Companies that take advantage of audio enthusiasts
Jun 14, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #16 of 181
And to a large extend if find the overall status of HUGO a joke, built-wise it is no way durable. All the 3.5 jack and digital/rca connectors on HUGO is among the cheapest in the industry. I am also a HUGO owner.

The only product that AK did right is the AK Jr, I am not fan of their other products. Okay Ak100 is also a good digital source but that is about it. 

Jun 14, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #17 of 181
I respect companies like Audeze and Hifiman which produce good products over the years and have developed from startup workshops to successful businesses as they are now. On the other hand I am appalled by Astell & Kern which is basically just iRiver disguised with an European name and keeps pushing out new products every two months with tiny improvements (yet charging $1K more every time). 

AK380 is a complete joke. Standalone, it is barely better than AK240 and still cannot surpass Hugo in terms of SQ (but at a price much higher than AK240 or the Hugo). If you pair it up with the amp module, it basically becomes a desktop amp, or "transportable" amp. At the price of the AK380 plus the amp module, you can basically buy a decent desktop DAC in the 3K range, plus a very good desktop amp - from brands which actually have a reputation in making headphone amps - not iRiver. I respect people who make good headphones and headphone amps and actually put their research efforts into it much more than people who just put together different readily available DAC chips and wrap them with nicer and nicer aluminum bodies and sell them for ridiculous prices.   

I am an AK240 owner but will probably never buy any of their products again.
So you compared the AK380 and 240? I am quite interested, because I have the 240SS, and would only invest in the 380 if it was a reasonable step up without the amp module because I hate unwieldy stacks.

Jun 14, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #18 of 181

+1. I own an AK240 as well an iBasso DX90 and a HiFiMAN HM-650. While the AK240 is far superior to my other two DAPs, it is in no way $2,000 superior. Now iRiver wants $3,500 for the AK380, in hopes that what would have been considered absurd a year or two ago, will now become acceptable and the new norm. I can't speak for others and in no way disparage anyones decision to purchase but it's time for me to exit the iRiver crazy train.

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #19 of 181
I own an AK100II, the frustrating thing about the product is that it gives you the impression that it was made for someone who is just shuffling through a bunch of mp3's and bought it for the looks, I don't feel like it is for a serious music listener.

no cue sheet support, come on!

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #20 of 181
  I own an AK100II, the frustrating thing about the product is that it gives you the impression that it was made for someone who is just shuffling through a bunch of mp3's and bought it for the looks, I don't feel like it is for a serious music listener.

no cue sheet support, come on!

For cue sheet support, consider the Lotoo PAW Gold. There is a company that takes its consumers seriously. It's not an inexpensive DAP but it's quite a piece of hardware. They're also supporting it well. A major firmware update addressed a huge number of issues and suggestions. I like a company that listens.

Jun 18, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #21 of 181

For cue sheet support, consider the Lotoo PAW Gold. There is a company that takes its consumers seriously. It's not an inexpensive DAP but it's quite a piece of hardware. They're also supporting it well. A major firmware update addressed a huge number of issues and suggestions. I like a company that listens.

Thanks for the suggestion. I also like a company that listens. Speaking of which Fiio X1 has cue sheet support. It is not a feature like native DSD that I have to pay premium for, in my opinion. Now that I have the Hugo, I am considering going for a cheaper DAP with digital out.

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #22 of 181
mmm......it's a free market. They propose. We dispose. We vote with our wallets. Hence, we have the final say.  So, what's the problem? Some will find the AK 380 price point ridiculous. Others will find it fairly priced. It is pointless to debate the price issue (or quality issue or value issue)  as there are as many valid opinions as there are educated and informed  consumers. Let the free market determine the fate of the AK380 and just leave it at that. Same with the JH Audio Layla.

Jun 19, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #24 of 181
I'm sat on the fence with the Layla...

Significantly better sounding to these ears than the mainstream TOTL IEMs that sit up to around $1-1.2k but worth double?

Find me something that is better than the $1k models, and similar to the Layla for around 1.5k and I'll be on them like bees around honey

Jun 19, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #25 of 181
I'm sat on the fence with the Layla...

Significantly better sounding to these ears than the mainstream TOTL IEMs that sit up to around $1-1.2k but worth double?

Find me something that is better than the $1k models, and similar to the Layla for around 1.5k and I'll be on them like bees around honey

Once I get into CIEMs, I want to try the Spiral Ear SE 5-way Ultimate, which is €1,599. (About $1,800.) I don't even know the difference between it and the Reference version, which is just €1,219. (Under $1,400.) The description makes it seem rather impressive, and I've heard good things about it. No idea how it compares to the Layla, though.

Jun 28, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #27 of 181

+1. I own an AK240 as well an iBasso DX90 and a HiFiMAN HM-650. While the AK240 is far superior to my other two DAPs, it is in no way $2,000 superior. Now iRiver wants $3,500 for the AK380, in hopes that what would have been considered absurd a year or two ago, will now become acceptable and the new norm. I can't speak for others and in no way disparage anyones decision to purchase but it's time for me to exit the iRiver crazy train.

Sounds like the law of diminishing returns.  Should we be surprised?  
rolleyes.gif

Jun 28, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #28 of 181

Sounds like the law of diminishing returns.  Should we be surprised?  
rolleyes.gif

I'm not really sure about the point you're making but I'm 100% happy with my 1st gen AK240 and have no buyers remorse. I think that all the loose ends that my other two players exhibit are non existent in the AK240 (UI, build, functionality, etc). My complaint is that iRiver seems out of control as far as their pricing and loyalty to their customers. A few months ago, there was all the hype for their new SS model (video and all) extolling the improved SQ and build. Then out of the blue comes the AK380. If the company had any business ethics, they would have given the buyers who were considering the SS, the opportunity to skip the SS and go for the AK380, if their pockets allowed. Those SS purchasers were blind sided. There will always be diminishing returns when you reach the upper stratosphere of any device but to release two majorly expensive DAPs, almost back to back and not give the consumer a chance to decide, is just deceptive.      

Jun 28, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #29 of 181
I'd say customer loyalty toward iRiver is out the window.  I'll never pay full retail for another one of their products.  Maybe when their dealers drop them iRiver will get the hint.

Jun 28, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #30 of 181
  I'd say customer loyalty toward iRiver is out the window.  I'll never pay full retail for another one of their products.  Maybe when their dealers drop them iRiver will get the hint.

+1, I hope something smacks them in the head and gets their attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back