*Comparison and Review* Magni/Modi vs O2/ODAC
Dec 22, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #16 of 452
That might be hard unless I know what you're coming from.  As the review would allude to, they sound just like they would with the Objective combo.  In general, it's a very clean sound, and there's no emphasized bass compared to other, warmer amps or sources.

The first thing you might notice is the difference in treble quality. 

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #17 of 452
It seems Schiit found a new market for their gear. At $200 I am wondering how these do sound and tempted to pick up a pair just to see how far $200 can go. Maybe I can pick up this for my AD2k which doesn't need much to sound good.

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #20 of 452
One thing I like about the O2 combo is that you can, even with nothing playing, crank the volume to 100% and not hear a shred of hiss. Nothing. Totally black.

Does this describe the Modi/Mangi too?

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #23 of 452
So far comparing the stack to my ODAC/SA-31 combo is that the stack is definitely on the airy, clean side. No addition of warmth anywhere. Its just very clean. Makes the HE400 sound nicely balanced and airy, compared to the warmer, fuller SA-31. This is a very short impression. So far the stack has less bass, and more sparkle, though A-GD amps are warm/smoother up top by design.

I dont have the O2, but I will be comparing the Modi and ODAC off the SA-31 which has many inputs. I will also test the DACs with the Magni as the amp, though that wont be as easy due to the Magni only having one input.

TMRaven, I love your comparison. :D

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #24 of 452
The Schiit stack looks nice, but I'm still not regretting getting on a good pair of O2+ODAC for $200 used. They seem to go for around this give or take.

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #26 of 452
I hope this lowers the retail asking price of O2 and ODAC as a result, competition is always nice.

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #27 of 452
Geez TMRaven, calm down! This review is too long, I had to ctrl+F to find your verdict :D

All joking aside, thanks for clearing this up. Maybe now the Magni/Modi threads will clear up a bit :p

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #29 of 452
Something about the stack and aesthetics that makes it more worthwhile to me. The ODAC is so discreet, and the O2 has a mess of cables in the front. I'd rather hide those away, while the Schiit stack is something I'm proud to have displayed.

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #30 of 452
I hate to say it again but there downfalls (bass distortion) with the ODAC and O2 when using high impedance phones (HD600) on high gains. In response to my question, John from JDS Labs said: "This occurs with O2 when using a strong source/DAC with some headphones. You simply need a higher voltage AC adapter to use high gain. More information can be found on the instructions guide." On the other hand, you can't ever make the Magni portable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back