Comment on my setup (laptop->Cambridge DacMagic->Audioengine A2)
Nov 7, 2008 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

qib

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, i need comments and opinions on a setup which i am about to buy this week. Would this be a good choice or are there cheaper and better options out there? I decided to get a standalone dac (dacMagic) to have options in the future. Would this setup be good, would it work? budget below 320 pounds.

Nov 7, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #2 of 5
My only comment is it'd seem a shame - if using active monitors - not to run the DacMagic balanced - so perhaps I'd also consider some other monitors with balanced inputs, like the Tascam VL-A4s/VL-A5s, or similar from ESI and M-Audio.

Nov 7, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #3 of 5
Nothing wrong with that setup. Of course, if you start enjoying speaker listening, you'll probably start to climb the slippery slope of speaker upgrades in no time. (especially since the A2's will benefit from some kind of subwoofer to help out the low end)

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My only comment is it'd seem a shame - if using active monitors - not to run the DacMagic balanced - so perhaps I'd also consider some other monitors with balanced inputs, like the Tascam VL-A4s/VL-A5s, or similar from ESI and M-Audio.

The best benefit of balanced signal paths in pro audio is avoiding ground loops/hums. I think for speakers in the ~$200 range worrying about a balanced signal path to the speakers isn't worth the trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back