Coming from Triple Fi/ IE8, what next? UM3x or Westone 3?
Nov 26, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #16 of 27
A couple of weeks ago, I was getting quite close to getting either the UM3x or W3. What stopped me though was that I wasn't able to decide between the two. The last thing I want is to end up with another pair of IEMs which don't excite me.

I know that I will be happy with the JH13s but I need to overcome the mental hurdle associated with the costs of these babies. On top of that, I believe there are JH16s on the way which complicates matters further.

For the time being, I can live with the IE8s. To my ears, with all of my sources other than my D10, they sound good rather than great.

It's a real shame that you can't try top quality IEMs before you buy.

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #17 of 27
Hi Guys

Still stuck with my IE8's which I'm not terribly fond of and have been reading about the Ortofon e-Q7 and they seem to be getting rave reviews. Do you think these might give me what I want? Realistic bass , nice mids and good highs? I liked the highs of the Triple Fi but thougt they lack a little mids and dislike the boomy bass of the IE8s.

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #18 of 27
There are two threads that contain descriptions of the e-Q7. One of them is an appreciation thread devoted to it and the other has comparisons of it along with other IEMs. Both should be easy enough to find on the first page of the portables section of this forum.

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UM3X has less sparkle than the IE 8 does.

When I listen to my UM3x I get a lot more sparkle than I get from the IE8s recessed treble. In fact I think the UM3x beats the IE8 in all regards including bass.

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #20 of 27
i found the treble on the W3 to be a bit harsh, which is why i got the UM3X instead. i prefer it to the TF10 as well, so much more comfortable to say the least, i wish the 3x had the tf10 stage width but its not a big issue for me.

but yeh its hard if you cant try before you buy! fortunately where i am there are several shops to try em on. But doing your homework on head-fi helps alot too.

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #21 of 27
If it's just wire damage on the triple fi's couldn't you just get them reshelled into customs?

Mar 12, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #22 of 27
I had most of those, plus the Westone 3s. I liked the W3s the most, but wasn't totally happy with either of them. Still have the UE10pros and the Shure SE530s (for gym duty), but I sold off everything else and pre-ordered the JH16 Pros. It will be my first custom IEM, but when I have added up all the interim costs spent on all these universals for incremental improvements and better fit, I have realized that I had spent more than if I had gone to the customs route.

It was a calculated leap of fate on my part, but I do not have a home system, so I'm all Head-Fi...:)

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by TCD1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I listen to my UM3x I get a lot more sparkle than I get from the IE8s recessed treble. In fact I think the UM3x beats the IE8 in all regards including bass.

I wouldn't call the treble on the IE8 recessed, at least not from a frequency response standpoint. The sensitivity is there and isn't dropping off one bit even up to 15kHz (limit of my hearing). It is however soft on detail, and that does somewhat significantly smooth over the top end. There's a lot less crispness and sharpness to the high frequency information of the IE8. The UM3X is a little hotter on the top end as long as you're not using the stock Comply tips, but it emphasizes the lower treble a little bit making the very top end stuff perceivably not so strong to some folks.

The bass is a bit different between the two. Sensitivity wise, the IE8 is stronger. There's a greater visceral (bass shaking) sense. Both extend down to the bottom end nicely. The UM3X has a sharper, more dynamic presentation then the slightly softened/smoothed IE8, so I can agree from energy, impact, and aggressiveness, the UM3X has more bass. For shear output and a visceral experience, the IE8 just has more, although one can lose a bit of this if they wear their IE8s leaky to lessen the midbass emphasis. I do consider the UM3X to be better balanced in the bass department too. Both are largely similar in capability though in the grand sense of things. Because of much of these factors, I largely preferred the UM3X to the IE8 most of the time.

Mar 17, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #24 of 27
Hey Fooey, I came to Westone from the Triple Fi's... couldn't decide between the Westone 3 and UM3X; ended up getting them both in the last month.

I have to pretty much agree with everything mvw2 has said -- his impressions are right on the money.

Personally, I prefer the UM3X and they are indeed closer to UE Trips, but with a more upfront mid and better bass extension/response. The W3's pack more punch, but they do have a spike in the low end... while it does make things more immediately exciting, adding a heavy warmth to everything, they do get fatiguing and I've found myself thinking many times that the low end of the W3s is overdone. I also find the mids -- which is especially apparent in vocals -- tends to get sucked into the mix with the W3s, like they get covered over a little by the lows and highs.

Anyway. Neither sounds bad, but if I had to pick one I'd probably pick the UM3X. Also, both the W3 and UM3X are a million times more comfortable than the Triple Fi's. They sit beautifully in the ear, and the cable feels like you're wearing nothing... with the Trips, I was constantly adjusting them and the heavy wire would keep unseating them from my ear. Plus, I can fall asleep on my side with either of the Westones in my ear.

Mar 17, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #25 of 27
simply put, if you're coming from the Trips and want the treble sparkle of the trips, go for the W3. The Um3xs treble is there, wonderfully detailed but is just subdued compared to the W3 and Tripfi.

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #26 of 27
i couldn't decide between the twom Westone products and I'd been reading so many good things about the Ortofon e-Q7s that i went out and got a pair. I've only had the a few days and haven't had that much time to listen to them but from what I've heard so far, they are glorious.
They took a bit of getting used to because they sound so very different to the IE8s. That constant bass murmur isn't present and I believe these things present music as it was meant to be heard - they are very balanced.
Build quality is top notch though I'm not really a fan of the cord and wish they had a chin collar. These will probably be my last pair of universals. Waiting to see what people think about the JH13s vs JH16s.

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #27 of 27
Moving back and forth between the re-cabled Triples and Westone's UM3X, I can say that they both are very detailed and have energy in both the top and bottom end. The UM3X is more balanced and somewhat flat with a slight emphasis of the mids. It also sounds a little fuller than the Triples; after leaving he EQ on flat or lowering the mids a bit, I can almost feel the music depending on what I'm listening to; the bass extends very low and everything sounds just right.

The Triples have more energy to them, and have a sharper treble which can make them fatiguing after a couple hours; I constantly listen to the UM3Xs for x>3 hours at a time and have no fatigue or discomfort (with complys).

They are both good phones and compliment each other on their weaknesses. Now all I need is an amp and I'll be good forever
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back