Compare Sony Cd3000 & Grado RS-1
Apr 8, 2002 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Ken

100+ Head-Fier
with our survey that has been in place for about a week it seems the sony cd3000 is as popular as the grado rs-1

both these phones are on my short list .

can i have your thoughts on these 2 phones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2002 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 33
Sony CD3K is (IMO, FWIW) head and shoulders above the RS1. Not to mention cheaper. But I'm known for my disdain for the Grado sound.

Nevertheless, CD3K is a great headphone, I like it better than HD600. But CD3K probably needs a tube amp to soften highs a tad.

markl

Apr 8, 2002 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 33
I heard the CD3k's have a recessed or 'scooped out' midrange. I also heard that because they are so-called 'digital reference 'phones,'' that they are cold and analytical. Is anyone able to vouch for this account of the CD3k's?

Apr 8, 2002 at 10:56 PM Post #6 of 33
The HD600 has the scooped out midrange. CD3K was better in the mids to my ears than HD600. However, I had a tube amp with them so that might have helped.

I wouldn't call them cold, but they have a very "crisp" sound that will turn on detail freaks.

markl

Apr 8, 2002 at 10:57 PM Post #7 of 33
If it matters, this isn't my account of the CD3k's- I had just heard this report of their sound and thought that it was a bit of a bummer. I'm sure they're excellent 'phones otherwise, however, even if they might suffer from the problems aforementioned that someone described when listening to the CD3k's. I'm just curious about their sound, that's all. I haven't heard them yet though.
tongue.gif

Apr 8, 2002 at 11:03 PM Post #8 of 33
They're very different headphones - the CD3000 is bright and detailed, the RS-1 is dark, coloured and muddy. I'm a lot less impressed with the CD3000 than I was (which is why mine are currently for sale), but I like them a hell of a lot better than the RS-1s. I like the Grado sound for some types of music, but I think the SR225 and 325 are the pick of the Grado line up.

Ross

Apr 9, 2002 at 12:46 AM Post #9 of 33
I have heard the entire Grado line up (save for the HP 1000 series) and I can tell you that I think the RS-1s are the definitive phone from them. I have the Ety 4Ps with the 4S adapter and I can tell you that the RS-1s give me 90% of the detail of the Etys which is saying a lot. I don't know of any dynamic phone outside an electrostatic that can resolve like the Etys. The RS-1 comes close. In all seriousness, if the people are saying the RS-1s are muddy, then the HD600s must sound like quicksand, and I don't even want to go near the CD3000s for fear of having my ears bleed with shrill highs. Dark? I would not call them that at all...bright is more like it. Perhaps the CD3000 are brighter, if that is the case, then I can understand why many HD600 fans stay clear away from the Sonys. Coloured? Sure...but I mean, outside of Etymotic, what phone isn't coloured? Hmmm, after this weekend, I guess one would say the R10s. I will know more in 10 days, I just ordered a pair today. Anyhow, before we have a Team Sony vs. Team Grado war going on, why not audition them if you can? Since they are both on your short list, does that imply that you are intending to purchase both? If so, then audition both and grab the one you like the most first!

As for comfort, sure the CD3000s do smoke the Grados, but that does not mean the RS-1s are not comfy. But then again, I am a Grado lover, so take that with a grain of salt.

Good luck!

Apr 9, 2002 at 2:34 AM Post #11 of 33
true the war this weekend was that...but I am refering to the markl against the Grado sound etc...anyway...no wars, just peace among head-fiers
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2002 at 3:02 AM Post #12 of 33
Well, some of the more extreme sects of the different teams(cults) tend to hate every and anything that isn't their certain headphone (see Team R10 and most of Team AKG). This is pretty common, and I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless you have no life and nothing better to do, then worry all you want!

I, myself, am part of Team Headphone and Team Headphone Amp
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2002 at 4:45 AM Post #13 of 33
Where are all those 17 RS-1 owner when you need em?
smily_headphones1.gif

I was hooked on the Sennheiser sound for the longest time, simply because didn't know better. Sometimes it seems like the HD580/600 is all this forum ever talks about. When I finally expanded my headphone experience to Grados and Etys, those Senns really took a back seat.

I started to hate the treble on Senns. I don't really know what to say except for the fact that there was a lot of "ssss" sssoundss. Roll-off maybe? I'm not sure what the term is, but the highs just didn't seem crisp or well-defined to me. A new pair of RS-1's changed all that. The soundstage shrunk a little, but the air between instruments seemed to increase and have more focus. Vocals seemed to originate from a point, instead of everywhere. More importantly, I wasn't falling asleep to the music anymore. It wasn't so boring.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I haven't tried Sony so I won't comment on them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2002 at 6:31 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

I have the Ety 4Ps with the 4S adapter and I can tell you that the RS-1s give me 90% of the detail of the Etys which is saying a lot. I don't know of any dynamic phone outside an electrostatic that can resolve like the Etys.

Then you obviously haven't heard either the AKG K501 or the Sennheiser HD600 through a GOOD amp and source then!

Apr 9, 2002 at 1:38 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

R10s. I will know more in 10 days, I just ordered a pair today.

Congrats Zanth. I hope you enjoy them.

Quote:

but I am refering to the markl against the Grado sound etc

I'm not waging any "war" against Grados. I pick on them to counteract and balance out the fanatical Team Grado that does seem to be more and more quiet these days.

Maybe one should just shut his trap only say good things about headphones you like and no bad things against headphones you don't.

markl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back