T880 bottom
Closer look at the T1 mesh

Summary:
Build => T1 much more robustly built, but both have a design that should last for a long time with proper care.
Comfort => DT880 is a little more comfortable due to a slightly lighter weight – but both headphones are extremely comfortable for long term wear.

SONIC COMPARISONS

General frequency summary (supported by graph above):

These were my general notes before actually downloading the graph from Headroom. 

I’ve come to appreciate the DT880 over time as having a very flat and balanced signature – even more so than my trusty HD600s.  The difference to me is that where the HD600 sounds balanced, it also sounds very natural with a timbre that is as close to real as I’ve heard in a headphone. The DT880 on the other hand is beautifully balanced – but the very upper mids and lower treble are brighter than what I’d call normal or natural.  The result is a brilliantly cohesive signature which has an etched quality about it – and sounds very detailed.  IMO it tends to excel particularly with stringed instruments of all varieties, as well as brass and cymbals.  The other thing I’ve always loved about the DT880 is its bass.  It’s never flabby, and doesn’t exhibit a large mid bass hump, with equally large drop in the sub-bass (which seems prevalent in a lot of headphones).  Instead you get the normal sub-bass roll-off associated with dynamic headphones, but it’s a slower drop off - more extended and linear through mid and sub-bass.

The T1 in comparison is immediately noticeable as being an extremely similar signature – but with slightly more bass (very similar tonal quality to the bass though – and equally as linear), very similar mid-range, but a more detailed and euphoric (it’s hard to put into words) vocal range.  The T1 sounds more vibrant – also clearer and more articulate.  Both have a cohesive and balanced signature resulting in as slightly etched and detailed presentation.  But where the DT880 paints its tonal picture in clear water colours, the T1 takes it one step further with vivid and vibrant oil based paints.

Cup and yolk - DT880
Cup and yolk - T1

Soundstage / Imaging:

To test soundstage and imaging I use Amber Rubarth’s “Tundra” track from the album Tales of the 17th Ward.  The track is binaural – so it gives good queues anyway – but can be very good for a combination of imaging and soundstage width and depth.  I was expecting the T1 to excel here (with its angled drivers) – and it definitely delivered.  But, I was surprised how good the DT880 was in comparison.  The T1 gives a definitely better impression of space and air overall – but it’s not a landslide victory.

Next track to test was Loreena McKennitt’s “Dante’s Prayer” (live).  I know this track well, and have seen the video of the stage layout, and the miking of this particular track on the album is pretty close to the actual stage layout.  The really nice part of this track is the delicate dance of the piano and cello, and the DT880 portrays it effortlessly.  But switching to the T1, and the immediate impression again is how vivid the portrayal is – and especially how the T1 handles depth and width.  At the end of the track there is an interval when the applause kicks in – and it’s become one of my benchmarks for realism and depth (I close my eyes, and see if the presentation puts me in the audience).  Both headphones manage it.

Summary – both T1 and DT880 perform well with sense of air, space and imaging – but the T1 gives slightly more sense of space, and more separation and vibrancy. The DT880 holds its own though and it’s by no stretch a landslide.  T1 by a small margin.

Specific Genre Notes:

Rock / Classic Rock / Prog Rock
Tracks tested included:
  1. “Away from the Sun” – 3 Doors Down
  2. “Art for Art’s Sake” – 10CC
  3. “The Diary of Jane” – Breaking Benjamin
  4. “Hotel California” – The Eagles
  5. “Sultans of Swing” – Dire Straits
  6. “Boulevard of Broken Dreams” – Green Day
  7. “Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town” – Pearl Jam
  8. “Immortality” – Seether (unplugged)
  9. “Money” – Pink Floyd
  10. “Trains” – Porcupine Tree

The DT880 actually sounds pretty good to me for most Rock tracks – I’ve always loved it.  The first thing I notice is the balance – nothing is overdone for my tastes.  The presentation is crystal clear.  Switching to the T1, and the first thing I notice is an increase in clarity and vividness – and whilst the signature between the two is very close, the jump in definition is not subtle.  I’m also noticing an almost holographic presentation – and I guess that’s the angled drivers coming into play.  And this is not necessarily increased soundstage – as a lot of times the DT880 actually sounds a little more distant.  No – the difference for me is space between instruments. It’s actually quite amazing with some older recordings like 10CC’s “Art for Art’s Sake”, as it gives such a lively presentation that it’s almost like breathing new life into the track.

And this is the feeling I’m getting repeatedly moving from track to track.  The DT880 by itself is lively, balanced, renders acoustic instruments (especially guitars) beautifully.  But as soon as I replay the same track with the T1, I find myself not wanting to switch back.  In fact I’ve had to check the SPL meter to make sure I don’t have the T1 unwittingly louder.  The T1 is just more refined, less polite – more present.

To mix things up a bit I stayed with the T1 for Hotel California’s intro – then switched back to the DT880.  The most noticeable differences are the loss of comparative vividness of the guitar, and also the slightly lesser bass impact on the DT880.  The excitement I’m getting from the T1 just isn’t there with the DT880 (when direct A/Bing).

One of my all-time favourite tracks is Pearl Jam’s “Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town”.  This track has become my litmus test for male vocals – and the T1 is outstanding for this track.  Vedder’s voice simply has more timbre and presence.

So for Rock I’d conclude that the DT880 is incredibly capable, and when not in the presence of the T1, it continues to shine as an incredibly balanced and refined headphone.  But as soon as the T1 is there for comparison – the shine disappears quickly, and the spotlight moves.  Whilst they share the same basic signature – the T1 is clearly the star.

Opera / Classical 
Tracks tested included:
  1. “Nessun Dorma” – Pavarotti
  2. “Flower Duet (Lakme)” – Netrebko and Garanca
  3. “Moonlight Sonata 1st & 3rd” – Wilhelm Kempf
  4. “Op.8, No.1, R.269 "La Primavera" - 1. Allegro” – Anne Sophie Mutter & Trondheim Soloists (Vivaldi’s Four Seasons)
  5. “OP 35 1st Movement from Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto in D” – Julia Fischer

With the opera, the first thing I’m noticing is that although with the DT880s there almost seems to be a little distance sometimes with the vocals – the T1 are now giving me more space with the orchestra.  This is particularly so with Netrebko and Garanca in Lakme’s Flower Duet, and for the first time I’m noticing just how well the T1 is able to portray female vocals.  I’m a big fan of female vocals generally – and the T1 is stunning in this regard.

With Moonlight Sonata, both Beyers performed with real distinction, and there wasn’t a huge amount of difference – not enough to justify the large price difference.  For this recording they are very similar sounding. Finally – onto the Tchaikovsky and Vivaldi pieces, again the signatures are so very similar, but with strings I personally get a greater sense of involvement with the T1s.  I do think that both Beyers excel with classical music though.

Jazz
Tracks tested included:
  1. “So What” – Miles Davis
  2. “Gaucho” – Steely Dan
  3. “Safer” – Gabriella Cilmi
  4. “Love Me Like A Man” – Diana Krall
  5. “Ruins” – Portico Quartet

This one (like my findings with the HD700 vs HD600) became all about presentation and preference.  Both headphones are so similar sonically, and they’re fantastic with Jazz, able to convey the cohesion and contrast that makes jazz such an excellent genre.  The DT880 give most of my Jazz tracks a little more of a laid back feeling, whilst the T1 is again a little more vibrant.  And for the tracks I’ve listed, I’m finding mixed preferences.  For anything with vocals, I’m continually drawn to the T1’s.  But with Miles Davis and also Portico Quartet’s “Ruins”, it’s the relaxed presentation of the DT880 which I’m actually preferring.  Overall though the margins are small – and I could live happily with either one.  Both are refined, airy, balanced, and marvelously coherent.

Pop / Rap / Dub / Electronic / Indie
Tracks tested included:
  1. “Turning Tables” – Adele
  2. “You Know I’m No Good” – Amy Winehouse
  3. “Lose Yourself” – Eminem
  4. “Aventine” – Agnes Obel
  5. “Electric Daisy Violin” – Lindsay Stirling
  6. “Little Man” – Little Dragon
  7. “Royals” – Lorde
  8. “Tui Dub” – Salmonella Dub
  9. “God Is Speaking” - The Flashbulb
  10. “Cannibal King” - Yesper

For my particular tastes, this is where the T1 pulls away from and simply eclipses the DT880.  Both have clarity.  Both have balance.  Both have an ability to pull me into the music and captivate me.  But everytime I switched to the T1, everything just lifted a notch.  And the only way I can really explain it is a sense of vividness – which I don’t notice isn’t there if I try the DT880 with a certain track first, but I readily notice is missing when I go back from the T1 to the DT880.  With female vocals in particular there is a sense of euphoria in the vocals that is captivating with the T1s.

AMPING / SENSITIVITY

Using the T1 and DT880 with my LD MKIV OTL tube – both headphones were actually very close on the pot to achieve the same SPL.  The DT880 despite being much lower impedance required just two more clicks higher to match the T1 SPL.  Test tone used was a constant -3 dB tone at 3 kHz so that I could match vocal presence.

With the X5 – again the DT880 from the same volume setting achieved a very slightly lower SPL, but again very close (5 points down on the digital volume scale).  Both headphones sounded excellent with the X5 – and I have no qualms about using it as a source straight from the headphone out (no further amping).  This did surprise me a little with the T1 as I thought initially it would require a higher voltage.

GAMING

Whilst I’ve used both headphones for gaming – and I used to use the DT880 quite extensively over the previous 2-3 years – since getting the T1’s they have become my go-to headphones.  For FPS particularly, they are both immersive plus have the additional staging, imaging and clarity to give me the edge in situations that require it.  I know it’s an expensive way to go for gaming – but the combination of long term comfort, positional accuracy and gaming immersion make them a real winner.  

VALUE + CONCLUSION

T1 foreground - is it worth the extra money?
DT880 foreground - does it eclipse the T1 for value?

If we take the street price for a 250 ohm DT880 at USD200-250, and the T1 at USD650-750, the T1 come in at 3 times the price of the DT880.  So how does that influence my decisions going forward?

There is no doubt to me that the DT880 are very close in sonic signature.  In fact they are far more similar than they are different.  If I was on a budget, then the DT880 delivers (IMO) around 75-80% of what the T1 presents sonically.  In fact to me, the DT880 (like the HD600) represents one of the best value headphones available today.  They are both all-rounders, both incredible sounding, and both potential end game headphones for many.

But the T1 does deliver superior sonics, and after comparing the two side-by-side, I know already which one I am keeping.  At its current price level (remember that the T1 used to be well over USD 1000 not long ago), if you can afford it, the T1 offers a genuine upgrade to the DT880, whilst retaining the basics of the sonic signature which makes it so wonderful.  Along with the more intense and vibrant sonic presentation, you also get a nicer build quality.  For me, the additional that the T1 is delivering is well worth the asking price - and I can see myself sticking with the T1 for a very long time.

Sadly I’ll be saying goodbye very soon to my last pair of DT880s.  They have been wonderful headphones over the years for me – but a new king is here.  The T1’s IMO are definitely worthy of their flagship status.

Time to say goodbye to the DT880 and welcome the new king - T1

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #2 of 105
Nicely written mate, as always!

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #3 of 105
Great comparison and very eloquently said.

My experience is very similar. Right down to track preference. Certain tracks, I'm just used to the closer laid back intimacy that the 880s offer and found the T1s a little "off" for those tracks. I did downgrade my setup tho. I found that the T90s were good enough where I still get the clarity and the vividness of the T1s but lose the superior imaging and staging. It was close enough at half to 2/3s of the price of the T1s that I couldn't justify keeping. If money wasn't a factor, I definitely would've kept the T1s but I'm happy with the T90s as a primary. :)

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #7 of 105
Nice review. Currently listening to my 250ohm DT-880 pro, and happy to read you didn't notice much difference with the 600ohm version. I keep thinking I missed an opportunity not going for the 600ohm ones in the time, so I'm glad to hear I'm not missing out on that much after all; 250ohm fitted my setup back then better anyway; an improperly driven 600ohm would have rather been a step down instead of up.

I recently did some binaural listening myself and got a bit deeper into the matter. Binaural recordings are made by molding a head with outer ears. The mics are where the eardrums would be. This way environmental reflections and cues are captured along, as the head, outer ear and ear canal influence this. This makes, to my understanding, that binaural recordings are best fit for in-ear monitors. The sound plays the closest to where it was picked up. Headphones let it pass through the outer ear and ear canal again. So in fact, you hear a sound that has passed TWICE the outer ear and ear canal.

The angled drivers of the T1 (something seen in a number of Sennheiser headphones as well, in the first place their flagship HD800), project the sound in a more natural way to the outer ear, making better use of the cues and reverberations you are familiar with: your own body's. This way they manage to create better imaging and soundstaging.

In your binaural test, I would think that the "in this regard inferior" DT-880 would have less of the "over-coloration" created by passing the outer ear two times, so better preserving the originally intended spatial cues.
With normal recordings however, the T1 would have a clear advantage. It may be more clear in complex classical music, where you are surrounded by loads of instruments all wanting their own little space in the soundstage. But this is very much depending on the quality of the recording as well!

None of this is tested of course, just trying to think this through :) So please do correct me if I'm completely lost.

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #8 of 105
Another excellent review by Brooko!  Congrats!

I'm curios to know how did you level both headphones with SPL meter.  Do you mind to show some pictures of how you use the SPL meter to measure the headphones loudness?  Any particular reason why you use 3 kHz?
Thanks!

I love both my T1 and DT880. Those are truly legendary great headphones!  Mine is the DT880 Pro 600 ohms edition.

Let me try to predict what you're going to do with your T1 in the future:
You will cut the T1 headphone cable and terminate it with 4 pins XLR for your future balanced headphone amplifier.
For two reasons:
1. T1 cable is too long.
2. It sounds better in balanced. 
normal_smile .gif

When you do that, you will remember me 
wink_face.gif

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #9 of 105
Really excellent review and I agree with just about everything you say.

I also have the DT-880 Pro and T1.  Have had the 880's now for about 7 months and the T1's just a month.  I'm running them both through various amps depending on my mission (recording/mixing, or just music enjoyment).  I found the DT-880's a bit bright until I put the Mullard 8100's into my LD3.  TOUCHDOWN.  The sound with that combination is effortless and just amazingly pure and stress free.  I see a number of people on the forums call this a basic "mid-fi" setup, but regardless of what you call it this combination sure sounds good!

With the T1's, the Mullard tubes don't have enough upper mid's for my taste and I found the stock GE tubes fit my needs better.  I find they are much nicer with solid state amps then the 880's too, even though I've read all over the place that the T1 doesn't pair well with solid state amps.  My experience is different, I find them excellent with tubes or SS amps.   The T1, regardless of amps, is clearly superior to the DT-880 in speed.  This translates to a level of clarity from top to bottom of the frequency range that the DT-880 can't achieve.

I love both these headphones and certainly the pricing of the DT-880 makes it an incredible value for the sound quality you get.  The T1, on the other hand, is very expensive for the improvement you get.  Yes, it's clearly better in my opinion, but you're paying a lot for an incremental upgrade. It seems to me the T1 probably will benefit from more refinement in the source and amplification than the DT-880, so I haven't yet got to a level where the T1's can achieve their utmost performance.

This morning I am doing some rehearsing for a recording I'm working on, and the DT-880's are my choice due to their lighter weight and excellent relaxed sound.  That's in the living room.  In my little den/studio I have the T1's set up for serious listening and will use them during the mixdown process in addition to various speakers.

I'm keeping them both!

Keep on 'rockin,

Mark

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #11 of 105
Superb review Brooko, great as usual. I got the used T1 in excellent condition for $550 and they are worth every single penny. They are truly an outstanding headphones if you mate them with Bottlehead Crack/Speedball. I found them slightly uncomfortable to wear for long listening section, maybe I'm the only one have that problem.

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #12 of 105
Excellent review.  DT880's were my first good set of cans, and I still haven't managed to part with them for all the reasons you so aptly expressed.  Makes me want a set of T1's now.  Perhaps if the price keeps falling...

Jul 22, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #13 of 105
Great write up (and it reminded me to listen to Pearl Jam "Vs" which I had not done in quite some time).   I am always tempted when new prices on T1s on Amazon slip into the $700-ish range, but then wonder whether even then it is worth the price differential over the DT880.  I have the AKQ Q701 but at the time I bought them a few years ago it was almost a toss-up between the AKG and the DT880.

Jul 22, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #14 of 105
Wonderful article and I'll have to keep the T1 on my want list now.

Jul 22, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #15 of 105
Nicely done i've been waiting for these comparison,But IMO i would like a HP that will be diferent from my DT880 600R so HD650 will be my next HP purchase after i'am done building the CRACK. 
THANK YOU!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back