Comparison between the x5 and the x10
Jul 27, 2008 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

younglee200

1000+ Head-Fier
I thought this place would be the best place to ask on the difference between the x5 and the x10 model.

What is the difference in the sound signature between the two? I've heard that x10 was just like x5 with extra base and smaller size, but I've recently been reading that they use different drivers and actually sound differently.

Also, are these dual drivers or single drivers?

Thank you

Jul 27, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 7
Both the X10 and X5 are single armature drivers. I have the X5 coming tomorrow and will be able to comment on the sound quality. I tried the X10 a while back so any comparisons will be by memory.

Jul 29, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmiarka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the X5 coming tomorrow and will be able to comment on the sound quality. I tried the X10 a while back so any comparisons will be by memory.

So, ajmiarka, whaddaya think of the X5? I too had the X10 at one point, and despite their overall buttery-smooth, warm signature, I found they were a bit too harsh with the sibilants in my recordings to hold onto. Any chance you can comment on how your X5 handles sibilance vs. the X10? My presumption is that the X5's focus on treble would, if anything, exacerbate the problem -- but then again, a clearer treble can also translate to a better-behaved one...

Aug 5, 2008 at 11:16 AM Post #4 of 7
For my brief time with the X5s, I can say that the mids/highs are much clearer than the X10s. To me, the bass on the X10s hid a lot of the mid and high sounds. I was happy with the amount of bass on the X5s though, and comfort was not an issue, even though the "barrel" is bigger than the X10. You should not have an issue getting them into your ears.
ksc75smile.gif

As for sibilance, I'm not quite sure what that is...from Webster's definition, it would be the harsh sounds coming from the voice on a recording? I did not have an issue with this with the X5. Voices sounded great.

In the end, I returned the X5s, but that's because I got an awesome deal on some SE530s that I couldn't pass up. If I had a choice again between the X10s and the X5s, I would pick the X5s. The price point is cheaper and I feel you get a better sound that isn't drowned out by the bass of the X10s.

Hope this helps. I'm not really good at explaining the technical parts of what I hear. Need to work on that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, ajmiarka, whaddaya think of the X5? I too had the X10 at one point, and despite their overall buttery-smooth, warm signature, I found they were a bit too harsh with the sibilants in my recordings to hold onto. Any chance you can comment on how your X5 handles sibilance vs. the X10? My presumption is that the X5's focus on treble would, if anything, exacerbate the problem -- but then again, a clearer treble can also translate to a better-behaved one...

Aug 6, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the reply, ajmiarka! Sibilance (in recording terms) is indeed a harshness present in some vocals, particularly with "s" and "ch" and "sh" and "c" types of sounds that can spike several dB higher than the rest of the recording. One's level of tolerance to it is a very personal thing; me, I can't stand the stuff.

Sep 18, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #6 of 7
Hi,

I thought I would add my observations, having tried both the X5 and X10. Firstly, I found the X5 to be far more comfortable than the X10, even with the biflange tips poked deep into my ear. It seems the reason for this is that with the X10, the "tail" made contact with part of my external ear, creating a sort of "pressure point" that radiated pain in the ear area and surrounding parts of the head. With the X5, the tail is long enough such that it does not touch any part of my external ear. Very comfortable indeed.

I did not like the sound of the X5 at all, but I loved the sound of the X10. To me the X5 sounded gutless, opaque and lacking in dynamics. I did not find it any clearer than the X10 - infact I found precisely the opposite. I also thought that contrary to other opinions, the X10 had significant top end resolution, extension and transparency, though I still think is the X10's only sonic weak point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back