Comparison: FiiO X3 vs. iBasso DX50
Oct 5, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #31 of 100
I am so sorry about the fact that you got a plastic cased X3. However, this image posted by ClieOS

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k240/ofey_s/FiiO/X3m-03.jpg

shows quite clearly that the bottom part (which holds the huge battery) is metal. It sparkles in the unfinished edge just like metal and is very thin. like an aluminium shell would be.

Plus the factthat my X3 does not bend and creak like I read in some early reviews. Maybe they changed the case materials after buyer feedback.

Sorry I should be more specific. I was talking about the front part of the casing. The side and back is solid aluminium, but the front sides and front part is plastic with aluminium sheet at the buttons area.

Oct 5, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #32 of 100

Guys, the X3's enclsoure is DEFINITELY plastic.  Yes, there are very thin aluminum panels on the top and bottom, and yes, they are seamlessly integrated into the plastic enclosure to give the appearance of one seamless aluminum shape.  It is formed with a special manufacturing process designed to make it look like it's a single piece of aluminum.  That's the whole point of the process. 

If you don't believe me, open up the enclosure and look inside - or just ask the CEO of FiiO himself. 

I have taken my X3 apart way too many times and I am sure it is no fully plastic. Only the front bezel is plastic (extend to the inside where the screws go in, or if you like, the frame). The back enclosure is anodized aluminum, and so is the front panel. In fact, James @ FiiO has covered this quite a few times in the main X3 thread before the release. Unless the word 'enclosure' has a different meaning, I'll say it is mostly aluminum with plastic front.

Oct 5, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #34 of 100
  I'm just the edge of decision to buy Fiio X3 or iBasso DX50. I've lost on forums of both topics. Many says DX50 soundstage and clarity, detail is better but it is suffering with firmware issues, many bugs, freeze etc... on the other hand X3 is more stable. But u know firmware issues can be solved although SQ won't. 
The price difference is jus 47 USD. 

What you think ? Especially SQ side.

I just purchased the DX 50 which will arrive by the end of next week maybe, you have to ask yourself this question.

Do you buy a DAP mainly for it's build quality or the sound quality? if it's for build quality then why are you spending so much money on a DAP? 

Oct 5, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #35 of 100
I haven't heard the DX50 but one sound quality characteristic that I can't imagine it besting the X3 in is tonality. The tone of instruments sounds incredibly real, almost analog sounding on the X3. 

Oct 6, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #36 of 100
I just purchased the DX 50 which will arrive by the end of next week maybe, you have to ask yourself this question.

Do you buy a DAP mainly for it's build quality or the sound quality? if it's for build quality then why are you spending so much money on a DAP? 

Not saying X3 or DX50 build quality is bad, but build quality is almost as important as SQ. For the amount you spend, I'm sure you don't want your DAP dying on you after a few months or a year.

Oct 6, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #37 of 100
So imo first sq is essential and then bq follow it.
According to my search in the topics in terms of both case (sq & bq) iBasso is better than x3. Offcourse it doesnt mean x3 is bad. The main question is it worth to pay 50 usd more? In my case yes it is

Oct 6, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #39 of 100
FWIW, I sold my AK120 after getting the DX50.  I upgraded to AK120 from the stock AK100.  I also have the HM901 which I'm keeping.  Have had the DX100 and X3 but sold them.

These things are all subjective and you can't really tell until you have them side-by-side comparing.  And others definitely can't tell you which one is better, even in extreme (in terms of price) case as in X3 vs AK120.... just go with your ears, and keep whatever you like.  
etysmile.gif

Oct 6, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #40 of 100
If your 901 is your go to player, you certainly didn't need both it and the AK. 901 is just a bit too large for me so it's an ak120 for my needs and my backup is the Studio. Nice to have something else around that can still bring a smile like the Studio or DX50. I was a bit disappointed that the new 802 is just as big as the 901.

Oct 6, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #41 of 100
FWIW, I sold my AK120 after getting the DX50.  I upgraded to AK120 from the stock AK100.  I also have the HM901 which I'm keeping.  Have had the DX100 and X3 but sold them.

These things are all subjective and you can't really tell until you have them side-by-side comparing.  And others definitely can't tell you which one is better, even in extreme (in terms of price) case as in X3 vs AK120.... just go with your ears, and keep whatever you like.  
etysmile.gif

Wow mind sharing with us why u sold ur AK120 when you got a lower end DAP? If I had the money I would instantly get the AK120 or even the AK100 but my budget is limited so I got the DX 50 as it is the closest thing to the AK120 (I am looking at you UI)

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #42 of 100

etysmile.gif

Wow mind sharing with us why u sold ur AK120 when you got a lower end DAP? If I had the money I would instantly get the AK120 or even the AK100 but my budget is limited so I got the DX 50 as it is the closest thing to the AK120 (I am looking at you UI)

Coz to me with my IEM/Headphones, my HM901 sound much better than the AK120, which sound different but not necessary always better than the DX50.  

DX50 maybe "lower" in price, but certainly not THAT much lower in terms of SQ, if it's lower at all, than the AK120.  AK120 is nice for the USB DAC and DSD capability, plus the built quality.  SQ wise it is just not that much better than the DX50 so you aren't really missing much in terms of sound there.  As for AK100, I think many who have had both won't hesitate to tell you the DX50 actually may pair better with our IEMs than stock AK100.

I just also preordered the sony ZX1 which should have the best UI outside of iDevices.  Keeping my finger crossed it would sound good.

Oct 7, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #44 of 100
I have been reading a lot of positive opinions about the DX50. However, since explaining why one likes a thing will most surely skew one's opinion of that thing, I am reluctant to believe the explanations of preference. Could anyone please link to a set of quality audio measurements done on the DX50. The X3 was measured up the wazoo by people trying to establish it is just as good as the other more expensive players, however, for the DX50 I only found one set of RMAA measurements, which are questionable, since the OP wanted to prove the DX50 is better than the X3.

So, does anyone have any knowledge of someone posting any AP or dScope measurements on the DX50?

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #45 of 100
  I have been reading a lot of positive opinions about the DX50. However, since explaining why one likes a thing will most surely skew one's opinion of that thing, I am reluctant to believe the explanations of preference. Could anyone please link to a set of quality audio measurements done on the DX50. The X3 was measured up the wazoo by people trying to establish it is just as good as the other more expensive players, however, for the DX50 I only found one set of RMAA measurements, which are questionable, since the OP wanted to prove the DX50 is better than the X3.

So, does anyone have any knowledge of someone posting any AP or dScope measurements on the DX50?

That's a good question but if you talk to a few people who do sell audiophile stuff like Jaben and other shops they'll tell you that the DX 50 company have been keeping a down low and tries to minimize it's profile mainly because of it's limited stock and the huge demand for it.  

I know it sound ridiculous but it's true, my local shop sold the DX 50 the most and it's constantly in demand as I am still waiting for mine to arrive in a few days time. but at the end of the day it's your experience that will justify your choice of purchase instead of just charts which can look good but if you find one better than the other then the the charts is useless. Don't you agree?  :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back