Comparism Ultrasone hfi580 Audio Technica ad700
Dec 1, 2012 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ch1Kn

New Head-Fier
looking for cheap entrylevel hifi headphones.
was thinking about getting unltrasone or audio technica ad700
i mostly listen to edm.

I live in canada and can get ath  ad700 for 100$ or Ultrasone hfi580 for 150$.
I heard the ad700 has low bass i also think im a bit of a basshead but could settle for less.
my question is for edm, is the ultrasone worth 50$ more then the ath ad700. And how bout if i do the bassmod for the ad700
btw if you don't think i should get either of these do you have anything else to recommend?
Thanks

Oh and can somebody tell me what the ultrasone 650 is? cuz it isnt on the ultrasone website nobody talks about it here and it's on amzon.ca for over 250$ off the list price. Is it worth 200$ ?

Dec 1, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
i mostly listen to edm.

I heard the ad700 has low bass i also think im a bit of a basshead but could settle for less.
my question is for edm, is the ultrasone worth 50$ more then the ATH-AD700. And how bout if i do the bassmod for the ad700
btw if you don't think i should get either of these do you have anything else to recommend?
Thanks

Oh and can somebody tell me what the ultrasone 650 is? cuz it isnt on the Ultrasone website nobody talks about it here and it's on Amazon.ca for over 250$ off the list price. Is it worth 200$ ?

Because of the ATH-AD700s light bass, I never use mine any more.
Check out the Technical Pro HPT990 (Takstar Hi2050) semi-open headphones.

Dec 1, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
i mostly listen to edm.

my question is for edm, is the ultrasone worth 50$ more then the ath ad700. And how bout if i do the bassmod for the ad700
Thanks

Oh and can somebody tell me what the ultrasone 650 is? cuz it isnt on the ultrasone website nobody talks about it here and it's on amzon.ca for over 250$ off the list price. Is it worth 200$ ?

Considering you're a basshead and you listen to EDM, then the HFI-580 are definitely the option to get.

The Ultrasone Pro 650 is a rebrand of the older Proline series, mainly the reason why it's no longer on the Ultrasone site, which only lists Pro series headphones (meaning, no rebranded models). The current model that is the natural upgrade to the Pro 650 is the Pro 750. Instead of getting the Pro 650, getting the Pro 750 would be a more sensible purchase, given that it does everything the Pro 650 does, only better.

Honestly, I think you would do better to get the HFI-580 now, and further down the line getting the Pro 900, which are one of the best headphones for EDM (not only, but also).

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #5 of 7
I personally would not spend the money or even bother making small upgrades in amps like that.  They're not like headphones in which even a small upgrade could be a good upgrade to you on the basis of sound signature alone.

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
I personally would not spend the money or even bother making small upgrades in amps like that.  They're not like headphones in which even a small upgrade could be a good upgrade to you on the basis of sound signature alone.

This^^

I believe nowadays amps have very low distortion due to digital amplification, so basically their primary usage is to properly drive the headphone with correct current. I dont think you would see a difference just by upgrading to another amp, if you already have one.

Dec 2, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
hey do you know if it might be an upgrade in the future to amp this with say a fiio e11 or e17 for about 100$

Since you haven't specified current amps, I'm going under the assumption you currently don't use an amp. If that is the case, then getting a Fiio E11 will be an improvement regarding driving capabilities, but getting an E11 only to later on get an E17 isn't a good purchase if you're looking at E17's amp section alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back