Coming soon...K340 vs DT990
Jun 1, 2006 at 7:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Baycode

Headphoneus Supremus
Today I am going to visit my universitys radio. I met a lady there who makes programmes and she invited me to share my cd's. I will bring my AKG K340 with me as well. The station uses Beyerdynamic DT990. I have a chance to compare them now. Oh, lady DT990 vs boy K340
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #2 of 4
I am here again. The mini meeting was useful. I had 1 hour to spend at the radio station before the midday news began. I have compared the headphones.

Test CD's were as follows:

Vivaldi -The 4 seaons-
"the 4 seasons, op.8 nos.1-4"

Gregorian -Masters of Chant Chapter II-
"moment of peace"
" the first time ever I saw your face"

Depeche Mode -The Singles 86>98-
"stripped"
"a question of lust"

The source: I am sorry but forgotten to note. In the near future I will edit this line. But as I could remeber player was from the Sony's professional line.

Headphones:
Beyerdynamic DT990
AKG K340 (modded and recabled)

While or after listening to each song I took notes. My average scores and notes are on the below. Some may find useful or some may not but I dont like to write huge things, I preffer to rank.

.....................K340 / DT990

Freq range........8,5 / 9
Highs q..............8 / 9,3
Mids q...............10 / 8
Bass q...............8 / 9,3
Distortion..........9,5 / 9
Separation..........9 / 8
Detail.................10 / 9
Binaural effect.....10 / 8
Comfort..............8,5 / 8,5
Isolation.............6,3 / 2,6

Notes:
DT990 gives you the feeling as you are sitting on the front row of a concert hall while K340 pushes you on the middle rows.

For my perception sound is colored with the DT990 while K340 gives you the raw sound.

Bass is stronger with DT990 but when I push K340 with a little force to my ears they become equal. I think K340 needs more clamping force. May be because of aging or design it gives less pressure to your ears.

At the 250 ohms DT990 is easier to drive while at the 400 ohms K340 is harder to drive. Volume knob was on the 5 for the DT990 while it was between 7 and 8 to get equal amount of sound for the K340.

It is hard to explain for me but while listening to K340 my soul melts in to the sound or may be the sound melts in to my soul. I get myself very loosen and relaxed. But while listening to DT990 you never get that feeling. It brings the image very clearly. But there is no chance to relax since the musicians are playing very close to you.

For the comfort issue both headphones gets the same numbers but they are different. DT990 clamps tighter while K340 is looser. I found the headband of K340 more comfortable. K340 is heavier than DT990. But after comparing everything for the comfort issue I could not decide which one is the best. They are both comfortable to me. PS: my K340 has velour earpads like the DT990.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back