Coming to the States next week, what shoul I prepare in mind?
Jul 29, 2008 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Lil' Knight

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, next Saturday I'll fly off to the States to begin my poor-college-student life
biggrin.gif

I intend to live with my family 2 weeks in VA before moving to my college dorm in OH.
So many things right now to prepare
frown.gif

Could you guys suggest me something to prepare? What's the lifestyle in VA and OH? The food? The weather? And most importantly, the headphones
biggrin.gif
Is there any big store that I can audition high-end HPs?

Thanks for all the input.

Jul 29, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 20
You'll probably want some warm clothes for the winter.

Get involved when you get to school. Join some clubs and groups - the other students will take you around and show you everything. One of my fraternity brothers is from Indonesia. We took him everywhere and caught him up on all the cultural stuff. Lots of fun and he loved it. Just get out there and meet people who will take you around.

Also, you should try to head west for the big meet next year!

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #4 of 20
What school in Ohio will you be attending?

Jul 29, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What school in Ohio will you be attending?

Hiram College
smily_headphones1.gif

I intend to come to a electronic workshop to buy some DIY stuffs, does any city have RadioShack store?

Jul 29, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #6 of 20
For oversea student, my personal experience is that you should open a bank account as soon as possible, preferably at a local bank near the school. Also, try getting a local map (google with do) and familiarize with the surrounding area near the school. I often found that Asian (or people of a specific ethnicity) like to stick only to their own group, which is fine for feeling-like-home but terrible for making new friends of different culture. Don't confine yourself to that kind of situation. Remember: Meeting people of different background is the best part of an oversea student's life.

Jul 29, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hiram College
smily_headphones1.gif

I intend to come to a electronic workshop to buy some DIY stuffs, does any city have RadioShack store?

RadioShacks are all over the country. You should have not problem locating one. However, they are really really expensive. Buy whatever you need off of an internet site like partsexpress.com. I used to go to Radio Shack a lot, but now I only go when I need something ASAP.

The Ohio area (especially Cincinnati) is know for its chili. My favorite is to get it topped on a hotdog with cheese.

Jul 29, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #8 of 20
Well, it looks like Hiram College is in a tiny town (have you been there?) so there probably isn't much to do or see in town. It's fairly close to Akron and Cleveland which are full cities, but a 30-60 minute drive away (will you have a car?).

There are some RadioShacks in nearby towns about 12 miles away.

Jul 29, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For oversea student, my personal experience is that you should open a bank account as soon as possible, preferably at a local bank near the school. Also, try getting a local map (google with do) and familiarize with the surrounding area near the school. I often found that Asian (or people of a specific ethnicity) like to stick only to their own group, which is fine for feeling-like-home but terrible for making new friends of different culture. Don't confine yourself to that kind of situation. Remember: Meeting people of different background is the best part of an oversea student's life.

Exactly what I think
smily_headphones1.gif

First think I must do is open an account for Paypal to damage my wallet later
smily_headphones1.gif

I wonder if it's a trouble to use PP with a confirmed address is my school? I have a PP address but it's in my country and for what I know until now, most of head-fiers here require confirmed address to sell me stuffs
frown.gif

And oh, my school has only a few Asians. Time to stick with other guys rather than playing in a small group. Really don't want to be a big fish in a small pond.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashnolan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RadioShacks are all over the country. You should have not problem locating one. However, they are really really expensive. Buy whatever you need off of an internet site like partsexpress.com. I used to go to Radio Shack a lot, but now I only go when I need something ASAP.

The Ohio area (especially Cincinnati) is know for its chili. My favorite is to get it topped on a hotdog with cheese.

Wow. I really don't know that RadioShack sell expensive stuffs
eek.gif
Whenever I saw you guys here ask for something, the answer is always:"Get it at the Shacks!". That make me feel that they sell various stuffs at good price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it looks like Hiram College is in a tiny town (have you been there?) so there probably isn't much to do or see in town. It's fairly close to Akron and Cleveland which are full cities, but a 30-60 minute drive away (will you have a car?).

There are some RadioShacks in nearby towns about 12 miles away.

Yup, for what I know, Hiram is a small town (if not a village).
This is the first time I go to the States, and, of course, I can't drive lol.

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Exactly what I think
smily_headphones1.gif

First think I must do is open an account for Paypal to damage my wallet later
smily_headphones1.gif

I wonder if it's a trouble to use PP with a confirmed address is my school? I have a PP address but it's in my country and for what I know until now, most of head-fiers here require confirmed address to sell me stuffs
frown.gif

And oh, my school has only a few Asians. Time to stick with other guys rather than playing in a small group. Really don't want to be a big fish in a small pond.

You probably need an bank account first before you can open a Paypal account (for verification purpose). School address is fine but you have to make sure the address is not to any school department but the address of your dorm room (this is assuming your school provides some kind of centralized mail forwarding service like my old school used to do). If you are going to the orientation, ask the orientation volunteers there. If not, ask the people in mail service of the school on how they handle mail.

Jul 29, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Yup, for what I know, Hiram is a small town (if not a village).
This is the first time I go to the States, and, of course, I can't drive lol.

Not a whole lot of villages left in the US....just about everything that small is just a "small town" in the common vernacular.

And yeah, if you can't drive, you'll need to make friends - fast. Especially if there aren't any restaurants within walking distance of the college.

Jul 29, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #12 of 20
As mentioned, get a bank account, mailing address, credit card and Paypal account established after you move. Then you can get DIY supplies via the internet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonicLemming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not a whole lot of villages left in the US....just about everything that small is just a "small town" in the common vernacular.

It looks like Hiram is actually one of the few villages, at least according to Wikipedia - Hiram, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jul 29, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like Hiram is actually one of the few villages, at least according to Wikipedia - Hiram, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah, it just seems the word "village" has fallen out of common use in the modern American language, having been replaced with "small town" which I guess is the same thing, but has less of the rural, 1700s feel to it.

Jul 29, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #14 of 20
Please don't be one of those people who only hangs out with a certain ethnic group, it will not help you in the end. What will end up happening is that you live in a different country that will feel very much like the other one. Plus, I am against cliques!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back