Compaq headphone amp?
Apr 6, 2002 at 10:44 AM Post #3 of 7
Dunno. But will tell you when I get back.

I bought this out of curiosity. Received it this morning. Off out to my ship this afternoon and will post some piccies and views later this afternoon.

Sound As Ever
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2002 at 7:23 PM Post #6 of 7
Well, I can tell you that although it carries the COMPAQ logo, it is actually an OEM unit manufactured by Andrea Electronics of New York.

amp.jpg

It's tucked away in my work bag at the moment so from memory. It's oblong shaped and is around 70mm x 30mm x 30mm. It is powered by 2 x AAA cells. Has a captured audio input lead and its output is a 3.5mm jack socket fixed on the end of the unit. The controls are along the side of the unit with a power on/off switch, volume knob and power led. The unit also comes supplied with a beltclip that slides onto the back.

amp2.jpg

Without actually smashing the thing, access to it's internals is not available but I suspect something like a cheap 741 op-amp will have been employed.

I've been using it out and about for the last couple of days with my Sony MZ-R900 and my Sennheiser MX500's. I did notice that the MX500's lost some of their crispness when plugged into the amplifier. Volume is not a problem as the amp goes as loud as you would wish for and then some.

So is it worth the £6? Probably not but then again, that small amount is not gonna break the bank is it?

Sound As Ever
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back