Community help requested. Underlying hiss/static noise in right ear cup
Dec 29, 2011 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Wolvaras

New Head-Fier
EDIT: Thread repurposed, see post 10 for latest info.

After updating my audio drivers today (VIA onboard), I've noticed a high pitch sound when reaching the 20-100 frequency with my HD598's. It's not loud, but it's noticable and it's from both the left and right side. I've tested both with Youtube and .Flac files, and the results are almost the same. I got the test files from here: http://sinan.ussakli.net/basstest/

I've got to add that I've tested the bass frequences before, yesterday even, without this occuring. The audio jack at the back is also pretty shot, as wiggeling the plug just a little bit cuts out the sound in my right cup.

Lastly, the only test file I don't hear the noise is the "100to10step10" one. All the others do have it present.

What could this be? Faulty headphones? Faulty driver? Natural for onboard cards?

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 15
Yes.  There is all kinds of background noise and interference when running sound directly from the soundcard's D/A converter.  This is why so many people invest in external USB D/A converters.

Quote:
Natural for onboard cards?

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 15

Quote:
Yes.  There is all kinds of background noise and interference when running sound directly from the soundcard's D/A converter.  This is why so many people invest in external USB D/A converters.

Well, I've ordered the FiiO E10 today, so we'll know more tomorrow if no obvious answer comes up. Still, why did it start only today and not earlier?

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 15
New software drivers will undoubtedly have an effect on how the digital code gets converted to analog signals.  They may have unintentionally introduced this effect when fixing another problem.  Email the company and let them know this is something they should investigate.  They may even release an update in a few weeks to fix it.

Quote:
Well, I've ordered the FiiO E10 today, so we'll know more tomorrow if no obvious answer comes up. Still, why did it start only today and not earlier?

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
New software drivers will undoubtedly have an effect on how the digital code gets converted to analog signals.  They may have unintentionally introduced this effect when fixing another problem.  Email the company and let them know this is something they should investigate.  They may even release an update in a few weeks to fix it.

I'll make sure it's not just me, as the FiiO bypasses it all. Should it be eliminated, which I expect it to be, I'll mail them about the issue for what it's worth.
Anyone else have some further insight into this? Google has exactly zero accurate results to this problem.

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 15
Alright. The problem has now progressed further, but in a different way. Some songs play completely fine (Pop/vocal), whilst others (Orchestral) are starting to having slight, various distortions. Mostly at complicated or demanding parts of the song. Nothing loud or anything, but it's just enough to make it noticable and annoying. I do really hope it's the drivers/onboard messing it up right at this point, as these headphones are less than 2 weeks old. This is  starting to mess up the enjoyment of my music listening.

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 15
It sounds like the sound card is on the fritz.  Either the new drivers messed it up, or it's on its way out mechanically.  Good thing you ordered the D/A converter.  That will be a nice improvement.

Quote:
Alright. The problem has now progressed further, but in a different way. Some songs play completely fine (Pop/vocal), whilst others (Orchestral) are starting to having slight, various distortions. Mostly at complicated or demanding parts of the song. Nothing loud or anything, but it's just enough to make it noticable and annoying. I do really hope it's the drivers/onboard messing it up right at this point, as these headphones are less than 2 weeks old. This is  starting to mess up the enjoyment of my music listening.

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #8 of 15
So, the FiiO came in today. Plugged it in using the USB provided Nice thing by the way.

Good news: No more high pitch noise in the lower frequencies.
Bad news: I'm now having some kind of hiss in the right ear cup, most noticably when playing orchestral music. As if the sound reaches some kind of cap and the rest is filled with the hiss/static.

It's not loud at all, and its presence goes up and down with the music, but it is noticable. The strange thing is, is that it happens with all 3 of the headphones I've tried (Crappy logitech, Sennheiser 201 and HD598). If I boost the 3K, 6K, 12K and 14K to the max in the equalizer, it gets very noticable. The left cup, bar the regular imperfections of messing up the EQ, stays crystal clear throughout. It's only the right one doing it.

What could this be?

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #9 of 15
I've pinpointed that boosting the 12Khz frequency to max makes the interference most noticable.

If no one here has any idea, could anyone please point me to a place where I could troubleshoot this further? I've paid over 400 dollars to get this setup, and I'm very pleased with it. But this problem is starting to sap the fun a bit from my experience :frowning2:

Dec 31, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #10 of 15
I've messaged Sennheiser about this issue. Them having experience with audio might know what may be causing this. In the mean time, I would very much appreciate some community help with the following to eliminate possible causes. It will only take a minute or two of your time, but massively help me out. I would do this myself, but I am lacking any other output device to cross reference the phenomenon.

1. Please download this song. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8632815/01%20-%20Honor%20%28Main%20Title%20Theme%20From%20%27%27The%20Pacific%27%27%29.mp3
It's a personal favorite of mine, and sadly one where the interference is pretty obvious.
2. Listen to the song up until the 0:45 mark. If possible, shift the balance from left and right to check if you can hear any differences. Most noticably when the drum hit, and from 28 seconds onward. Confirm if you hear any imperfection, distortion, interference or some sound that doesn't play in the left ear cup.
3. If nothing is noted. Boost the 12Khz to the limit, then redo step two. Besides the obvious imbalance, see if you can spot anything out of the ordinary on the right cup.
Personally, I've noticed a crackle or two when the drums hit, and some kind of vibration at 28 seconds onward. See if you can spot it as well.

If I'm the only one, then I can be sure it's something with my set up. If not, then I must check if it's the file itself or from what I'm playing it from.

Thanks.

Jan 1, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #12 of 15
Hmm, have you made sure that it is the headphone itself causing the unusual distortions?  Do you still hear that noise when using sources other than your pc?

Jan 1, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #13 of 15
That's exactly my problem. If I had any other source I wouldn't have asked Head-fi. My only other "source" is my phone, which has a silly flat USB port that doesn't fit anything.

Jan 1, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #14 of 15
Do you have any other headphones or speakers in your possession?  Maybe you can try to hear if they produce the same distortion.

Jan 1, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #15 of 15
Thanks for taking them time to reply.

I've been able to do that, yes. The result is that all 3 headphones (Logitech Clearchat, HD201, HD598) have the same similar distortion at the same points, most noticably with instrumental/orchestral songs. That's why I came up with asking Head-fi for assistance with post #10, as I don't have any other PC or suitable audio device to see if it's the PC case/hardware, a string of songs with similar distortions. or possibly something software related.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back